With CLX nearly 10 years old, have you had any technical problems with them?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to not have your system up and running. Like something is missing from everyday life.

My EE is preparing parts to upgrade my power amps and I know I will be without them for probably 3 - 4 weeks. I will probably take my Aragon 2004 out of the HT for listening but it won't be the same.

Sound room still looks like an assembly annex but happy to report that switching power supplies from R to L resulted in no output from L channel...using either of the two mid/tweeter panels. What I have is a power supply failure,

Ron @ Martin Logan has been great at answering questions and providing step-by-step pdf instructions for each element of the troubleshooting.

Replacement power supply will cost about $350 incl S/H and was ordered this AM.
"Sounds like" it will be mono listening for the near term...assuming I can put at least Humpty back together again!
I'm sure the diagnosis is correct, but did you happen to check it with a high voltage probe? Switching around panels and the like, I'd be worried I'd done something stupid like pinch a wire while reassembling the enclosure (which I did once) or just forgotten to reconnect something. But most likely, the replacement power supply will come, and you will have gotten off cheap, considering what those speakers cost, and what the replacement panels cost. I just like to triple check everything. Speaking personally, I have a lot of monaural recordings I could be enjoying in the mean time.

I'm sure the diagnosis is correct, but did you happen to check it with a high voltage probe? Switching around panels and the like, I'd be worried I'd done something stupid like pinch a wire while reassembling the enclosure (which I did once) or just forgotten to reconnect something. But most likely, the replacement power supply will come, and you will have gotten off cheap, considering what those speakers cost, and what the replacement panels cost. I just like to triple check everything. Speaking personally, I have a lot of monaural recordings I could be enjoying in the mean time.

Point taken but, NO, I did not do any measurements tho' I may ask ML where to do so as a sanity check.

The dis/re-assembly PDFs serve as an excellent checklist for all panel and power supply connections which in most cases were plugs and sockets. I actually did all the testing with CLXs disassembled. Panels have a long enough pigtail to allow laying panel down adjacent to speaker cabinet and making connections. Full tear down and reassembly for each test would have been labor and time intensive.

Replacement power supply should arrive Weds.

I feel your pain BigGuy - I had to replace a bass panel (DOA on a factory refurbished pair, replaced under warranty), and then a few months later a power supply, so while you can service these yourself, it helps to have another set of hands, and does require a bit of time and care. Since then they've been trouble-free and singing beautifully.

Sound room still looks like an assembly annex but happy to report that switching power supplies from R to L resulted in no output from L channel...using either of the two mid/tweeter panels. What I have is a power supply failure,

Ron @ Martin Logan has been great at answering questions and providing step-by-step pdf instructions for each element of the troubleshooting.

Replacement power supply will cost about $350 incl S/H and was ordered this AM.
"Sounds like" it will be mono listening for the near term...assuming I can put at least Humpty back together again!
Can you post the pdf for me? Thank you, Duke

Can you post the pdf for me? Thank you, Duke
Instruction pdf were for vacuuming, panel replacement, and power supply replacement...not actual troubleshooting.

It was recommended that I the non-working(?) swap treble/mid panel to the other speaker. IF panels OK (which I believe they are), next step was to exchange power supplies. Switching power supplies led me to believe that one on right was not working so ordered replacement. Unfortunately, unless I missed something, this did not resolve the problem so have more (re)checking to do.

Attachments

• CLX_Curved_Stat_Replacement_rev072108-1.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CLX_Flat_Stat_Replacement_rev112008.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CLX_Power_Supply_Replacement.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Martin Logan Vacuuming Instructions.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Back