Wife suggests the "Big D"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more pic of the ceiling.

After the drywall on the ceiling was finished I was surprised by the amount of echo there was reflecting off the area parallel with the floor as opposed to the angles. A clap of hands any where in the room would send the sound up to that area and back to the floor.
I had anticipated acoustical panels on that area but also on the angles on the sides thinking there would be reflection bouncing toward the center line of the room where my chair would be placed. That turned out to not be the case once the ceiling panels as the picture shows were in place all of the echo was gone.

Besides the soffits that are bass traps that now have acoustical fabric covering the openings I recovered my corner traps from the previous room. They are acoustical cotton cut into triangles and stacked in a frame.

All of the walls have 82" tall panels with 2" of OC 705 in wooden frames and clips that make them easily removable. Behind the panels there is no drywall just 6" of fiberglass in the walls that works with the panels.

As for the sound the first thing I noticed was the silence surrounding the music whether it was an instrument or voice. I have heard things in the background of music that had just never been there before.

I have pulled out music that I thought was recorded poorly and found in most cases that the problem was the previous room still having to many reflection and I am guessing a long decay time for sounds though it did suprise me a bit as I had 14 acoustic panels in my previous room but it also functioned as a TV/living room also. I really thought I had the reflections more controlled than I actually did.

There is so much more definetion and separation between instruments and voices that the sound stage in most cases is wall to wall or beyond with the depth well beyond the space that exists.

Pianos sound as though you are listening to an open grand piano only feet away. Violin and most every other instruments for that matter on well recorded are mesmerizing. I find my self often focusing on one instrument and forgeting the piece of music that is playing.

I am still trying slight adjustments in the CLS's and haven't found final sub placement but the sound stage is solidly positioned at 3 1/2 ' - 4' off the floor. Walking around behind the speakers I was suprised by the how much less volumn there was due to the full wall of panels.

Curious if the room might be to dead I tried taking down some of the panels in different places and just having the pink fiberglass with craft paper on it. It didn't improve anything with the change in reflections or alter the width of the sound stage so for now I am leaving it as is. I hope in the next month or so to be able to test the acoustics just to see what the plots look like.

Going to stop now since I don't truly know how to discribe how good it sounds. If I think of something new and important I will add it.

Thanks for all the kind words and support.

I am very lucky to have a wife that has put up with my want for this hobby for 38 years.

Attachments

• finished music room.jpg
    finished music room.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Back