Woofer rumble - Vantage's ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Is it normal for the woofers to be producing a very low level rumble (audible only when one puts their ear very close to grill) even when all power is off, I understand that the speakers remain pluged into wall outlet all the time. Just curious ???

twich54 said:
Is it normal for the woofers to be producing a very low level rumble (audible only when one puts their ear very close to grill) even when all power is off, I understand that the speakers remain pluged into wall outlet all the time. Just curious ???

When I had Vanatages, they did have a bit of 60hz hum if you put your ear up to the woofers. I cannot say if this is normal, but mine did the same as yours. I did not notice the sound from my normal listening position, so I did not consider it an issue. On the other hand the Summits are almost dead quite in comparison.

twich54 said:

Sounds like it could be a ground loop.

Zip3kx07 said:
Sounds like it could be a ground loop.
I thought that Joe, put a cheater plug between..... no difference.

Audible Rumble...

twich54 said:
Dave,

Your Vantages powered subwoofer should not have a audible rumble when the power is off. IMHO, Joe is on the right track, the problem is definitely along the lines of a ground / power cord feed back loop issue associated with your powered - Vantage subwoofers. Your Vantages should be silent when off, no audible rumble. I would try isolating your power cord from your Vantages, from all other speaker or more likely coaxial - video cables.

I believe Roberto had also addressed this kind of problem very well in a previous thread. :)

Jim Powers is always a good person to call if all else fails. ;)

HTH

The ground loop seems logical but when I inserted the "cheater" plug it did not go away. I called ML, they had no clue, said they would discuss it and get back to me. This has obviously been going on since day one(almost three months now) I wonder what harm it's done ??

twich54 said:
The ground loop seems logical but when I inserted the "cheater" plug it did not go away. I called ML, they had no clue, said they would discuss it and get back to me. This has obviously been going on since day one(almost three months now) I wonder what harm it's done ??
Hola twich54. just wondering from where the hum is coming...did you diconnect the speaker's cable also? In other words, just the A.C. cable is connected to the speakers, no cable from the amp., right? and you have hum? Also, is the hum at both speakers and the same level? Is this correct?...this is for trying to track from where is the problem...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Trouble is the ground-loop could be coming from anywhere. You will need to unplug one component at a time and see what could be causing the problem.

I had this issue, and it came to be the TV Cable system hooked up for use with HT Receiver...Put a cable loop "thingy" on it, and it went away.

Dan

I have unplugged all other componets, including speaker cables...... still present. I then plugged speakers into my amp outlet(dedicated 20amp circuit directly to breaker box) still no luck !! Jeff, no aquarium or florescent lights. It has to be internal within the speaker !! ??

Dimmer light switch?

You might see if you have a "dimmer light switch" somewhere in your house. Or a refrigerator possibly... Just a thought. ;)
HTH

Maybe you should try PS Audio's Humbuster. My under standing is if you have too much DC on the line you can get a buzz or hum in your equipment. The HB is supposed to remove any DC on the line, and minimizing or eliminating the hum and protect your system against power spikes.

From there web site.

Hum. Defined in an audio video setup as a constant “buzzing” noise coming from somewhere in the system, or in a video setup as diagonal lines across the set, it can be one of the more irritating aspects of system performance.

People have referred to the sound of it as an “angry insect” noise, a “low rumble”, perhaps simply “an irritating sound” describes it just as well. One thing for sure, it’s annoying.

There are two places where audible hum makes itself apparent: the loudspeakers and inside the equipment.

If you have hum coming through the loudspeakers it can usually be resolved by first locating the source of the hum, either a ground loop or a defective piece of equipment and then fixing it. We have a helpful tool called Humbusters that you can go to fix hum in your loudspeakers and there's even a real engineer that will help you as well, if the tool doesn't get you where you need to go.

Hum coming from the equipment itself is a more difficult problem to solve because it requires sophisticated electrical circuitry. Typically caused by the gear’s internal power transformer, this mechanical vibration can range from soft to quite loud depending on the quality of your home’s AC power. AC power quality can vary from home to home, even from hour to hour making the problem even more difficult to track down. This results in some equipment generating irritating hums and buzzes at different times of the day in some homes while the identical piece doesn’t hum in others.The UPC-HB’s internal Humbuster can be placed between any piece of equipment and the AC wall source to lower and, in many cases, eliminate the irritating mechanical hum or buzz made by power amplifiers, preamps, digital equipment or anything in your system that is merrily buzzing away.

It’s almost like magic
Connect the Humbuster™ and voila! The hum’s pretty much gone. How does it work? It eliminates the DC component on the AC line.

All AC power lines have a small component of DC (battery type voltage) on the line.

Typically this DC is held to a very low level and causes only a few problems. However, many homes are not “typical” and this DC component can be quite high. In fact, it’s high enough to cause an asymmetry that “pushes” the voltage in the transformer in one direction and partially saturates the core of the transformer, causing it to buzz. In addition to buzzing noises, the transformer is also at a performance disadvantage because its core is not working properly.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/upchb.asp

Thanks everybody for your ideas, etc. I have a call into ML, I'll let you know what they have to say !!

Latest posts

Back