Purity Set Up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
Is it possible to use Purity speakers with an ML subwoofer in a 2.1 setup without any sort of amp or receiver? I'm trying to save space in this room, and don't really have anywhere to put a receiver.
Thanks

Yes, you need a cd player with volume control on the rca outs, or for instance a Logitech Transporter with attenuators if you stream music from your computer.

How would the wiring work, in terms of what connects to where? I looked at both manuals, and I have an idea, but I'd rather not play trial and error with expensive equipment and a lot of electricity.

If you follow the manual you are safe. I dont see what could go wrong.
Either you use the line input from a preamp or cd player (very important it has a volume control that works on the rca outputs or you will be playing at full volume!!) or you use the speaker outputs from for instance a Nad Viso 2 receiver/dvd combo (this will give you an amplifier, radio, cd7dvd player in one unit).

Neither the manual for the Purities nor the manual for the subwoofer talk specifically about a line level 2.1 setup without any sort of preamp, amp, or receiver.

With just the two speakers, using line level connections two cables come from the source, and one goes to each speaker. Since there are only two, it obviously means you can't send one to each speaker and a third to the sub. Does that mean both wires from the source go to the sub, and then from the sub one goes to each Purity?

EDIT: The subwoofer manual does say:
"Connect the left and right outputs of your preamplifier
to the left and right inputs of the Dynamo using quality
RCA interconnects. If your preamplifier only has one set
of outputs you may need to obtain Y adapters from your
dealer. "

Does that mean I need to get an adapter that splits each RCA wire, such that it goes from the source to the subwoofer and the Purities without passing through anything?

Last edited:
Neither the manual for the Purities nor the manual for the subwoofer talk specifically about a line level 2.1 setup without any sort of preamp, amp, or receiver.

With just the two speakers, using line level connections two cables come from the source, and one goes to each speaker. Since there are only two, it obviously means you can't send one to each speaker and a third to the sub. Does that mean both wires from the source go to the sub, and then from the sub one goes to each Purity?

EDIT: The subwoofer manual does say:
"Connect the left and right outputs of your preamplifier
to the left and right inputs of the Dynamo using quality
RCA interconnects. If your preamplifier only has one set
of outputs you may need to obtain Y adapters from your
dealer. "

Does that mean I need to get an adapter that splits each RCA wire, such that it goes from the source to the subwoofer and the Purities without passing through anything?
Yes, you would actually need two Y-adapters. 1 for left channel and 1 for the right channel. 1 pair to the Puritys and the other pair to the left/right input of the sub.

Back