Absolute Sound Summit complaint

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rynopr

The Absolute sound gave the Summits an excellent write up this March. The author seemed to love them with one exception. He complained about the verticle soundstage. Is it just an issue of his equipment, or can one never hope to gain a higher than the speaker soundstage with ML's?

rynopr said:
The Absolute sound gave the Summits an excellent write up this March. The author seemed to love them with one exception. He complained about the verticle soundstage. Is it just an issue of his equipment, or can one never hope to gain a higher than the speaker soundstage with ML's?

I thought he ment that the sound level drops off when standing. He also mentioned it was not an issue in his normal seated position. But as far as I can tell when seated the soundstage is wide, deep and tall corresponding to that which was captured on the recording itself. I have not noted any height limitation.....Steve

rynopr said:

Was he complaining that it wasn't high enough? I've not noticed that issue with any MLs. The first time I listened to Prodigys a few years ago, I thought at times, the vertical soundstage was actually too high.

I think the author of the review means that the speakers tend to beam in the vertical plane. I disagree with his statement the the Summits are designed around solid state equipment. He listened to them only with a BAT VK31SE preamp (for a tube audition.) I'm kind of surprised he didn't use state-of-the-art tubes (ARC Ref 210 amps, for example) to really hear what these sound like. I don't think he totally got a handle on them.

And yet, even if he didnt get a full handle on them - the review was still very favorable. Good ol' Summits. :)

Hard to make a blanket statement around tubes vs. SS if you haven't tried both eh? I wish there was a ML dealer somewhere around here, I'd love to audition the Summits.

I'd also like to scrounge up a nice tube amp to try on my SL3's panels. Oh well...

I had a similar problem back in the 70's when I bought a pair Magnepans. Took the back and got the taller model. You know you sometimes just have to get up and dance. :D

Seriously, many planars used to exhibit this dispersion problem. What about the smaller ML's?

My Vantage do sound better from sitting position (cuz I'm close) but I've auditioned them standing up from about 15 feet away and they were perfect.

I guess it all depends on how close you are to the speakers themselves. Also, though standing up may take away some of the sonic bliss... there is still much that you can "dance" to.

Both my Aeons and my Divas treble drops off when I stand. So did my Acoustat 3's. So did the Maggies I recently heard. This is a planar thang,gang!

tonyc said:
Both my Aeons and my Divas treble drops off when I stand. So did my Acoustat 3's. So did the Maggies I recently heard. This is a planar thang,gang!

I agree.... it doesnt really matter anyway because the soundstage drops down for any other conventional loudspeaker once you stand. Atleast with the Logans, the soundstage remains coherently the same even after standing. :)

I read the Absolute Sound Summit review and thought it was uninspired. The review lacked enthusiasm and was about the most blah writing I've seen in some time. Clearly, it was written by someone who isn't passionate about Martin Logan products.

peterpioli said:
I read the Absolute Sound Summit review and thought it was uninspired. The review lacked enthusiasm and was about the most blah writing I've seen in some time. Clearly, it was written by someone who isn't passionate about Martin Logan products.

I agree. It seems like he wrote the review just to fill some pages as if he were forced to do something he did not want to do. His instructions were to write a couple of pages on the Summits, don't say anything too good or too bad about them. Mission accomplished......I guess.

Joey

It was a good review but it did not do the speakers justice. Maybe I felt this way because I own them, but it was not the kind of write-up that Ken Kessler did for them in England. I've even thought about writing my own review of them and sending it to TAS for comment.

I totally agree with what you have mentioned about the review. It was totally about going through the motions and "uninspired" is an excellent word to use. It was like why bother...

I realize about the standing issue and it being common with electrostats and ML's...I'm not convinced that this was the only issue he was talking about. I will reread it. I'm wondering about this issue because my buddy has VMPS RM40's and I swear his image is 3 feet above the speaker while seated. I don't know if this can be accomplished with ML? That is what I was trying to find out...

The standing issue for me really isn't even an issue. Who in the heck stands while listening to music being played back through their loudspeakers? :D

Last edited:
I do not know about the Summits but I can effect changes in soundstage height on my Aeons by tilting them slightly back. Try it with your speakers and lets all see.

Statman said:
The standing issue for me really isn't even an issue. Who in the heck stands while listening to music being played back through their loudspekers? :D

FYI:
There is an old school test listening method that someone demonstrated to me. It's based on the perception/premise that you should not stare or look at the sound source - kind of like turning off the lights or closing your eyes - but without the displine. It is also good for only conventional drivers not stats or corner positioned horns. It also deals with the myth or theory that we hear sounds better from behind us, something engrained from evolution and predators stalking humans from behind.

Method:
Stand equal distant from the speakers (just in between them like head phones not in the sweet spot), turn your back to them, close your eyes and listen.

Of course this method only works with conventional drivers or 180 and 360 degree radiation pattern speakers (Walsh, OHM).

It's not really about standing. It's about the soundstage. However, I do listening to my speakers while standing in the kitchen doing dishes, or cooking. My speakers open to that spot at the sink which puts me right between my speakers. I'm just so impressed with how high his is and was wondering if ML's can do it.

I am going to try the suggestion about raising the front two levelers...that sounds like a good idea.

Back