Which brand of speaker wire do you use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DavidG said:
No, I can't explain why - I can only tell you what I heard.

Exactly....

I am an analytical person by nature, but sometimes there are things that cannot be explained no matter how much info is shown or determined. This is where cables come in to play IMHO - listen and decide.
Dan

Ok Guys, I am an impartial party here so send me your cables and I promise I will do a thorough listening test and review. Unfortunately I can't measure impedence, capacitance, or time-space curvicure but I do have a dog that can hear ultra high frequencies. ;)

The only point I was trying to make is that Nordost do quote specs and I believe them, also because a German magazine has been able to confirm these specs (especially extremely low capacitance). This will not make this the best cable around, I was just saying that Nordost can prove scientifically that their cables act as very mild filters compared to 90% of other cables, expensive or cheap.

Only believe your ears, not specs.

I use Monster M1 Sonic Reference Cable... It's what the dealer recommended when I purchased my first pair of Logans in 1987. They are excellent cables and occasionally can be found on the used market pretty cheap.

I've found that most high end cable will do nicely with Logans. The differences are very very subtle between different brands.

Tom.

Attachments

• monster m1.jpg
    monster m1.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
TomDac said:
Monster...... Cable...
I must be a snob, never looked at Monster seriously because it's avaliable at the big box national chain stores.

My loss I guess.
:cool:

Yeah.. the Monster M1 that I have was purchased when Monster was relatively new to the scene and before they "sold out" so to speak. These are roughly the diameter of a small garden hose. Nicely built, well shielded and sound nice to my ears.

:)

kach22i said:
I must be a snob, never looked at Monster seriously because it's avaliable at the big box national chain stores.

My loss I guess.
:cool:

On the primary system (Classé Audio Twenty-five -> ML Odyssey), I am using an oldie set of TARA Labs Temporal Continuum.

On the secondary system (YBA Intégré DT -> ML CLS IIa), speaker cables are YBA Diamond. Normal since the Intégré is hooked to a YBA Line Filter via a YBA Diamond power cord. ;)

Purist Audio Design Museaus Revision C (with Ferox) bi-wire 3M for Ascent i with Aragon 8008 BB, Aragon Stage One- incredible performance, great value, highly recommended.

I use homebrewed bi wired Canare 4s11 star quad wire. They sound great, have a classy look, and, best of all, the price is right.

Attachments

• Canare4s11StarQuad.jpg
    Canare4s11StarQuad.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,511
12 gauge radio shack

I have bi-wired my speakers with these standard speaker cables from radio shack, and have been very happy with their performance. Of course, I haven't compared them to the upper level goods. I note that one of the mags, probably absolute sound, gave the 16 gauge a good review, when comparing them to designer goods. This was an easy decision for me, as i just put together my system, and ran out of money at the end!
aeon i
musical fidelity a3.2cr amp and pre-amp
nad 542 cd player

beebopjazz said:
I have bi-wired my speakers with these standard speaker cables from radio shack, and have been very happy with their performance.
I have a 2 meter interconnect from the Rat Shack running from the turntable to the phono preamp - it's not bad at all, even with that tiny phono signal.

I 've compared the same run to AudioQuest.............the A.Q.'s are better overall but only slightly. The rat's have more bass and are more robust overall, with some roll off of the top end. The A.Q.'s come off more refined maybe even polite at first impression.

I expect a 2M Cardas phono Neutral Reference on Monday (RCA to RCA)..................can't wait to compare. :)

Bill Donnell said:
I use homebrewed bi wired Canare 4s11 star quad wire. They sound great, have a classy look, and, best of all, the price is right.
Hey Bill, did you terminate them by yourself? Where did you get them from? They look different from those available thru bluejeanscable.com. Did you compare them with other cables?

kach22i said:
beebopjazz said:
I have bi-wired my speakers with these standard speaker cables from radio shack, and have been very happy with their performance.

I have a 2 meter interconnect from the Rat Shack running from the turntable to the phono preamp - it's not bad at all, even with that tiny phono signal.

I 've compared the same run to AudioQuest.............the A.Q.'s are better overall but only slightly. The rat's have more bass and are more robust overall, with some roll off of the top end. The A.Q.'s come off more refined maybe even polite at first impression.

