Where to put Script i's in HT room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davioj

Reaction score
Ok I have ESL's in the front, ESL C center what I am wondering is I have script i's and want to mount in new HT room, do you put them in the back or side surround position. Thinking also of another set of ESL's or in wall but cannot figure out where the best place would be and if I purchase another set of ESL's then where do you position each set, or just go with in walls. Setting up Atmos system and using 7.1.4 config. 4 IC's for ceiling and just trying to figure out what to use for the sides or rears and what position to put them in?

Dave

Scripts

I tried the scripts on the sides and rears when on the sides I had them mounted on the wall upside down so the stat panel were ear level and I tried the rear position with them mounted on stands my room is only 11’4” wide so I preferred the rear position because when mounted on the side they were to close to me. I used dynamic dipole surrounds on the sides mounted high on the wall. With good results. Right now I’m using dipole surrounds on the sides and rear with the summits and stage up front I have no complaints on how it sounds. What do u listen to most video or audio? I’m mostly audio so I use Just the summits. I do not use the surround effects just 2 channel. When I watch a movie then I use them all! Hope this makes sense!

I use mostly HT, I also am going to have a narrow room going to be 13' x 16', I have been toying with the Idea of mounting at the back and just do a 5.1.4 setup because the room is small. The place I got the speakers from build HT rooms and all kinds of Interior designs and the fellow I talked to was a HT installer he said with such a small room you will lose a little of the effect with the 7.1.4, but said too install the wiring in case I change my mind. right now I have Martin Logan EM/ESL for the front With the electromotion C center, the side and rears and height are all dipole speakers (paradigm) sounds ok but I want to go all Martin Logan my room which now is 11x16, also the speakers are Script not Script i but they were never sold just used as a display, definitely need a break in period think it will sound good with either electromotion R or IC's with the folded motion tweeders also got a Question do you put the speakers from the amp on surround sides or surround rears when mounting on the back I have a Anthem 1120 Amp.

Dave

I'm using the Script i's as L/R Surrounds and also had them as the Back L/R Surrounds as well with EFX's as L/R. The Script i's sound great but the EFX did sound a little better. If you have electrostats for fronts and center I think its better to do electrostats for sides and rear surrounds as well.

If installing scripts, then fully absorb the rear wave from the panel, as the reflection from the wall behind them will smear the sound.

If installing scripts, then fully absorb the rear wave from the panel, as the reflection from the wall behind them will smear the sound.

Are you saying to put sound dampening on the wall behind the speaker

Dave

Are you saying to put sound dampening on the wall behind the speaker

Dave

Correct, use a layered absorber that will dampen from 250Hz on up, with no reflective elements (e.g. plastic film) in it. An example commercial product is the RealTraps MiniTrap HF

Here's what happens to a signal that emanates from the panel, (to the front) and the reflected spike from the wall behind the speaker (2.5' in this case)
Note the inverted reflected version of the spike at around 4ms. That totally smears the sound.

attachment.php

Correct, use a layered absorber that will dampen from 250Hz on up, with no reflective elements (e.g. plastic film) in it. An example commercial product is the RealTraps MiniTrap HF

Here's what happens to a signal that emanates from the panel, (to the front) and the reflected spike from the wall behind the speaker (2.5' in this case)
Note the inverted reflected version of the spike at around 4ms. That totally smears the sound.

attachment.php

Should you also put absorber panels behind the front Em/ELS speakers

Dave

Should you also put absorber panels behind the front Em/ELS speakers

Dave

Yes, after many years of testing and measuring, I've settled on Absorption to handle a surround system, as it keeps the soundstage much more focused and clean.
My front wall is covered with Real Traps MiniTrap HF's, and the first 14' of my sidewalls have custom treatments. The last post in that linked thread has a diagram of all the treatments I have deployed in the HT room.

Back