Where to place my speakers...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTD

Reaction score
I've placed my Ethos on the long side of my room and am thinking of changing their position to the short side. What do you think, would that increase sound quality? I'm not sure as it would decrease the distance to the side-walls...
I did some basic CAD-renderings, so you can understand the room a little bit.

Bildschirmfoto 2011-11-14 um 00.26.11.jpgBildschirmfoto 2011-11-14 um 00.26.55.jpg

Room Size is about 25sqm. There are some Plants and a TV, so its not all that empty =).

Thank you for your advice!

LTD, to me it looks a little awkward. Will you leave the couch where it is? Currently, the sofa is strategically placed, but in the left photo, not so much. That being said, I have no idea if relocating the MLs will help or hurt the sound. Based on my experience, with my own room, I would move the couch across the room and place the speakers on the wall where the couch is, as I think non-symmetrical reflection points are better. Of course, that may not be practical in your situation. Good luck experimenting!

LTD, to me it looks a little awkward. Will you leave the couch where it is? Currently, the sofa is strategically placed, but in the left photo, not so much. That being said, I have no idea if relocating the MLs will help or hurt the sound. Based on my experience, with my own room, I would move the couch across the room and place the speakers on the wall where the couch is, as I think non-symmetrical reflection points are better. Of course, that may not be practical in your situation. Good luck experimenting!

Agree with the Geezer, flop the the walls otherwise your right channel will be all skewed up

I guess that would be perfect, however my girlfriend would quit our relationship for that move... Although the speaker-placement looks a bit odd, it doesn't actually alter the speaker-balance. When I move the speakers closer to the rear wall it gets obvious, but at about 1.5m away from the wall, it's barely noticeable. Seems like the front-soundwaves are quick enough. Yesterday I tried to cover the rear of my Ethos with the shipment cover - that didn't really change the situation, the sound is just a bit less airy. Maybe thats due to the wall behind the speakers - it's a soft wall, with a TV and some plants. Could it be, that the wall absorbs most of the sound before it's able to travel back to the listener?

I'll give your cross option a try, i guess it's worth it.

In option 1, you are sitting 90 degrees from the speakers? Maybe turn the sofa, have it sitting mid-room. Push the speakers closer to the wall, and use sound absorption behind the speakers and the wall behind the sofa and see what you get.

For option 2, I'd try to center it on that recessed right wall as best as possible, and maybe move the sofa to the left (aka up based on your picture) accordingly.

Also maybe push it back closer to the wall and test with some sound absorption.

I don't know what you have in the bottom right corner...maybe demo it?? Not primarily for speaker placement, but for more space...the sound would be a side benefit ;).

*Update*
What is the size of the room?

Last edited:
I think if you placed them on the short wall where the massive bookcase is would degrade the sound. I'm in agreement with Steve to swap the couch and speakers and have the smaller bookcase between the speaks or under the window on the short wall. the short wall being my prefered placement due to experimentation of large objects between the speakers. But as we all know, compromise with the better half is vital to not sleeping on the couch which is probaly too short!! :)

Gordon

FWIW, a listening position against a wall is NEVER good.

Actually everything sounds brilliant as it is. No screwed up right channel and no problem with the rear-wall. - I know the positioning looks very odd on picture 2 but it works. I was just worrying if it could get even "better" - so I will give that flip option a try today evening and let you know.

Room probs

I would try to pull the couch out just a few inches & soften the wall behind your head which some pretty wool trinket. Enjoy your dynamite system
;)

I would try to pull the couch out just a few inches & soften the wall behind your head which some pretty wool trinket. Enjoy your dynamite system

Thx, I pulled the couch a little forward. Sounds even a little bit more involving =).

I've got another question about a Subwoofer. Where would I have to put the subwoofer (Depth I) to in picture two? And would it make more sense to get sub for the Ethos, or invest the money in an upgrade to Montis? (my room still has only 26sqm - so its not that big and I barely listen to anything really loud)

Thx for your input!

Thx, I pulled the couch a little forward. Sounds even a little bit more involving =).

I've got another question about a Subwoofer. Where would I have to put the subwoofer (Depth I) to in picture two? And would it make more sense to get sub for the Ethos, or invest the money in an upgrade to Montis? (my room still has only 26sqm - so its not that big and I barely listen to anything really loud)

Thx for your input!

With one sub I like to start in the middle between both speakers and pull the sub front voice coil to align with the stats, and then take it from there

Back