Where have I heard that tune before?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I've been listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert No. 2 in C Minor, Op 18 'Adagio sosenuto'. I've been racking my brains. That tune is SO familier. Then I got it. It's Eric Carmen's 'All By Myself".

There are many other popular songs based on melodies that have been lifted from the classical composers...

edwinr said:
I've been listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert No. 2 in C Minor, Op 18 'Adagio sosenuto'. I've been racking my brains. That tune is SO familier. Then I got it. It's Eric Carmen's 'All By Myself".

There are many other popular songs based on melodies that have been lifted from the classical composers...

I think there was a pop ballad from the '40's called "Tonight With Open Arms" that was a direct rip-off of Rachmaninov (Piano Concerto #2.) There are many instances of classical to pop theft (or borrowing.)

Common practice I suspect, i believe even the Beattles did their fair share.

twich54 said:

Those of us old enough remember the "My Sweet Lord" vs. "He's So Fine" controversy. I believe George had to pay for that one.

twich54 said:

Baroque and earlier and later composers ripped off each others (and their own) tunes with reckless aplomb. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Back