Yamaha- DVD-Audio/Video and Super Audio CD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451766&CTID=5001800

Does anyone have experience with this Yamaha player? It is sold at my local shop, and the dealer said it was a very good Universal player. I haven't had a chance to do an audition, but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this brand.

Some of you have also mentioned modding players. If I were to go that route, what sort of mods would need to be done on this player?

Last edited:
Some of you have also mentioned modding players. If I were to go that route, what sort of mods would need to be done on this player?
I am not sure who mods Yamaha players :confused:

The two most modded players are the Denon and Sony players.

In my opinion, the best modders are the ones who put in a completely new analog output section. The others are just part swappers.

Does anyone have experience with this Yamaha player? It is sold at my local shop, and the dealer said it was a very good Universal player. I haven't had a chance to do an audition, but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this brand.

For that price, why not just get Sony Blu-ray or Toshiba HDDVD players??

While I personally have no experience with Yamaha's newest line of DVD/DVD-A/SACD players, I do however own their earlier combi player (DVD-S2300). And all I have are excellent things to say about it. It's a fantastic player that gives great DVD-A/SACD sound, and the player has been the most reliable and glitch free player I have ever owned.

And if it had also had the ability to play Blu-ray and HD DVD it would still be my sole player. But that of course is wishful thinking.:) But there is no doubt that Yamaha makes some very solid and extremely reliable combi players.

If you are considering buying it to spin DVD-A/SACD discs, I think you will be very happy with it. If you are wanting it to play standard DVD's only, then like Thai said, go for a quality Blu-ray or HD DVD player that does an excellent job at upscaling standard DVD's.

Seth

Are you sure about that, Thai? The 2700 still has the Faroudja chip you so despise ;).

There are upscaling SD DVD players. And then there upscaling SD DVD players. The results range from Yawn to I didn't think SD could look so good.

IMO those BD and HD DVD players are not in the latter camp. There is still plenty of live left in high quality SD players. I haven't the slightest if that Yamaha qualifies, however.

If you are considering buying it to spin DVD-A/SACD discs, I think you will be very happy with it. If you are wanting it to play standard DVD's only, then like Thai said, go for a quality Blu-ray or HD DVD player that does an excellent job at upscaling standard DVD's.
Seth

Yes, it will be used for DVD-A/SACD discs. As for Blu-Ray, I'm not about to pay the prices they are currently asking for the discs, even if I was blown away by the BBC Earth video that I saw playing at Best Buy.

Yes, it will be used for DVD-A/SACD discs. As for Blu-Ray, I'm not about to pay the prices they are currently asking for the discs, even if I was blown away by the BBC Earth video that I saw playing at Best Buy.

Yeah, but you're paying for a player that is TWICE that of a BR player. You will need to buy a lot of BR disc before having to worry about cost!:D

There are upscaling SD DVD players. And then there upscaling SD DVD players. The results range from Yawn to I didn't think SD could look so good.

IMO those BD and HD DVD players are not in the latter camp. There is still plenty of live left in high quality SD players. I haven't the slightest if that Yamaha qualifies, however.

The only good upconverting SD DVD players (picture quality) that i have read about are those with the (in)famous Faroudja chip. And as i found out first hand, these Faroudja-based DVD players are not worth a damn with certain DVDs (major lip synch issues). Although i never saw macroblocking in the short time that i had it, it is a well-known problem among most (if not all) Faroudja-based upconverting DVD player, including those from Oppo and Denons.

If you want to test a Faroudja-based DVD player, then go out and buy "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" special edition DVD from Walmart or whereever. Put in your DVD player and see if you see any lip-synch problem.

Last edited:

Yeah I hear you, prices for Blu-ray and HD DVD discs are still fairly high. Over time they will come down to what we're used to paying for standard DVD's, but I'm sure it will be a while.

The Yamaha as a DVD-A/SACD player is a pretty good one, I've been using my Yamaha combi player for some years now and I have been very happy with it. When my S2300 was introduced it was Yamaha's flagship player, and I'm sure that they have only made things better since then. But I guess the only way you will know for sure how it will sound in your setup is to try it out. Will your dealer let you take one home to try it?

Seth

IMHO if you want a quality universal, buy a Denon....you can find a 3910 used on Agon in the $350-450. My 2910 can be had in the $250-300 range. With the HDMI cable for picture quality, it is a helluva deal. The audio quality is darn good as well.

IMHO if you want a quality universal, buy a Denon....you can find a 3910 used on Agon in the $350-450. My 2910 can be had in the $250-300 range. With the HDMI cable for picture quality, it is a helluva deal. The audio quality is darn good as well.

I can't argue with that, Denon makes some excellent players that are built like a tank. I have never owned their combi players, but I did have one of their top DVD only players that used the best (at that time) Silicon Image chipset and I was totally blown away with the PQ. As far as DVD players go Denon probably makes some of the best anywhere. And I have no doubt that their combi players are any different.

Seth

Last edited:
I'm hesistant on Denon as I've had two friends whose CD tray mechanism broke. These guys are not hard on their gear.

My toss up though isn't between Denon and Yamaha.

thx for replies so far...

The new upscaling Denon CIs get very good reviews. My 2910 has certainly been very reliable. Its 1080i upscaled output is not bad but not great either. I do not have the Saving Private Ryan DVD but played plenty of others on it without lip sync issues. No, I am not going out to buy that DVD. I have seen the film on the big screen.

I do have my doubts that a cheap upscaling DVD player such as the 2910 can produce the best results from SD DVDs. OTOH, the current Arcams render pictures with superb color balance and luminance. Pictures have that certain 3D quality which is unexpected and hard to describe unless you have seen it. For the record, my TV accepts and displays 1080p, I also own and play BDs, and Arcam uses the Anchor Bay chip set. But I bet I'd find a new Denon 3930CI's video be pretty sweet, too.
The only good upconverting SD DVD players (picture quality) that i have read about are those with the (in)famous Faroudja chip. And as i found out first hand, these Faroudja-based DVD players are not worth a damn with certain DVDs (major lip synch issues). Although i never saw macroblocking in the short time that i had it, it is a well-known problem among most (if not all) Faroudja-based upconverting DVD player, including those from Oppo and Denons.

If you want to test a Faroudja-based DVD player, then go out and buy "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" special edition DVD from Walmart or whereever. Put in your DVD player and see if you see any lip-synch problem.

Okay, back to Yamaha. No Denon or Arcam in my future.;) :D

Back