My First Impressions of the CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJRapp

Reaction score
I finally got an opportunity to see and hear the CLX today. First of all I must say that when pictures were first posted I called the CLX look...cobbled together in someone's garage. I now retract that statement. The fit and finish of the cherry speakers I got to audition is typical ML, which is to say top-notch. However, there is no way that I can call the speakers all that attractive. They are what I might term, an "audiophiles child" something only a mother could love in the visual sense. Understand that is just my opinion and UMMV.

Fortunatly, ugly children frequently have virtues that make them lovable in their own way and that is certainly the case with the CLX. The sound.... the sound...well it's very hard to explain without waxing into superlatives. Clear, concise, coherent, convincing and classy are the words that pop into my mind. Even though the entire suite of electronics being used (Krell SS pre, Krell SS Monos and a Meridian 808.2) was not to my taste, it was very evident that the CLX needs to be considered as being in a class by itself.

Last edited:
I finally got an opportunity to see and hear the CLX today. First of all I must say that when pictures were first posted I called the CLX look...cobbled together in someone's garage. I now retract that statement. The fit and finish of the cherry speakers I got to audition is typical ML, which is to say top-notch. However, there is no way that I can call the speakers all that attractive. They are what I might term, an "audiophiles child" something only a mother could love in the visual sense. Understand that is just my opinion and UMMV.

Fortunatly, ugly children frequently have virtues that make them lovable in their own way and that is certainly the case with the CLX. The sound.... the sound...well it's very hard to explain without waxing into superlatives. Clear, concise, coherent, convincing and classy are the words that pop into my mind. Even though the entire suite of electronics being used (Krell SS pre, Krell SS Monos and a Meridian 808.2) was not to my taste, it was very evident that the CLX needs to be considered as being in a class by itself.

Go back and have Eliot hook up the ARC gear. You haven't heard the CLX's yet.

I guess Im spoiled as I have only heard them with big tubes ! :ROFL:

Go back and have Eliot hook up the ARC gear. You haven't heard the CLX's yet.

That's what I would have liked..he had an ARC Ref 3 sitting right there. I'm not sure E realizes that most peoples hearing isn't quite as shot as his. I had to keep asking to turn down the volume. He was so intent on demonstrating the SPL capabilities of the CLX that I wasn't able to judge how it is with nuances. With the Krell the overall system was so bright as to be painful at high SPL. To be fair I wasn't really there to audition the CLX, but the Meridian, but couldn't really tell much through the haze. I'm taking a different route to audition the 808. If and when I go back to audition the CLXs for real, I will be sure to bring my own discs. I had set aside a collection, but left them home so I was stuck with my "car collection" which are not some of the best audio.

No Tom...not yet at least

Last edited:
That's what I would have liked..he had an ARC Ref 3 sitting right there. I'm not sure E realizes that most peoples hearing isn't quite as shot as his. I had to keep asking to turn down the volume. He was so intent on demonstrating the SPL capabilities of the CLX that I wasn't able to judge how it is with nuances. With the Krell the overall system was so bright as to be painful at high SPL. To be fair I wasn't really there to audition the CLX, but the Meridian, but couldn't really tell much through the haze. I'm taking a different route to audition the 808. If and when I go back to audition the CLXs for real, I will be sure to bring my own discs. I had set aside a collection, but left them home so I was stuck with my "car collection" which are not some of the best audio.

No Tom...not yet at least

When I heard them, he had the dCS front end running thru the ARC gear, with Nordost cabling.

Definately try Sunday's advice i.e. hook up some top flight tube gear. I think you'll find things sound a whole lot more natural and realistic with a top ARC amp.

And as for that English:D DCS kit - that rocks too!

Last edited:
Back