Would the appearance of the Summit stop you from buying it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would the appearance of the Summit stop you from buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
While the design of the Summit has grown on me, I don't think I would buy until the round they corners over a little. It's to sharp looking.

I said yes, even though I perfectly know that anyway, I can't afford it... But aesthetics is important in ML loudspeakers - not the only point of course - and in this specific case... I just can't stand it... :(

I voted yes as well. I, like others have made my point.
My belief is that ML are listening and we may yet see a better looking Summit when its finally released

I voted yes as well !!!!!!!!! Like Tom, price would be the first reason, and as Nick and others mentioned some roundness would go a long way.. I have prided myself in trying to have a room that sounds great/ is functional/ comfortable/ and yes stylish.... everything in my room is extremely modern, but rounded to some degree "I think" and the Summits would stick out no matter how good they sounded. Unlike many of the other readers of this forum I don't have a dedicated room to use only for music and movie reproduction.

I think it's nice looking. The wife lets me buy what I want!!! Can't afford the things anyway!

Yes and No

I'm having a hard time judging whether I like or dislike the Summit looks. It's such a big departure from the current ML line up. Personally, I find that photos can be misleading. Until I can get up close and get a feel for their size, shape, how they fit into a room and look behind them, I going to hold my tongue.

On the other hand I love the looks of the Prodigy, Odyssey, Ascent....

I like it, but would also like to see it in other colors. It also seems to be missing a design element that I've come to really like- the blue lightening light on the front.

I will also be very critical of the stat panel, especially if it looks thin and flimsy- charachteristics that I think might be emphasized by an aluminum type finish.

SugarMedia said:
I like it, but would also like to see it in other colors. It also seems to be missing a design element that I've come to really like- the blue lightening light on the front.

I will also be very critical of the stat panel, especially if it looks thin and flimsy- charachteristics that I think might be emphasized by an aluminum type finish.

If you take a look at the spec's for the summit it list's and I quote "Other Controls: Light intensity dimmer control".

I beleave the light is built into the Aluminum trim on top of the base box. Which would explain why they chose to angle the base box like they did. You can see the aluminum trim threw the ESL panel (see photo of the front view). If they turn the base box 180 degrees the aluminum trim would be facing the wall.

Last edited:
The Summit reminds me too much of a larger version of the Senarios and I thought those things looked rather homely. The Clarity was much better but honestly this style doesn't make my heart beat faster.

I guess will all the speculation we will have to wait and see what it sounds like and of course what it really looks like, then judge it on all its merits. :D

Jeff

socialxray said:
The Summit reminds me too much of a larger version of the Senarios and I thought those things looked rather homely. The Clarity was much better but honestly this style doesn't make my heart beat faster.

Socialxray,

We are almost neighbors. I am in Lancaster. :p

Jeff

Howdy Neighbor!

Hey Jeff. Yeah I saw that. I got a few relatives in Green Valley and I go through Lancaster to get there. How's the weather out there? :)

We all must have aesthetics as part of our speaker buying equation. I've heard a speaker that sounded amazing but boy did it ever look ugly. I would be embarrassed to show people the speakers but I guess it is also in the eyes of the person.

Whenever I demo the HT people always ask questions about the ML's.... "The sound comes out of these things ????" I've already converted a few people over to the ML side. :D

socialxray
It is ok. I am getting tired of the desert but I can not afford anything else yet either. If you have have the time and want to hear some CLS's give me a shout.

Jeff

Never heard CLS's (or anyother ML for that matter except my beloved SL3's). I look forward to listening to them.

socialxray said:
Never heard CLS's (or anyother ML for that matter except my beloved SL3's). I look forward to listening to them.

I own a pair of Sequel II's (predecessor to SL3's) and I love my CLSIIz's. My prediction is you will be amazed at how good they sound....not that the SL3 is any slouch...

Dan

Is the Summit anything like the second coming? :confused:

Just feeling silly.......please ignore this post. ;)

Back