Which should I upgrade first?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCWolfPck

Reaction score
For my next upgrades, I have decided on a PS Audio Power Director 4.7 and new power cords all around.

I currently have all stock power cords and only an old Monster HTS 2500 for a power conditioner.

I don't have the money to buy everything all at once. Should I get the PD 4.7 first, or the power cords? Which will provide the greatest difference by itself? If it is the power cords, what order should I replace the stock cords....Mortin Logans then amp, pre-amp, etc... or vce versa??

I really have no clue!!

Thanks!

Scott

Last edited:
I would go for the Ps Audio power director first, it will give you up to 40dB of clean power that could get contaminated again from unshielded power cords. Going with aftermarket power cords to get your clean power to your system and keep it clean makes logical sense to me.

I am using a Monstercable HTPS-7000 with PS Audio Statement power cables. I saw large performance increases when I added the 7000 and my system keep getting better with every statement power cord added.

Paul McGowan (Owner/ Engineer of Ps Audio) recommends upgrading your power cables starting from the wall and working your way forward.

Good Luck

PD 4.7 on ebay

PS Audio has (had) 6 PD 4.7's on ebay (directly from PS Audio). 2 have since sold. Buy it now $995, don't know what the reserve is. 2 were demos 4 were stock. I think all of the auctions are up within the next 24 hours.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle="ps+audio

Personally, this is how I bought my PD 3.5 and PCA-2 at a huge savings, which I used to by power cords among other things. My PD 3.5 was supposedly B-Stock, but I could not find a single thing wrong with it. I can only assume it was dealer overstock and returned.

My PD 3.5 made a big difference "in my system" while the power cord upgrades didn't seem to do much.

Last edited:
Kruppy said:
PS Audio has (had) 6 PD 4.7's on ebay (directly from PS Audio). 2 have since sold. Buy it now $995, don't know what the reserve is. 2 were demos 4 were stock. I think all of the auctions are up within the next 24 hours.

Personally, this is how I bought my PD 3.5 and PCA-2 at a huge savings, which I used to by power cords among other things. My PD 3.5 was supposedly B-Stock, but I could not find a single thing wrong with it. I can only assume it was dealer overstock and returned.

My PD 3.5 made a big difference "in my system" while the power cord upgrades didn't seem to do much.

Kruppy,

Yes, this is exactly what got me thinking about getting it. It was out of my price range before, but at half off with full warranty....I'm all over it! :D

I'm going to get the 4.7 first and go from there.

Thanks all!!

does it make that much difference ? were did you notice the improvements ? in imaging or depth or just smoother sound

C.A.P.,
When I added the PD 3.5, which is escentially a couple of ultimate outlets with power ports (in addition to surge protection) in a large box, I immediately noticed a difference in quieter sections of music. I was able to pick up a lot more low level fine detail that I did seem to hear before. PS Audio's website claims 40dB of noise rejection.

I've been running a mid-fi system for quite some time, which I've been in the process of upgrading, slowly, too slowly (I need a rich relative to keel over :D ). But this was my first major upgrade (not including my SL3s) that I felt made big postive listening impact.

Kruppy said:

And I got number 5 of the 6 available! The reserve was $850.00 on them by the way. Thank guys for pointing this one out. I was leaving to go out on a date and put the bid in before I walked out the door. I guess I should have told her that she could only have the salad... :D

MarkNewbie said:
And I got number 5 of the 6 available! The reserve was $850.00 on them by the way. Thank guys for pointing this one out. I was leaving to go out on a date and put the bid in before I walked out the door. I guess I should have told her that she could only have the salad... :D

Mark,
I noticed that your last ebay purchase prior to this was some Scooby Doo boxers. I hope you didn't wear those on your date lastnight? :D

Kruppy said:
Mark,
I noticed that your last ebay purchase prior to this was some Scooby Doo boxers. I hope you didn't wear those on your date lastnight? :D

Actually, I wore my Spiderman boxers. If you wear Scooby Doo boxers early in the relationship, I have found the ladies tend not to take you seriously. I have found that the Spiderman ones exude a more manly aura which really comes in handy (wink) ;) Puts em in the frame of mind where they are looking at me and thinking "Oh my hero!"

:cool:

BTW, I saw 2 Power Director 4.7's on audiogon this morning, one used at $1300 and one "new" at $1400 used. You guys got good a deal.

Back