wiring connections

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris A

Reaction score
:eek: Hello to all! Maybe you can share some thoughts on my additional tweak to my setup. I recently bought a used subwoofer to complement the Scenarios I have (I love ML but can't afford to buy the top of the line ones). I wasn't that impressed with the bass when I bought it, of course, what can I expect from an 8" driver. So comes in the sub. I do have a separate system for my Hifi and Ht but I want to utilize the sub for dual use. Tell me guys if I'm doing the wiring sequence right before I fried something along the way.
For HT:
From the receiver's LFE to the sub's low level inputs (L&R).
For HiFi:
From preamp + amp + high level inputs + high level outputs + speakers.

I'll be turning on one system at a time. Now, here are some more questions, sorry:

-how do I go about the adjustments on the sub to blend well with the ML?
-what info should I need to base the adjustments?
-should I keep on doing adjustments between HT & Hifi or it is a one time tweaking for each system use?

Thanks for any inputs shared to this inquiry.

I don't understand your "HiFi" connections... there's probably a couple of ways to do it, both from your preamp and from your power amp - depends on what inputs your subwoofer has.

To properly set the level, you'll need a SPL meter. Settings for HT vs. HiFi are up to you. Some people have the level set a bit higher for HT, or if you have an EQ, some extra boost may be dialed in at low fequencies.

" For HiFi:
From preamp + amp + high level inputs + high level outputs + speaker "

The plus(+) between the preamp and amp are interconnects.
The pluses(+) between the amp thru speakers are speaker wires. I'm sorry for the confusion coz I forgot to label the high level input/output as one of the subwoofer connections. I'm stating the wiring sequence that I'm planning to do on the setup that I have. Hopefully, this clears up a bit.

So you are taking your amp to the high level inputs on the sub and then the high level outputs on the sub go to your main speakers? That is one way to do it.

Another would be to use a 2nd set of outputs or a sub output on your preamp if it has either of them. You'd then use your line level inputs on the sub.

Does the sub have a variable crossover frequency, phase adjustment, etc?

Yup, it has those features. Unfortunately, my preamp does not have a "sub-out" or a 2nd output. I spoke with someone and he said that to split the signal at the left output of the preamp and connect it to the left input of the sub at the line level, but I have to confirm this. Anyway here's a pic of the backside of the sub.

Attachments

• MK4.jpg
    MK4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 107
Aris A said:
I spoke with someone and he said that to split the signal at the left output of the preamp and connect it to the left input of the sub at the line level, but I have to confirm this. Anyway here's a pic of the backside of the sub.
Yep, you can do that too...

I'd try it both ways and see what you like best. I'm not sure how I would feel having my main speakers fed from the sub's XO...

Latest posts

Back