With CLX nearly 10 years old, have you had any technical problems with them?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacefulcargo

Reaction score
Hi Being in the UK I wanted to check with the owners of the CLX, over the years of ownership have any of you had any technical problems with them? Have any of you have had to replace your panels?

Last edited:
here's a 'bump' so as to get some replies to the Op !

I've had mine for about 10 years and know someone who has had them for even longer. Neither of us has had any issues.

I have been listening to the CLX for past 12 years. Never a problem with them. Incredible detail and sound stage.

I've sold them the entire time they were available, and displayed them for most of that time. Other than a few out of the box problems, have only had to replace bass panels once on an existing pair for a customer.

I think the panels are good for up to 20 years if they are in the right environment. Climate controlled, low humidity etc.

Now that's a good question Rob D, makes sense when you think about it. It would seem that the triple stators & double Mylar layout in the bass panels would be sturdier... i.e. having more steel as reinforced structural bracing... but I couldn't tell because the curved panels are so well made. Flawless design in the whole CLX's structure. They've thought of everything possible and it's very tricky to get all the elements right and in sync! From micro-perf stators, clear spars, triple stators, double diaphragms, carbon alloy frames, stainless steel locking collars, high quality parts, toroidal trannys for the mids&highs section, plus EI-Core trannys for the bass panels, plus beautiful real woods (not veneers!) Like I said, a true work of Art!

Anyhow... this is how it all started for me that is: Norman Brown. Going way back in Chicago, Naperville Sound Lab, called me up for their first audition on the SL3 's driven with a full line of Krell gear. I brought along this CD and everyone just sat there fully mesmerised for the whole session, some leaving way late as the store was closing. One couple bought the demo pair, and just plonking them into the boot of their car, drove off whiles it was snowing! Of course the SL3's were covered but a certain portion was actually sticking out... 🤔

I was still a Uni student back then completing my under-grad but I worked very hard (4 jobs) and graduated with a 3.7 GPA, and finally bought that very system! This was in 95/96 and worked my way from CLS-IIz, Ethos, Montis, ESL13A and finally the CLX Art. In between of course there have been many others, from Maggie's to Wilson's and Infinity's... but finally acquiring the CLX's in 2018, and that's it for me!
There's no other speaker I would rather own.

Cheers to ML and the work of Art they create!
WOOF!!! RJ

Attachments

• 20220520_001528.jpg
    20220520_001528.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
So, do you think the bass panels last longer than the curved panel that handles the higher frequencies?
I would guess yes. It is more substantial, but also is producing much less of a frequency range. However, on the other hand watching the CLX panels in action, the bass panel moves with much more apparent force. When there's a lot of bass you can really see them moving with the beat!

I would guess yes. It is more substantial, but also is producing much less of a frequency range. However, on the other hand watching the CLX panels in action, the bass panel moves with much more apparent force. When there's a lot of bass you can really see them moving with the beat!
I was hoping someone might know from experience because it's a question I've been thinking about. It sounds like everyone just replaces them both at the same time.

I was hoping someone might know from experience because it's a question I've been thinking about. It sounds like everyone just replaces them both at the same time.
I haven't heard of anybody replacing them yet, so I guess that's good news. Typically recommend replacing both speakers at same time but obviously this is different with 2 panels per speaker. I think the statement I made about frequencies produced may come into play here though. Thinking high frequency panel will show fault quicker is my thought.

Latest posts

Back