With CLX nearly 10 years old, have you had any technical problems with them?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard of anybody replacing them yet, so I guess that's good news. Typically recommend replacing both speakers at same time but obviously this is different with 2 panels per speaker. I think the statement I made about frequencies produced may come into play here though. Thinking high frequency panel will show fault quicker is my thought.
Oh, so the $4000 or so figure we hear is just for a pair of the high frequency panels, and doesn't include the low panel? I figured that was everything.

For CLX's that would be about right.
Even over here the Aus importer charges around 4-5 grand just for the curved panels. Another couple grand for the bass panels, so all up around 6 grand to replace CLX's panels. That's about right considering the actual cost of parts & labour and the price if they were still being sold... which I believe the very last pair was sold at 50grand. I'm not sure if there are any more "new" CLX's remaining in Aus... I highly doubt.

They were priced on par with the Ren15a's, one being 50grand and the other being 49grand... geewiz 1grand difference!

Cheers, RJ

Well, I had NOT had any issues with my CLX ARTs...until 2 days ago.
Had a fellow audiophile over to listen to system and he noticed from the prime listening position that there was little output from the right channel and rather than burn a nice day resumed enjoying a couple of fingers of bourbon and a cigar.
I shut the amps down and pulled the power cords on both speakers to allow discharge.
Vacuumed both speakers today and replaced power cords and turned amps on.
Noticed that neither the backlit large CLX on the base nor the smaller CLX at the base of the tweeter/midrange panels were lit.
Shut down and unplugged ahead of troubleshooting.
Next step will be to switch right and left speaker since somewhat easier than moving PASS 60.8 monos.
Are there fuses internal to the box containing the electronics?
Not really an electronics guy so other suggestions most appreciated.

BTW, who it the M-L go-to guy for tech issues? Contact info would be great.

Last edited:
That's too bad to hear about your CLX's, and it's a first issue I've come across so far...
On the back electronics box, there are two toggle switches that On & Off the CLX back lights... make sure they're switched on.

If vacuuming didn't help and the panels aren't working properly then you would need to contact ML Tech, they're very helpful. I'm not sure where you're located but I would get in direct contact with ML Tech's dept. Over here in Aus down unda, we have our dedicated ML importer who deal with all technical matters, and their service is tops!

Hope it goes well for you and you'll have the CLX's up and running in no time. Those Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblocks are superb!

Cheers mate, and keep us updated.
Best, RJ

I would try swapping your left/right channel rca/xlr upstream. Could be cable or preamp output causing the issue. That’s an easier first step than moving the CLX.

Well, I had NOT had any issues with my CLX ARTs...until 2 days ago.
Had a fellow audiophile over to listen to system and he noticed from the prime listening position that there was little output from the right channel and rather than burn a nice day resumed enjoying a couple of fingers of bourbon and a cigar.
I shut the amps down and pulled the power cords on both speakers to allow discharge.
Vacuumed both speakers today and replaced power cords and turned amps on.
Noticed that neither the backlit large CLX on the base nor the smaller CLX at the base of the tweeter/midrange panels were lit.
Shut down and unplugged ahead of troubleshooting.
Next step will be to switch right and left speaker since somewhat easier than moving PASS 60.8 monos.
Are there fuses internal to the box containing the electronics?
Not really an electronics guy so other suggestions most appreciated.

BTW, who it the M-L go-to guy for tech issues? Contact info would be great.
I have a lot of experience with the CLX. I’ve sold and installed dozens of pairs. If you’d like to give me a call I’d be happy to help you with troubleshooting. But your best resource is going to be Martin Logan. Their service is amazing. [email protected] 414-975-5986

Everyone's assistance is appreciated.

Still working on troubleshooting but it appears that my custom built LDR preamp (similar in concept to Tortuga) may be the culprit. Consulting with designer/builder.

Attn: BigGuy

So, what was the cause of the CLX's not working...? According to your last post, was something to do with the custom built preamp... so, hopefully your CLX's are fine!

Let us know, good to hear and learn about such things as this helps others to find out how to go about similar issues if they were to come across them.

Best, RJ

So, what was the cause of the CLX's not working...? According to your last post, was something to do with the custom built preamp... so, hopefully your CLX's are fine!

Let us know, good to hear and learn about such things as this helps others to find out how to go about similar issues if they were to come across them.

Best, RJ
These forums are priceless in this regard. I'm glad I found this place!

Best, RJ

Thanks for asking...

After checking all system components incl cables, power conditioners, etc., I determined that the preamp WAS the source of the problem. While the custom passive LDR has worked flawlessly for 7 years and, happily continues to do so, the designer determined that while the coding for the various was correct, activating selector switches in a specific order would trigger the pre to output no signal tho' the display did not indicate this. Coding will be modified to preclude this behavior.
Fortunately no issues were found with electronic components of the pre itself.

