Wireless speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to build up a little audio system for my garage, and I'm considering a pair of wireless speakers that I can throw out into the back yard, hooked into the garage system. I've never looked into wireless speakers before, so I wouldn't know where to start. Obviously high-fidelity sound reproduction isn't much of an issue; background music in the yard is all I need. So, for anybody who's got some experience with these, advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks & regards,
Ross

Tube60 said:
One of these days I'm going to build up a little audio system for my garage, and I'm considering a pair of wireless speakers that I can throw out into the back yard, hooked into the garage system. I've never looked into wireless speakers before, so I wouldn't know where to start. Obviously high-fidelity sound reproduction isn't much of an issue; background music in the yard is all I need. So, for anybody who's got some experience with these, advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks & regards,
Ross

Hi,
A question...do these need to be self powered, or will you have access to AC power in that location?

Peter

Tube60 said:
I'm considering a pair of wireless speakers that I can throw out into the back yard, hooked into the garage system. ...Obviously high-fidelity sound reproduction isn't much of an issue; background music in the yard is all I need. So, for anybody who's got some experience with these, advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ross

Hi Ross. Life is not made 100% of MartinLogans. But at least in my case, it's made of 100% music listening :) Therefore I have an outside system, too. Something that always stays outside, be it rain or snow... you can get a cheap 5+1 setup like mine off eBay, including speakers, DVD player which also plays mp3 disks and a tuner-amplifier. Add an iPod on the aux in, too and you will have an independent setup like mine (see pix). And no, these are not wireless speakers, but if you do things well, they seem like being such :)

Attachments

• sitting.jpg
    sitting.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 110
Kruppy said:
Forget the speakers....I want that view.

usually the wife walks by and comments,"are you on that website again??!!!"
Today it was "Whats that." First time she's ever shown an interest in this site.
Beautiful view!!!

Lugano,
that is an incredible setting and view.
I have travelled your parts of the world a few times, as I have lived in Switzerland for 6 years in the vicinity of Zurich. I will never forget how beautiful and scenic Switzerland is.

as350_b3 said:
Lugano,
that is an incredible setting and view.

Thank you !!

Actually it was a november day - not very storytelling... this is how it looks in summer - and it quite illustrates why I don't listen much to the Martin Logans in summertime :)

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 75
Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
A question...do these need to be self powered, or will you have access to AC power in that location?
Peter
Self-powered would be best, but I could run an extension cord out there.

Forget about "wireless" speakers.

I have a pair of Recoton wireless speakers, they suck big time.

1. There are wires, power cord to one speaker, another wire to power the slave speaker.

2. Radio interference from anything and everything. I can hear noise from taxi cabs and aircraft.

3. Frequency drifting, constantly tuning and retuning, don't mount these where you can't get to them.

4. Unstable signal, I play one speaker in mono because to play both speakers is twice the problems listed above.

5. You have to switch the power button on and off with a power switch. You can't leave them plugged in without a signal, they will just generate all kinds of weird noises. On the bright side they may warn you of an alien invasion.

I wish I took these back to the store when I first bought them ten years ago, I thought I could get them to work.

kach22i said:
Forget about "wireless" speakers.
I have a pair of Recoton wireless speakers, they suck big time.
1. There are wires, power cord to one speaker, another wire to power the slave speaker.
2. Radio interference from anything and everything. I can hear noise from taxi cabs and aircraft.
3. Frequency drifting, constantly tuning and retuning, don't mount these where you can't get to them.
4. Unstable signal, I play one speaker in mono because to play both speakers is twice the problems listed above.
5. You have to switch the power button on and off with a power switch. You can't leave them plugged in without a signal, they will just generate all kinds of weird noises. On the bright side they may warn you of an alien invasion.
I wish I took these back to the store when I first bought them ten years ago, I thought I could get them to work.
I was concerned about the points you've raised. Well, I might have to do a mini system for the back yard too! That'll mean more recycled transformers out of my "goody box" that weighs a quarter ton!
As for the alien invasion thing...... that may happen.... it depends on what my superiors decide with the final report I'm about to submit... :eek: :rolleyes:

Back