The Unmoderated Latina Vocal Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selina :bowdown: Teano Goddess!

Teena Marie did many nice spanish/portugese songs, R.I.P. T

This one should be titled "Legs Wide Open" :ROFL:

attachment.php

Amanda Martinez: Sola

Since I had mentioned it in a previous post, I thought I'd post a picture of Amanda Martinez's "Sola", which I also recommend.

Ray (Satch), when you get the music I have recommended, please post your opinon on them here.

Attachments

• sola.jpg
    sola.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 234
South American passion

Hi Bernard,

It seems we share some music in common after all (you know I am an Italian Baroque fan!)............my love of South American music came via Stan Getz with Astrid Gilberto with Bossa Nova and has progressed from there.

So I will start my contribution to this niche thread with this great voice and interpretation..........Leila Pinheiro.

My first album of hers was Coisas Do Brasil, she is a contemporary taking on the genre of Bossa Nova, some Samba and occasional pop.

Try her, especially if you think Astrid Gilberto was for your father, she is showing us that Bossa Nova isn't stuck in the 1950's.

Like you Bernard, I like Chesky's Ana Caram and have a few albums of hers, fabulous voice, fabulous recordings.

You will find Leila Pinheiro here
http://www.amazon.com/Coisas-Do-Bra...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300697682&sr=8-1

Enjoy a Taste of the South as we say around here.

fjeff

Attachments

• Leila Pinheiro.jpg
    Leila Pinheiro.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 268
Hi Bernard,
my love of South American music came via Stan Getz with Astrid Gilberto with Bossa Nova and has progressed from there.
Me too.

So I will start my contribution to this niche thread ....
It certainly is a niche thread, but it has had a lot of views.

with this great voice and interpretation..........Leila Pinheiro.

My first album of hers was Coisas Do Brasil, she is a contemporary taking on the genre of Bossa Nova, some Samba and occasional pop.
I just listened to samples from that album, and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation; it's one I definitely have to order. She certainly is a prolific artist.

Try her, especially if you think Astrid Gilberto was for your father, she is showing us that Bossa Nova isn't stuck in the 1950's.
Astrud Gilberto definitely was not just for my father (who was from Goa and spoke fluent Portuguese); I still enjoy her very much.

Like you Bernard, I like Chesky's Ana Caram and have a few albums of hers, fabulous voice, fabulous recordings.
I have several other Brazilians (and Spanish Latinas) to recommend.

Last edited:
Verve Jazz Masters 9: Astrud Gilberto

It just occurred to me that we cannot have a Latina thread without recommending the one who started it all for a lot of us - Astrud Gilberto. This CD, Verve Jazz Masters 9, has a lot of the Jobim standards plus some other material. Very nice indeed.

Attachments

• astrud.jpg
    astrud.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 273
Eliane Elias: Bossa Nova Stories

I recommended "Bossa Nova Stories" by Eliane Elias in another thread a while ago. She is the Diana Krall of Latin: good looks, great voice, and she plays the piano. She sings the Bossa Nova standards here.

Attachments

• Elias.jpg
    Elias.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 235
Rosa Passos: Curare

I just spent a wonderful time listening to "Curare" by Rosa Passos. She has a gentle, relaxing voice, and I am never tempted to skip tracks.

Attachments

• curare.jpg
    curare.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 199
Putumayo: Latinas and Women of Latin America

Here are a couple of CD's from Putumayo that contain a nice cross-section of songs by Latin American women.

Attachments

• latinas.jpg
    latinas.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 194
  • women.jpg
    women.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 189
"Amor" is the second CD of Amanda Martinez....

.......I'm looking forward to listening to it on the CLX, an opportunity I hope to get when I go to the Montreal Hi-Fi Show later this month.......

Most of her stuff is upbeat, but she does a great job of "Cucurucucu Paloma" (not her composition), which is a sad song.
I just returned from the Montreal show. There were no CLX's, but I did listen to a couple of tracks of this CD in the MBL room. After "Cucurucucu Paloma" concluded, both the exhibitor and one of the visitors asked me the name of the CD and noted it down, so if you were hesitating to buy the CD ......

Last edited:
I just returned from the Montreal show. There were no CLX's, but I did listen to a couple of tracks of this CD in the MBL room. After "Cucurucucu Paloma" concluded, both the exhibitor and one of the visitors asked me the name of the CD and noted it down, so if you were hesitating to buy the CD ......

I just found it... I have some latinas recommendation to you:

Martirio, from Spain...jazz singer
Soledad Gimenez...Presuntos implicados (group)
Tania Libertad (Peru)
Gal Costa (Brazil)
Melina Sarmiento (Argentina)
Marilina Mozzoni (Argentina-tangos)
Cecilia Todd (folk-Venezuela)

You might like some of these fine singers from the latinas world. There are a lot of Mexican latinas singers also.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Soledad Bravo: Homenaje a Alfredo Zitarrosa

Here's a Spanish CD I enjoy: "Homenaje a Alfredo Zitarrosa" by Soledad Bravo from Venezuela. It's a mix of sad (slow) and fast. She has a mature voice that is a bit on the rough side at times, but it seems to be really appropriate.