Can someone point me to the chat where someone put SS plates on the electronics box bases of CLX's (?) ? Tnx

Thanks for asking...

After checking all system components incl cables, power conditioners, etc., I determined that the preamp WAS the source of the problem. While the custom passive LDR has worked flawlessly for 7 years and, happily continues to do so, the designer determined that while the coding for the various was correct, activating selector switches in a specific order would trigger the pre to output no signal tho' the display did not indicate this. Coding will be modified to preclude this behavior.
Fortunately no issues were found with electronic components of the pre itself.
That's great news! Glad you were able to track which component was giving trouble, and attend to it promptly.

In fact I was thinking about this and discussing the very topic with another CLX owner. When you consider the materials, and build quality of the new Masterpiece series, the ML team have really put their thoughts together, arriving at a highly stable design on the stat panel, plus high quality parts. Taking into consideration cost of design & build, they have come up with each product within a certain range, and performance quality. There are some other speaker manufacturers who adopt this "cost no object" philosophy... but they still have issues! The owner's spend over 100grand on speakers and some don't work quite right. Of course after the tech team fly in and sort it out it does but that initial spend of 100grand plus will always be in doubt...

There's always room for improvement, in design, materials and the latest tech but there will always be limits to how the final product will end up.
Looking at the CLX's for example, there are areas where they could improve upon, obviously cost increases...
However, what the ML team have done with the CLX design is remarkable! Once again the high quality parts and especially the X-stat design elements, they've embraced all the things about earlier stat design, it's an absolute work of Art! The great thing is that ML still supports this very design and all of its parts even though the CLX's are no longer in production. If they ever renew the project and come up with a brand new concept/clx model, it will definitely not be any where close to what the price range was, especially taking into consideration the Neolith's. So when looking at it from a model fits which budget point of view; the Masterpiece series is really well thought out but then suddenly there's a massive gap from the Ren15A's to the Neolith's... and there's nothing in-between. This is where most probably a new ESL could be offered.

Since at the moment there's nothing within that gap, I would simply sit back and enjoy those very fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

That was Mike. His screen name is GW1800. They are 3/8" or 1/2" steel plate with an opening for the ML logo to shine through. Nice metal finish and I just needed to paint them. I think I used a Black Hammered finish.
I got a pair from him. Though not the prime reason he made them. For me the weight really stabilized them with spikes through carpet and pad into plywood.

Can someone point me to the chat where someone put SS plates on the electronics box bases of CLX's (?) ? Tnx

Yes, it was GW1800, you can read through his entire post/thread and learn a lot from his usage on Nordost accessories.
System #503 (CLX Art)

I'm using a few items from Nordost as well, have been for a few decades and their stuff is in a class of its own, really works! Best, RJ

While my preamp is away for reprogramming, I set up system to use the internal preamp of my Mytek Manhattan II DAC which I had not done in a long time (pre-CLX?) and started to play some demo tracks. Unfortunately it appears that I am back to square one, i.e., frequency response curves of the two CLXs indicate that there is little to no upper octave output from one of the mid/tweeter panels. Switching speakers appears to confirm this.

Any way for me to assess what might be damaged or have failed under the hood without getting in over my head re electronics?

IIRC, a price for replacement panel(s) was recently reported.

IF it is a panel issue should they be replaced on both speakers fully recognizing the doubled cost?

Sorry to hear that BG. Do you think there is any chance it has anything to do with the signal it was getting. Probably depend on the exact age of the panels whether one replacement would be noticeable.

Mmm... that's too bad. Just when I thought things were sorted out. Well, in that case, if you're going to replace one stat panel, being the mids&highs panel, if that is the case... then I would recommend both. At least that way you'll have both new panels and will have an equal operating time, compared to replacing just one, and not knowing when the other one would pack up. I haven't come across this replacement issue as yet, perhaps CLX's in Aus are still fairly new... but I guess nothing is bulletproof!

Hope it all goes well and you'll be enjoying those fine tunes in no time.
Cheers, RJ

Mmm... that's too bad. Just when I thought things were sorted out. Well, in that case, if you're going to replace one stat panel, being the mids&highs panel, if that is the case... then I would recommend both. At least that way you'll have both new panels and will have an equal operating time, compared to replacing just one, and not knowing when the other one would pack up. I haven't come across this replacement issue as yet, perhaps CLX's in Aus are still fairly new... but I guess nothing is bulletproof!

Hope it all goes well and you'll be enjoying those fine tunes in no time.
Cheers, RJ
And I doubt the price on the panels will drop in the future. Might as well get them now before they go up again.

What is disturbing to me is that the loss of upper octaves was NOT gradual but rather "hear(sic!) yesterday, gone today"!
Is there something that can/should be checked to assure electronics have not been compromised?

Who is the best contact to inquire with about availability and cost of replacement mid/treble panels?
I am located in Central CT 06111

Latest posts

Back