System #114 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lexor:
Oh yes, I forgot about that. A friend suggested this tweak to me a few weeks ago. Tonight I did a little A/B testing using Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings in C major played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Daniele Gatti conducting [Harmonia Mundi Hybrid SACD 807394]. I noticed the violins and violas were a little clearer with the red and black wires split between the binding posts (red upper, black lower), as opposed to both wires connected to the lower binding posts. I have to admit I didn't spend much time testing as I preferred to relax and enjoy some music on a beautiful summer evening.

Bill.

Attachments

• evening.jpg
    evening.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,175
Last edited:
hookup

steroman: thanks for the reply you have a beauitful setup and i am sure the sound is the same.

New Component Stands

After some research I settled on the component stands from Quadraspire (http://www.quadraspire.com/). The vertical posts draw vibrations away from the wooden shelves into the surface under the spiked feet. A picture of the stands is below--in the background you can see the trees are showing their fall colours.
I've been following the thread on speaker platforms. I've been considering using maple wood blocks (http://www.steveblinndesigns.com), but a friend recommends the much more expensive platform from Pro-Ject (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=groundit&cat=accessories&lang=en). Issues 41 and 45 of hi-fi+ magazine have reviews of isolation devices (the best audiophile magazine, IMHO). The reviewer was not impressed with wooden blocks. For speakers they recommend the Symposium Svelte Shelf. I found an interesting discussion on this subject in the thread http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1142&page=1&pp=15. It's amazing how much knowledge is contained on this bulletin board!

Attachments

• new_stand_fall_colours3.jpg
    new_stand_fall_colours3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:
I love that view and you've got the sounds to go along with it. Hardwood floors look sweet. :)

Snowy Summit

Hi:
We've finally had some snow--what's with this weather anyway?
It's very relaxing watching the fish in my "aquarium" while listening to Mozart. :meditate:
I think I now have all of the seasons covered in this thread. :)

Attachments

• summit_winter.jpg
    summit_winter.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 903
Hi:
We've finally had some snow--what's with this weather anyway?
It's very relaxing watching the fish in my "aquarium" while listening to Mozart. :meditate:
I think I now have all of the seasons covered in this thread. :)

Stereoman, I notice a new LCD or Plasma TV, Do tell!

Stereoman, I notice a new LCD or Plasma TV, Do tell!

Oh, you noticed my "aquarium" is actually just a TV in disguise :devil:
The Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD is now front and centre--partially blocking my view. :( I'm using a Pioneer Elite DV-46AV DVD player--the picture quality is much better than the Toshiba I had. It also plays SACD, but I haven't tried this feature yet as it won't work through the HDMI connection. The only DVDs I watch are for background viewing, such as Hawaiian sunsets, California waves, lava lamps, Australian reefs, Hubbell space telescope images, cities of Europe, etc. Music is always the priority :)

Last edited:
Oh, you noticed my "aquarium" is actually just a TV in disguise :devil:
The Sharp Aquas 42" LCD is now front and centre--partially blocking my view. :( I'm using a Pioneer Elite DV-46AV DVD player--the picture quality is much better than the Toshiba I had. It also plays SACD, but I haven't tried this feature yet as it won't work through the HDMI connection. The only DVDs I watch are for background viewing, such as Hawaiian sunsets, California waves, lava lamps, Australian reefs, Hubbell space telescope images, cities of Europe, etc. Music is always the priority :)

Not a movie/TV guy?

The only DVDs I watch are for background viewing, such as Hawaiian sunsets, California waves, lava lamps, Australian reefs, Hubbell space telescope images, cities of Europe, etc. Music is always the priority :)
A true audiophile! ;)

Not a movie/TV guy?

Well, I have to admit my favorite TV programs are South Park and Family Guy :eek:. Also, the HDTV channels from PBS and National Geographic provide a clear and panoramic view on the 42" screen. I had friends over the other day to watch the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They were quite impressed with the bass coming from the Summits during the many scenes with explosions :eek:.

Well, I have to admit my favorite TV programs are South Park and Family Guy :eek:. Also, the HDTV channels from PBS and National Geographic provide a clear and panoramic view on the 42" screen. I had friends over the other day to watch the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They were quite impressed with the bass coming from the Summits during the many scenes with explosions :eek:.

I like that movie! Such fun and entertainment!

I'd like to thank Bill for his gracious hospitality last night and inviting me over to audition his system. It is nothing short of amazing.

