Why do actors suck at guitar?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmike

Reaction score
Except for Charo and Steve Martin of course. Some decent piano players though, Jeff and Bo Bridges, Jack Lemon, Dudly Moore, Clint Eastwood. Can you think of anyone else?

Actor's as musicains - playing musical instraments...

mrmike,

Well, I have noticed that unless the actor has become proficiant on their own or taken a given musical instrament in college they are usually just faking it and a professional is actually playing the Piano, Guitar or Sax whatever. ;)

Having said all that, I know, David Hyde Perice (from "Frazier") is an accomplish concert piano player, he majored in piano at college. :D

River Pheonix, played guitar and actually played in one of his last films, "The Thing Called Love". :D

Keanu Reeves playes bass guitar and has a Rock'n Roll band. :D

Conan O'Brien....................I swear his guitar bits have gotten better and funnier over the years. :D

SugarMedia said:
Because they are actors, not musicians.
Of course. :) It just seems odd that there are alot more decent piano players but everybody and their brother plays guitar.

Other Actor's that actually played an musical instrament...

mrmike,

I heard that Jack Benny really was quite good at the violin.

John C. Reilly actually plays a good guitar too, most recently in the film "Prairy Home Companion".

Johnny Carson was a repected dummer and played all the time.

Oh... Clint Eastwood plays an excellent jazz piano, please see my review under Recommended Jazz; "Eastwood at Carnegy Hall".

The Smother's Brothers - Tom played guitar and Dick played stand-up bass

In "Walk The Line" - Joaquin Phoenix actually sang and played guitar for each song, he's a competent guitarist. Reese Witherspoon also sang and played the Autoharp...

More, more Actor's musicians...

mrmike,

I almost forgot, Jamie Fox is an accomplished piano player and singer. :D

Woody Allen of course plays a wonderful clarinet. Especially on Oscar night. :D

Russel Crowe plays guitar / lead singer of his old band, "30 Odd Foot Of Grunts" and his current band "Ordinary Fear Of God". ;)

Johnny Depp plays electric slide guitar, lead guitar and rhythm guitar was in a band as well at one time. :)

How could I forget Jamie Fox. He was fantastic as Ray Charles.A lot of the playing was his as well as Rays.

Have you seen Dwight Yokum in Tommy Lee Jones latest movie? Another fine performance. I think he is ready for a leading role as long as it's a slimeball.

"The Three Barials of Melquerez Estrada"

mrmike said:
How could I forget Jamie Fox. He was fantastic as Ray Charles.A lot of the playing was his as well as Rays.

Have you seen Dwight Yokum in Tommy Lee Jones latest movie? Another fine performance. I think he is ready for a leading role as long as it's a slimeball.
mrmike,

Yes, "The Three Burials of Melquerez Estrada" was excellent. Dwight Yokum and Tommy Lee Jones were both wonderful as usual... I totally agree, Great performances... :D

I think Dwight is definately ready for leading roles slime or regular. Dwight Yokum is just an excellent actor. I loved him in, "The Panic Room" (See my review here @ "Recommended DVD's")... :D :p :D

Then of course we have Sean Penn who played a Django wannabee in "Sweet and Lowdown." His "playing" was an embarrassment even though I really liked the movie. (BTW, I think John Pizzarelli actually did the playing on the soundtrack.)

Back