worst sounding recording in your system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
you might not still have it. it might now function as a coaster, but what is the worst recording you have.

i'm thinking of the the recording process or the pressing - not the musical qualities of the album, although the other might be interesting too :)

mine has to be the soundtrack for Aliens - i read a review that said the bit of surface noise distracted from the pressing. yikes :eek: i can barely hear the music for the snap crackle pop. makes me think that the aliens came from the planet "kelloggs". just horrid.

Mine would have to be an early CD release of Judy Collins, Colors of the Day. I have the vinyl album, and a later CD, and they sound fine, but this early version sounds terrible, I can't believe the person doing the CD transfer ever listened to it, because it would never have been released that way if they had.

Peter

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire V

They've re-mastered it since, but the version I have is horrible. Very muddy sounding.

TomDac said:
Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire V

They've re-mastered it since, but the version I have is horrible. Very muddy sounding.
I agree Tom, I have the same one, my LP version is quite good though.

twich54 said:
I agree Tom, I have the same one, my LP version is quite good though.
Yeah.. I had the vinyl years ago and it was a very good quality pressing.. I had the cassette tape also and it was a very high quality recording.. I figured the CD would be like all the other American Grammaphone products.... Boy, was I wrong... One of these days I'll guy the remastered version.. :)

I was very disappointed with the Sara Brightman - Time to Say Goodbye CD. I think the music is great, but the recording lacks any sort of life.

I'm sure I have plenty of other bad ones, but that one comes to mind first. I guess my Led Zepplin box set comes in next.

Poor Recordings

Sadly, I would have to say the worst quality recordings were on London's Deram label used by the Moody Blues. As a child of the 60's I spent hours listening to the Moody's albums: On the Threshold of a Dream; To Our Children's Children's Children; Days of Future Passed and others all with horrible quailty recording of some of the best rock music ever made. With the advent of the CD a lot of these have improved but the dynamic range is still limited but there's the challenge;for the gurus at Dolby Labs You all take care out there ... Happy Holidays

dog_lover

I love the songs on this choice but threw it out there due to "horrific" remastering. Between just about every recording track, there is a definite "pop (best description for it)" that you hear. Takes so much away from a good listening experience. :( Can't play at any high volume levels as a result! Hard to believe that such a great recording could be butchered up so badly!

Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival on SACD.

And just in case anyone is wondering, it was done by Analogue Productions in Salina, KS.

holmancv said:
Sadly, I would have to say the worst quality recordings were on London's Deram label used by the Moody Blues. As a child of the 60's I spent hours listening to the Moody's albums: On the Threshold of a Dream; To Our Children's Children's Children; Days of Future Passed and others all with horrible quailty recording of some of the best rock music ever made. With the advent of the CD a lot of these have improved but the dynamic range is still limited but there's the challenge;for the gurus at Dolby Labs You all take care out there ... Happy Holidays

dog_lover

Then you must check out the DTS editions of some of their albums. I have a few, and they are very well remastered.
They still reveal the limits of the original recording console and tape medium, but the surround mix and general improvement over the lousy CD's make them worth hunting for if this is your cup of tea.

BTW- My worst sounding CD nominee is: Shucks, not sure. But they were from 1985, 86 vintage top 40 artists, purchased in those years. It's amazing how far the industry has come in doing Digital right...

JonFo said:
They still reveal the limits of the original recording console and tape medium, but the surround mix and general improvement over the lousy CD's make them worth hunting for if this is your cup of tea.

Do you think it is/was the equipment and medium, or the way they were doing the recordings? Just curious what you think.....

I have purchased some CD/SACD that were recorded in the late 50's that are truely amazing in their sound quality, showing us that when recorded correctly, the medium or equipment may not have been culprit. Maybe it was the people behind the consoles????

Dan

DTB300 said:
Do you think it is/was the equipment and medium, or the way they were doing the recordings? Just curious what you think.....

I have purchased some CD/SACD that were recorded in the late 50's that are truely amazing in their sound quality, showing us that when recorded correctly, the medium or equipment may not have been culprit. Maybe it was the people behind the consoles????

Dan

I have many, many great sounding LP's from that era? I didn't realize they were doing digital back then. :D

Jeff Beck "Jeff" CD circa 2003. This is the worst recording played on any system. The music isn't bad but they just totally screwed this up on the recording. And it's not like Jeff Beck hasn't made an album before.

Excessive distortion that you don't hear at their live performance is the best way to describe it.

The best cd in my system is Dispatch Silent Steeples. It has an amazing soundstage and you can here all instruments with such accuracy. Has anybody else listen to this on there system.

Mike

I hear Maroon5's live EP on some Claritys on Monday and it was just crap. Really a lousy recording. Dave Matthews Band's "Weekend on the Rocks" CD sounded amazing ...

Latest posts

Back