As I listened to some of my favorite tracks, I just sat and listened in awe. There is a family resemblace between Bill's Summits and my Clarity's but that's where it stops. There was so much more detail, imaging and depth that it was difficut for me to put into words.

When I got home, I had to listen to the same tracks on my system.. sounded like the Summits but with a blanket between them and me. It was that much of a diffrence.

I also had a chance to listen to some beautiful classical and piano music. Again, I just sat there in awe. I cound evision the pianist hitting the keys it was so real.
Not only does his system sound so good, it looks just as good. I love the new amp.. you have to post some detailed pitcures.. what a work of art!
I also love the simplicity. The Summits, a wonderful integrated tube pre/amp, a fabulous CD player all complimented by exquisite cabling and power conditioning. Wow!

There is definitlly a delicious, elegant, and sultry sound that brings new dimension and a heightened listening experience. This is the type of system that I definitely will aspire to someday. My needs are different and I wold like to integrate full surround for movies as well as wifi streaming. Over time, I hope that I can get the best of both worlds.
I now see the elegeance and beauty of a dedicated 2 channel system.

Thank you so much for the chance to audition!

Mick,

The beauty of the Logans are they certainly share a house sound... when going between the Clarity and the Summits, they share similarities in detail retrieval and what not, but the difference lies in the realism and improved coherence. No doubt, this is the "blanket" you are alluding to.

Enjoy your system! In no time, I'm sure you will become a full-fledged member of the Summit Club.

Joey :)

Hey Joey,
I don't think the Summit's are in my future.. a little rich for a single 'component'. What I am looking at are the Vantages along with some Sunfire gear sometime down the road.
In the mean time, I'm really having a lot of fun and enjoyment with my system. Nice to know what the upper echelons sound like.
It's not the destination, but enjoying the journey.
Cheers,
Mark

I'd like to thank Bill for his gracious hospitality last night and inviting me over to audition his system. It is nothing short of amazing.
Not only does his system sound so good, it looks just as good. I love the new amp.. you have to post some detailed pitcures.. what a work of art!
I also love the simplicity. The Summits, a wonderful integrated tube pre/amp, a fabulous CD player all complimented by exquisite cabling and power conditioning. Wow!
Thank you so much for the chance to audition!

It's fantastic to meet local members of the forum! MickeyVee, I'll take you up on your offer to
visit your downtown condo. Here's a picture of my new system. The EAR V20 integrated
amp and the Summits are indeed a match made in heaven ...

Attachments

• new_amp.jpg
    new_amp.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
System Profile Update

A few months ago I made two changes to my system that resulted in a significant improvement. First, I purchased the EAR Acute CD player (http://www.audiorevelation.com/cre/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=309). My dealer (http://mykindofmusic.com/) gave me a full credit on the Audio Aero Prima that I purchased from him just over one year ago. Secondly, I replaced the PS Audio PowerPlant AC conditioner and PS Audio AC cables with the just-released Foundation Research LS10 Power Filters (http://www.stereotimes.com/acc032703.shtml).

Our former club Prez, Jason Liu, and another club member came over yesterday for a listen. There was not much talking, as we were experiencing music like none of us have heard from a home stereo system. It was an enjoyable evening, and dare I say it, but I think my system upgrading days are over :)

Afterwards we went with Jason to the parking garage to see his new car, the BMW M3 (http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3gtr.asp). What a beaut!

Attachments

• new_ear_amp_cd_player1.jpg
    new_ear_amp_cd_player1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 637
  • new_ear_amp_cd_player.jpg
    new_ear_amp_cd_player.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
Hi:
A few months ago I came across an e-bay seller offering neon signs of images supplied by customers. For only $10, plus $30 shipping from Hong Kong, I decided to give it a try with the MartinLogan logo. The logo is etched in glass. It's a neat conversation piece. The seller is no longer on e-bay, so I guess I have a one-of-a-kind :)

Attachments

• ml_sign.jpg
    ml_sign.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 603
Hi:
A few months ago I came across an e-bay seller offering neon signs of images supplied by customers. For only $10, plus $30 shipping from Hong Kong, I decided to give it a try with the MartinLogan logo. The logo is etched in glass. It's a neat conversation piece. The seller is no longer on e-bay, so I guess I have a one-of-a-kind :)

Wayne (theWB) has one... it's a nice logo sign. What are those two glass things flanking the sign? Are those part of it or just a way to get it to stand up?

Latest posts

Back