Wider Dispersion/Sweet Spot: Convex or Concave Curve?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoteportal

Reaction score
I'm looking for the widest possible sweet spot for my center so that as many people as possible on our couch can enjoy the ML sound.

I'm guessing that the convex (outside of banana) would be better because sound emanates outward in more directions where the concave focuses on a narrow listening point? Comments?

Therefore the Matinee, Motif, and Logos would have a wider spot than, say, the Stage?

Here is an idea. go to your local Ml dealer and ask to borrow a Motif for a week to help you decide what works well for you. Most ML dealers will let you take home a floor sample provided you leave a deposit(pay in full). I can personally reassure you that the Motif works well with the vistas and give you a wide area for center channel sweet spot. You will not be dissapointed with a Motif paired with your Vista's, it is a great combo and will work fine unless you upgrade to Summits or Spires then you will need the larger ESl panel of the Stage to match with the Summits. Motif has an advantage over the Matinee in serval respects. Your vista's are dark cherry like mine and you can get the Motif in dark cherry and it comes with a stand that is fully adjustable. Where as the matinee is only avaialable in black and no stand and is geared to blend with the Sources and purity's so to speak. I would lend you my Motif but you wouldnt want to return it once you have in in your hands. LOL

I'm guessing that the convex (outside of banana) would be better because sound emanates outward in more directions where the concave focuses on a narrow listening point? Comments?

That's one of the reasons I chose the Theater i over the Cinema i when shopping for my center. My thought process was the same as yours. Don't know if it's true or not.

There is no difference. They all have a 30 degree horizontal dispersion. The concave panel focuses on a narrow point a few feet in front of the speaker and then inverts and spreads out at the same rate as the convex panel. There is no difference between them as far as horizontal dispersion goes at normal listening distances.

I wonder why they don't make concave ML ESLs...

My Summits would look weird if they were concave...

There is no difference. They all have a 30 degree horizontal dispersion. The concave panel focuses on a narrow point a few feet in front of the speaker and then inverts and spreads out at the same rate as the convex panel. There is no difference between them as far as horizontal dispersion goes at normal listening distances.

Exactly how many feet from the front of the speaker does the concave panel focus?

I don't know how far in front the sound focuses from the Stage, but I can illustrate how well it seems to disperse the sound.

We sit about 9-10 ft away from our Stage and the sound is at least three seats wide. I have sat in all three of our seats which are recliners so they are wider than a three person couch, and the sound from the Stage is pretty much the same in all three positions.

Chuck

Back