I expect a 2M Cardas phono Neutral Reference on Monday (RCA to RCA)..................can't wait to compare. :)

I had a similar experience. My Claritys were wired with a generic HP cable at the origin (the kind of cable that was given with the speakers a few years ago) and I switched to a German brand called Viablue recently. It looks like this

lautsprecherkabel_singlewire_05.jpg

To be honest, I don't have the feeling that there was much gain by usiing these cables. Which was disappointing as I was expecting a lot from it -when I switched from Radio Shack interconnect cables to this brand, there had been a dramatic change.

Erictrostatic said:
Hey Bill, did you terminate them by yourself? Where did you get them from? They look different from those available thru bluejeanscable.com. Did you compare them with other cables?

Hello Eric, Yes I made these myself. The Canare is .69 from Markertek, the teckflex wrap and heat shrink tubing is from Partsexpress, and the bananas are Nakamichi from Lenexpo on ebay at about a buck apiece. I believe they may be a bit better sounding to my ears than the non biwire Mit terminator 4's they replaced. The rear 4 speakers had wire lengths of 24 ft and 30 ft so I'm sure the biwire formation with a total ga of 11 is beneficial for long runs. A cost of about a buck a foot is very nice also. :)

Bill

Last edited:
Right on time, the Cardas 2m phono interconnect RCA/RCA came in today. Time to go home and hook them up, I'm so excited. :)

Attachments

• Cardas-Phono-2m.jpg
    Cardas-Phono-2m.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 932
Cardas Neutral Reference

I got home and 2-1/2 hours later the music was playing.

I'd say this single interconnect from turntable to phono preamp is as big a difference as going from Rotel S.S. amp to Golden Tube Audio amp, or from a Carver CT-17 S.S. preamp to an Italian made GRAAF WFB One tube preamp, and this is straight out of the package!

I struggled installing the female Cardas RCA jacks to the back of the turntable. I had figured that I was just replacing the old cheap stuff that I put there years ago - but no there was a problem. The jacks that were sent to me had no place to solder the negative. After trying for an hour and failing to get it to stick to the surface, I figured out that I'm supposed to clamp down the wire (between chassie and plastic washer) when tightening.

I'll post pictures in my system area soon. The most cost effective upgrade for a mid-level deck is to upgrade the chessy stock (hard wired) interconnects coming out of the back. I cut mine off years ago and screwed on a pair of female RCA's grabed a better pair of interconnects and I was hooked. You should know there is a difference between a "phono interconnect" and a regulare interconnect. for the cardas line the phono wire is coxial - not their typical stuff at all.

Tonights play list: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab-Original Master Recording). New World Order-Substance 1987.

Tomorrow: Julie London followed up with some good jazz on 180 gram vinyl, if I feel rowdy Led Zeppelin on Japanese vinyl.

Everything Makes a difference with Martin Logans..

I tried Monster cable M 1.2 and 1.4.. and the 2.4 also.. I tried Canare Star quad, Fulton and Straight Wire Rhapsody..

each one had it's pro and con. The Canare was Very unusual with it's Imagind and had NO Balls.. ( No Bass )

The Monster was pretty good all around, but the Straightwire Spanked it..
I love the crystal clear Solid Image I got from the Straight wire.. although I am still using the Fulton cable because of the spades of Banana.. My Kids like to pull on the speakers sometimes.. and I have not changed the Straightwire over to spades yet.

In all my cables, the LARGEST imporvement I noticed.. was the POWER cords on the AMP and Pre-AMP (Mind you I had to change both to notice) and the AWESOMELY Expensive Coax Digital Cable on my CD player..

Try as many as you can before you settle... Martin Logan likes the MIT cables.. or say they say anyways..

On a side note: If you can't hear the difference between Lamp Cords, 12Guage Loewe's cables.. and a Good set of cables.. You need to work on your system. I doubt you would notice with a Sony Amp.. :) :)

-Sam

I'm using Blue Jeans Cable (with locking bananas), which is the Belden 5000 series (10 gauge). Sounds great, but boring to look at, so I bought some expanding Gold Mylar Techflex recently, which I plan to jazz it up with. Also using Blue Jeans interconnects as well.

me too!

ltholley said:
I personally use Transparent and have always enjoyed the result.
I too use Transparent hooked up to my ascents. I have not the expensive luxary of comparing other cables - but then again do not see the need to - Transparent is fine in my system.

Back