Which way to go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could truly bipass the interernal amp that would be a great option to have. I can't see why an audiophile who has a high quality amp would want to use an amplified speaker, chances are the stand alone amp they have will blow away the built in amp.

If you could truly bipass the interernal amp that would be a great option to have. I can't see why an audiophile who has a high quality amp would want to use an amplified speaker, chances are the stand alone amp they have will blow away the built in amp.

Not if the amps come after the crossover - ie. truly active. That has real benefits!

I don't own the Purity. I based my comments on 'bypassing' the internal amplifier based on a couple of reviews such as this link:
http://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-purity-hybrid-electrostatic-loudspeaker-reviewed/

On re-reading the review and a couple of others, it's still unclear, but there are suggestions that an audiophile power amplifier may produce 'better' results - go figure. It would seem, however, that it is true that the internal power amplifier is NOT bypassed (?)

Regardless. I stand by my comments about the merits of the Purity. It is an outstanding speaker. The panel seems more open and coherent, and the bass is fast and deep. I would suggest that Purity is showing the way of future ML products in the lower to mid price band. :cheers:

P.S. What ML should do is during the next Purity upgrade, is include balanced/XLR inputs. I run a fully balanced system, and the Purity would have more appeal to the true audiophile if it was so equipped.

Last edited:
I don't own the Purity. I based my comments on 'bypassing' the internal amplifier based on a couple of reviews such as this link:
http://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-purity-hybrid-electrostatic-loudspeaker-reviewed/

On re-reading the review and a couple of others, it's still unclear,

Mmmmmmmm - well, sub-editing doesn't seem to exist these days. There are far too many reviewers that just say what sounds right without actually listening or researching.

A good sub-editor should be picking up holes in the text, ambiguities, things that contradict, etc. Nothing should be unclear as you say.

It's so easy for anyone halfway educated to see through, but that's the way it seems to be these days.

This is a general comment and not a comment directed at the linked review or anything else.

If you do want a specific example, just look at the Australian Hi-Fi July'09 and September'09 reviews of different Sonique loudspeakers by different reviewers.....what a joke!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back