Attachments

• bravo.jpg
    bravo.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
So I will start my contribution to this niche thread with this great voice and interpretation..........Leila Pinheiro.

Jeff, I finally got the album, and like her voice. I enjoy a lot of the tracks, but find that some are over-orchestrated; I tend to like just a few acoustic instruments, and really dislike the electric guitar when it is used in this kind of music. It just seems incongruous to hear an electric guitar in the mix.

Gomez.jpg

MARTA GOMEZ: EL CORAZON Y EL SOMBRERO

I just received an email from CD Baby, advising me that there is a new Marta Gomez CD, and since I am a big fan of hers, decided to buy it. As I have an amazon gift card, I went to the amazon.ca site, but they don't have it, so I tried amazon.com, and sure enough they have it, but amazon will not ship the CD to Canada. This is really insane, where a US company like amazon will not ship to Canada. Does anyone understand the (lack of) logic? I managed to order it from an independent seller on amazon. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
View attachment 14270

I just received an email from CD Baby, advising me that there is a new Marta Gomez CD, and since I am a big fan of hers, decided to buy it. As I have an amazon gift card, I went to the amazon.ca site, but they don't have it, so I tried amazon.com, and sure enough they have it, but amazon will not ship the CD to Canada. This is really insane, where a US company like amazon will not ship to Canada. Does anyone understand the (lack of) logic? I managed to order it from an independent seller on amazon. Looking forward to it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...MARTA+GOMEZ:+EL+CORAZON+Y+EL+SOMBRERO&x=0&y=0

Try the UK website, they have it and will ship to Canada. I have purchsed several disks from them and have been happy with the purchases. Sometimes, you can actualy save money and sometimes you don't.

Jeff, I finally got the album, and like her voice. I enjoy a lot of the tracks, but find that some are over-orchestrated; I tend to like just a few acoustic instruments, and really dislike the electric guitar when it is used in this kind of music. It just seems incongruous to hear an electric guitar in the mix.
Hi Bernard,

Yes, this is can be a challenge as younger artists and arrangers produce 'older' music with their contemporary 'take' on the genre. I hear similar concerns about Jamie Cullum doing jazz in a rock way.

If nothing else, she is keeping a genre alive and hopefully introducing another generation to it. Me? I can live with it but like you, I tend to seek out my old Verve releases with Getz, Jobim and Gilberto.

Take care

Jeff

Boleros.jpg

SOLEDAD BRAVO: BOLEROS

I just discovered a new (to me) album by Soledad Bravo that has a collection of nicely done, slow (with the exception of one) songs. The infuriating thing is that it is available only as an MP3 download, not as a CD. It is amazing that at a time when some artists are insisting on their stuff being made available on vinyl, others are content with MP3, but of course it's ultimately a question of commercial viability.

Edit to add stuff: The insanity continues....this album is not available on amazon.ca, and amazon.com as well as amazon.co.uk will not allow me to download it because of geographical restrictions. So now I have to get a relative in the US to download it for me and ship it to me on a CD. I wonder what genius thought up these legal restrictions.

Last edited:
Xiomara.jpg

XIOMARA LAUGART: LA VOZ

Here's another excellent recording from Chesky, with the added benefit of an SACD layer. She has a deep, throaty voice, and does a great job of some old standards as well as new stuff I have not heard before.

It's interesting to hear her sing "Besame Mucho" accompanied only by a bass player, at the end of which she extemporizes, and then after she stops singing a couple of instruments join in to conclude the song. Very nice !

AfriSpaans.jpg
MARTA GOMEZ: AFRI-SPAANS

Okay, I'm nuts about Marta Gomez. I noticed another CD on Amazon, this time South African songs translated into Spanish. There is a YouTube interview with her, and it includes extracts of a couple of songs, which sound really great; the last one in particular is wonderful. Needless to say, I have ordered the CD. Now if only our damned postal strike would be over, so I can get the two CD's of hers I have ordered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZwmLq5sRQ

Last edited:
I received the CD today; it was great accompaniment to my lunchtime roasted chicken sammich. Another delightful CD from Marta, where she has set music to the poems of Federico Garcia Lorca. Caveat: to me she can do no wrong. Recommended.

XIOMARA LAUGART: XIOMARA

Another nice CD from Xiomara, again on the Chesky label. The first track is quintessentially Cuban. I like a lot of the other tracks, but have one major reservation: the famed "Moliendo Cafe". She sings it well, but the song is screwed up by the damned electric guitar. It sounds like crap on this track.

Attachments

• xiomara.jpg
    xiomara.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 149
Back