Building the new room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, more initiative to keep me skinny :)

hmmm, must be an optical illusion, the only openings in the exterior walls are the window (mostly behind the wardrobe/closet) and the patio sliders. there is no window in the workroom area. pity.

It looks like either boxes on a table or white laundry tubs below a window in the room beside the work shop room. What looks like a window can also be seen through the framed opening in the wall that accesses that space in the first picture.
If it's not a window is it something hanging on the wall?

On the topic of what does what on corner traps, my understanding is that the stuffed full of insulation type is more of a broad band absorber. The hollow type with a membrane skin (w/some batt aft) is a resonator which can be tuned to a much lower frequency (if lucky). I have books on the topic, but I'm sure I cannot find them quickly.

The plan below slightly modified from the original, A3 (Absorber-3) is a 16" deep whole/mid-wall absorber in lieu of rear corner bass traps. The shop in fact acts as a hollow cavity and gives excess bass some where to die down.

Real tube traps and not the homemade rolls of batt covered in fabric interest me, the price of course does not interest me. I'm sure tube traps work, but the deeper the bass trap the better it works and tube traps wider than aunt Bertha would be scary.

The A3 wall could also be the staggered stud wall type use between apartments.

Attachments

• Zap.door.jpg
    Zap.door.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
That's exactly what I was thinking, since you did not give us all the information -that there are doors leading into the common hallway.

It looks like either boxes on a table or white laundry tubs below a window in the room beside the work shop room. What looks like a window can also be seen through the framed opening in the wall that accesses that space in the first picture.
If it's not a window is it something hanging on the wall?

gotcha - that is indeed in another room, beside the workshop, and there is a supporting wall between the rooms. and the furnace/plenums. and the window is at grade. but trumping it all is the fact that this space is marked for my wife's craft area. so, unfortunately no door going there :)

here is an overview of the entire basement floor plan. emphasis on "plan" as there is nothing but studs, concrete and a bit of drywall. the parts that i've been talking about here can be seen as the top third of the floor plan.

Attachments

• 6107.floor.jpg
    6107.floor.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 84
On the topic of what does what on corner traps, my understanding is that the stuffed full of insulation type is more of a broad band absorber. The hollow type with a membrane skin (w/some batt aft) is a resonator which can be tuned to a much lower frequency (if lucky). I have books on the topic, but I'm sure I cannot find them quickly.

The plan below slightly modified from the original, A3 (Absorber-3) is a 16" deep whole/mid-wall absorber in lieu of rear corner bass traps. The shop in fact acts as a hollow cavity and gives excess bass some where to die down.

Real tube traps and not the homemade rolls of batt covered in fabric interest me, the price of course does not interest me. I'm sure tube traps work, but the deeper the bass trap the better it works and tube traps wider than aunt Bertha would be scary.

The A3 wall could also be the staggered stud wall type use between apartments.

interesting George... i notice that you also changed the door to be more inside the room, that means that the angle wall by the patio door would then be an exteriour wall.

so the two corner walls (not A1/A2, but the other ones) will have no batts in them. interesting.

i don't know if it was clear in the pictures, but the rear couch will be on a riser, full of insulation to prevent resonance,

the angle wall by the patio door would then be an exteriour wall.
Opps, I thought that was the hallway, so made it so you could get things in the room. Acute angles are hard to build, just making it easier to build.

You do not need a raised platform if going with the tall table/bar and stools. Has this changed back to your first concept?

I'm sure the raised platform can be made to act as a bass absorber with some trickery.

Opps, I thought that was the hallway, so made it so you could get things in the room. Acute angles are hard to build, just making it easier to build.

You do not need a raised platform if going with the tall table/bar and stools. Has this changed back to your first concept?

I'm sure the raised platform can be made to act as a bass absorber with some trickery.

nope, not changed the plans. - okay here's the plan, errr goal.

i'd like to have a comfortable area for conversation/visiting as much as an area for watching movies/2channel. i would like "seating" for 8ish so that my wife and I can host movie/discussion nights. 8 is about right for a discussion.

the front sofa should be able to seat 3 or 4, the small rear sofa 2 or 3 and bar stools another 2. because the CRT enclosure is behind the front sofa and only 6'6" above the floor, i don't imagine a center barstool - that is why only two, although the table would extend the whole width behind that sofa.

there is 3'6" from the back of the front sofa to the edge of the riser, and the riser has a 12" ledge in front of the small sofa so i think that i have enough room for a thin table (10 or 11 inches) like the last example picture you posted. when not in use the chairs tuck under the table nice and clean. when in use, the sightlines of the people in the rear sofa would not be impaired (another reason not to have a center barstool).

would someone want to watch a movie in a barstool chair? dunno, well i do know actually - some people do like it. go figure.

so nope, haven't discarded the tall table/stools, i really like it and in fact, i should toss it into the drawings.

so nope, haven't discarded the tall table/stools, i really like it and in fact, i should toss it into the drawings.
Nice bar stools with nubs of a back and feet catchers are nice. However bar stools may be dangerous when combined with a raised platform because the higher they are, the farther they fall comes rule into effect. Murphy's Law also comes into play. People do stupid things, and in the dark much worse. You have no control over what they do behind your back.

The more details you put into the drawing the more you can live there in your imagination first - which is what a good designer does. I've gone so far as to build a scale model complete with tiny M/L speakers.

Zap, from what you have told me, and considering that the number 6-8 persons could possibly be children or teens (just a guess), I think four small ottomans like tiny mushrooms along the rear side walls would be better than bar stools scuffing up the wall and having some members look down on others.

Peripheral vision is also a factor to think about from a seating position.

The bar stool idea stemmed from the idea of looking over a sofa without building a platform, it has little other value in a HT.

Is that projector hanging from the ceiling? If not, then why not? Right where the projector is may be prime real estate you want to open up and free.

i was thinking that the bar stools would go in the 3 or 4 foot space between the riser and the front sofa, not on the riser. brrr, that would indeed be scary :)

i have a couple of ottomans from the old room, i'm sure they'll get tossed into the mix. at some point.

and yep, that PJ is hanging from the ceiling. but the enclosure is about 14 or so inches tall, so on an 8 foot ceiling, that makes only 6' 6" or so under the PJ. put someone on a barstool and they can start to approach that height.

Bar and Audio always go well together ! :music:
I went to your members system, sadly no photos of the bar and relation to listening chair. Can you post a photo in this thread CAP?

Back