which are the newest panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimara

Reaction score
I have a sequel II with the plastic crossbars of the transparent color panel and a sl3 with the black crossbars, which are the newest panels?

Hola Vimara,

As far as I know, the new panels start with the launched model Summits in 2005. The stat holes are smaller making to have the diaphragm to be exposed to the air about 40% more than the older models like yours. Being these panels more efficient, can not replaced the old ones.

This does not means that the old panels are bad, or they do not sound OK. Just believe what your ears are telling you.

Happy listening!

When I replaced my SL3 panels they came with clear spars. I believe clear spars were the updated replacement.
The older speakers have qualities not present in the newer ones and vice versa. You ultimately have to decide and let your ears decide.
Enjoy!

Yes, the clear spars (plastic crossbars) are the newer version, which is actually special double-sided tape.

After hearing several new models vs a couple of old models including my 22 year old SL3's, I much prefer the older models sound.

Yes, the clear spars (plastic crossbars) are the newer version, which is actually special double-sided tape.

After hearing several new models vs a couple of old models including my 22 year old SL3's, I much prefer the older models sound.

That’s your liking, I have older models and my ears tell me a different story. The good thing is that we are happy with the overall quality sound that we are getting from our system.

Enjoy yours as I am enjoying mine too.

Happy listening.

20201116_164147.jpg

ok thanks guys I really have the two newly acquired second-hand pairs and surely I want to leave a pair with the best of each one, high-frequency, bass, panel, filters etc.

Last edited:
Another thing, the sl3 when the pilot is on if I get closer to an inch or two I hear the panel blow something that does not happen with the sequel II, do I have to worry?

Hola,

The SL3 is more efficient that the Sequel. Turn off your power amp and have listen after 30 seconds. Usually that's the S/R of your amp. If the power amp is turned off, and you still have a noise, them you should vacuum them.

Happy listening!

Another thing, the sl3 when the pilot is on if I get closer to an inch or two I hear the panel blow something that does not happen with the sequel II, do I have to worry?

As stated above, the "blow" or hiss that you're hearing is most likely from a bit of dust on the panels. Just leave them turned off for roughly 24 hours and then vacuum them front and back. That should either reduce or eliminate the hiss. Nothing to worry about at all.

This is a great picture as it highlights the true size difference between the Sequels and the SL3's... even though they have the same size ESL panel and 10" woofers. I started with an original pair of sequels in '89 and one downside was the that the sound fell apart if you were sitting on the floor because the panels are so high up. I now have SL3's, but there was a 5 year gap between owning the Sequels, so I forget how big they were. I'm very close to ordering new panels for my SL3's. I too love the look of these 'classics'. I wish ML would make a modern re-issue of the SL3 with a powered sub. I don't like how deep the new ones are.

He has the Sequel II's. They're stated as being the same efficiency.
I have been a ML dealer for over 33 years by now. I tested all speakers before they were sold. When the SL-3 came out, the apparent level at my preamplifier, the volume knob was pointing less for about the same SPL that I did use with the Sequel and Sequel II. The first thing as I recall, was how good the SL-3 sounded vs the Sequel II, having both the same size of the stat panels. The woofer speaker cabinet was different, and the size a little bit smaller...but definitively an improvement that was easy to listen to.

Happy listening

Exactly Roberto, the same thing happens to me, I like the sound of the sl3 better and that it has the old panels, it will be for a better filter, I will try to exchange the panels to see. It also has better bass despite what they say out there that the sl3 does not have bass, in my 25-meter living room it has and better than the sequel II, possibly the speaker that I think is a Scan Speak does its job better or the filter again. Although aesthetically I like the Sequel II more, especially after having restored the original color of the wood since it had a very old lacquer, it seems more impressive than the sl3, taller vertical and wider woods. So I still have the doubt if it is better to pass the electronics from the sl3 to the sequel or the other way around.
sequel II.jpg

Back