Who Routinely Dusts Your ML Speakers and Cleans Your HT / Listening Room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
This question came-up on another thread, so I was just wondering who routinely dusts your Martin Logan speakers and or your associated audio electronic gear? Or cleans your HT room for that matter? Now, I'm not talking about vacuuming the panels but just routine dusting of your ML's and or electronic gear.
Personally, I never let anyone clean anything in my small deticated HT room. Every other week, I clean all the carpet and sofa vacuuming. I routinely dust, wipe down my ML's. I dust my equipment shelves and DVD shelves. No one cleans the HT room, but me... :D

What would you do if you had a maid?

Come to think of it, if I could have a maid, I don't think I'd let him clean the HT room, I would still continue to do it myself. ;)

I am a clean freak so mine is cleaned on almost a daliy basis. But for sure every weekend. I do not have a maid (house cleaner) because of my stereo stuff. I don't need to have strangers knowing what I own.

We do have a cleaning person, but I've instructed them to stay FAR, FAR, AWAY from my Summits and other gear. I've had nightmares about them spraying Windex on them! I personally dust my components weekly, and vacuum the panels monthly.

we are fortunate here - no dust and low humidity. However, in this period of the year, our persian cat is a big issue - you can comb him for half an hour and harvest enough to fill a pillow, and he just looks the same as before. Back to the initial question - the maid is ME. A remote control is the hardest stick my family can shake at the gear temple.

Yep, me too. I'm the only one allowed to clean the listening room and especially the equipment. My wife wishes I had the same concerns for the toilets in the house. :eek:

I dust/clean the compnents about once a week, and the Sequels get surface dusted at the same time, but I vacuum the panels avout once a month, or if I'm having people over to listen I'll vacuum them that morning...

And although I would trust my sweety with my life, and my stepdaughters with my car, I do not ask (or allow!) them to clean my audio equipment. I love them, but they can't afford to replace it... ;)

--Richard

I have a house keeper, but she does not mess w/ the speakers or any of the rest of the gear. I wipe them down whenever they are dirty and probably vacuum them 2X per YEAR... We get dusty here but are usually pretty dry. I noticed a bad noise from one of my Ascent the other day so I let them discharge for 18+ hours and cleaned it and of course that fixed the problem. I didn't vacuum the Prodigy that day but a week later I noticed they were sizzling a bit to much so I probably should have cleaned them at the time too!

I've tried to keep the houskeeper away from my gear to no avail. On the day's she's here I put the "socks" that came on The Summits in place...and pray!

Either myself or my wife. She is much less clumsy than I am and probably more respectful of the gear-she even cleans my cartridge! It was afterall I who trashed an almost new Monster Alpha Genesis 2000 many years ago. She has never let me forget it.

My wife does it, room is vac'd and equipment is dusted twice a week. But I'm the one vacuuming the panels (she wouldn't dare), about twice a year.

My dear Robin, long time ago I learned a hard lesson...don´t let anybody but yourself to clean your system. I had a very nice cartridge in a Syrex tonearm on my Oracle Delphy MKII turtable...our maid came, and she said to me...don Roberto, you should see how hard was to clean your recordplayer... lost my $ 850.00 Black Koetsu cartridge there...no cantilever was found...and I was my fault. Since then, nobody, I mean, nobody touches my system for cleaning purpose...only me! and, even if there is one inch of dust everywhere in my room. No way Jose!...not again. I do the cleaning when it is needed and when I feel like it...it is my responsibility to do it right. Happy listening,
Roberto.:musicnote:

Cleaning people do the HT/Music room but have instructions not to go near the equipment.

That works 80% of the time.

Covers for the speakers would be a good idea. I come slightly unglued when that 20% comes around some unauthorized person has infiltrated the equipment zone.

But then, I would probably fire them every other week just on general principles.

Why are they still there? I would have to do the cleaning or find another cleaning company that would meet with the bosses approval.

In general my wife does most of the cleaning but I do most of the cooking. She grew up with 9 brothers and sisters and was on the cleaning contingent in the house.

Here mother always said "I sure hope you marry someone that can cook". We are a great match and after 34 years together the system works fine.
I definitely have the better part.

The HT is my domain, top to bottom, so if the rug needs vacuuming or the furniture dusted, that's my deal.
My lovely wife of 25 years is a great help on project work, but she's not into maintenance, much less of my toy box.

So I vacuum every other week, and do the speakers once a month, more often in the spring and summer.

I also have an Austin Aire HEPA air filter in the equipment room that keeps the boxes and the air relatively dust free down there, so less worries about the ML's.

I clean my audio system. The maid is no longer allowed to touch it after she ruined a cartridge. I've had the Aerius since the early '90's and haven't ever vacuumed the panels, so I think that is something that I need to do. - Steve

I've had the Aerius since the early '90's and haven't ever vacuumed the panels, so I think that is something that I need to do. - Steve

I can't believe it does not just hiss at you as soon as the panels come on! As you get close to mine after about 4 months post vacuuming you can hear them hissing... You can't hear it from normal seating location or when music is actually playing (it is not a volume dependent issue) but after the music stops and you get up to them... you hear them...

Like most so far... the HT is my domain... so all maintenance falls on me... which is fine... I'm the one who enjoys it the most and I can be as particular as I like.

My wife and I share the duties, with Swiffer Duster being the preferred method!

Back