Who's interested in home audio?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score

Attachments

• group3_wp.jpg
    group3_wp.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I am blessed with a spouse that thinks large inefficient amplifiers and big speakers are a normal part of existence. We have always set up rooms positioning speakers first and then sorting out the rest of the furnishings. She has an I.Q. (for what it is worth) that ensures she is always delighted to get the latest Mensa puzzle book. She holds a couple of degrees and postgrad. qualifications. She has been a fulltime Mum for quite a few years now.

She recently rebuilt our coffee machine after it was stuffed up by the local service people. She has had her car extensively modified. She plays piano and considered a performance degree.

She will not go into an audio shop as she is unable to stand the bullshit. This is a very common experience. My sister in law (corporate lawyer)runs a CEC transport into Meridian DSP 5500. The stories she can relate regarding her treatment in hifi shops would make your hair stand on end. Another female friend (ENT surgeon) was totally stuffed around by one of the local audio shops after she walked off the street and purchased 20,000 of gear.

All these women are intelligent, highly qualified, forthright - none are the shy retiring types. They have all had to endure being patronised by idiots in audio shops.

I really don't think you have to entertain hi falutin ideas regarding differences in psyche, fundamental biological brain differences etc.... cut to the chase. Not many people like being treated as second rate citizens.

Kevin

kwr said:
She will not go into an audio shop as she is unable to stand the bullshit. This is a very common experience. My sister in law (corporate lawyer)runs a CEC transport into Meridian DSP 5500. The stories she can relate regarding her treatment in hifi shops would make your hair stand on end. Another female friend (ENT surgeon) was totally stuffed around by one of the local audio shops after she walked off the street and purchased 20,000 of gear.

All these women are intelligent, highly qualified, forthright - none are the shy retiring types. They have all had to endure being patronised by idiots in audio shops.

Kevin

I'd be willing to bet they could all also give similar horror stories of shopping for automobiles...:)

Peter

Too True...

Peter Hogan said:
I'd be willing to bet they could all also give similar horror stories of shopping for automobiles...:)

Peter
Peter and Kevin,

When my sister and I go shopping / auditioning audio or even shopping for cars, we really have to assert our selves to keep from being walked over by rude know-it-all sales staff, just trying to impress us or showing off... :(

Robin: Good evening. What a great thread! I can't believe there isn't more traffic to this question. I am now going to admit to being a "dinosaur", but I don't get this quote from this guy:
"In relationships, men are guests within a woman's world. Which is the exact opposite of what's happening in the listening room!" And what does the "integrate" mean? After reading the article I find Kaye's idea to be a half-truth in the real world today. Let me give an opinion why:
While out shopping, I think we have all met that condescending person in one form or another, whether as a computer geek, in sales, etc. When you walk into a particular store, (most of the time) you seem to know if the salesperson knows what they are talking about or are off on their own ego trip. But the idea that music is a man's world confuses me. I think woman have a superior ability to both hear and to express, (both written and spoken) experiences. Since the way people listen may be varied, (I would love to give these reviewers a hearing test first, then see what they think they hear), isn't it the enjoyment of the music the bottom line? That may be why people form different opinions about the look and sound of different speakers. And, that overall experience. Rude and poor sales representatives are just shooting the "high end" in the foot. However; isn't there room for everyone? If you want some home theater equipment parts to match a room, a color, a style, a size, or whatever; what's the problem. If you want to make a statement or set a mood, it's your money. Who are you buying this stuff to please? Maybe it's really the women letting you think their the guests, while all along they just knew better. Or are Fred Flintstone and I just becoming extinct?

Latest posts

Back