Best Sounding Recording on Your System

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both, in my opinion is the vinyl superior. Wonder if someone had the idea of doing the DSD remaster for SACD.

Jazz:
  • Passion, Grace & Fire: John McLaughlin, Al Di Meloa & Paco De Lucia
  • Rites of String: Stanely Calrke, Al Di Meola, Jean Luc Ponty
  • Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall [LIVE] : comes alive!

Classical:
  • Concerto de Aranjuez [LIVE] : Joanquin Rodrigo, Paco de Lucia, con Orquestra de Cadaquez: In my opinion, there is no better recording on earth of this concierto!
  • Andrés Segovia: The Complete 1949 London Recordings: Segovia plays Bach.

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata
Yukie Nagai, pianist
BIS Records

BI0281.gif

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is often cited in lists of "beautiful" music pieces. It has been said that the composer dedicated it to his pupil, the 17-year-old Countess Giulietta Guicciardi, with whom he was in love.

Of the first movement, Berlioz wrote, "it is one of those poems that human language does not know how to qualify." The recording sets the piano back in the stage, so we hear a lot of ambient information, but also a lot of the instrument and every nuance coaxed out of it by Yukie Nagai.

The third and final movement is nothing short of ferocious. Beethoven was known to break hammers and strings when he played it. On this disc, it has clipped many amps of different kinds! Be warned!

CD-Glen Phillips-live at largo
SACD-Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms
DVDA-Yes-Fragile
DAD-Alan Parsons-I Robot
LP-David Crosby-If I Could Only Remember My Name

Garmtz my lad, it's nice to see great minds think alike !!

1a -LP- Chuck Mangione - Children of Sanchez-the overture ! , The live version recorded at the Hollywood Bowl was pretty good as well.
1b -CD- Shostakovich - Symphony #5 in D minor, Op.47 NY Philharmonic, L. Bernstein

Latest posts

Back