When Is Good Enough, Enough?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rik_Rankin

At what point do you stop upgrading your system and just enjoy it? I have had much more expensive speakers than my current SL3s which I bought used. I think that when you can sit and enjoy music without think about the equipment, there is no reason to upgrade. What do you guys think?

when you know that you cant improve unless you spend 10 times on what you have, and that you really get into the music.
too many people listen to the equipment and not the music. i say as long as your happy and the sound is right, then the system is right. :)

This is actually two hobbies for me - music is one and audio is the other.

I can sit and enjoy music - on any system. When you are engrossed in the music, it dosen't matter what system you are enjoying it on. I remember sitting down after moving in to my current house and of course the 'logan system was not set up. I was whacked after a day of moving furniture and boxes, so I sat down in the middle of the mess with a beer and a portable radio/casette and got so engrossed in the music coming from that junky little thing that it was only when I got up I realised what an enjoyable music session I had just had! It made me realise that it is the music that is important, not the sound quality. I still find myself making the effort to ignore the sound and just enjoy the music.

That said, music is so much more enjoyable on a decent system. The audio equipment is my other hobby, and although I categorically enjoy music on what I have at present, I will always want to upgrade and improve the sound - it is a hobby, and not one that I want to lose! And it makes the music hobby even better!

Saying you can't enjoy music unless it is on a decent system is sort of like saying you can't enjoy going out with friends and visiting family unless you have a top of the range Ferrari to get to their houses. It is putting the cart before the horse and you miss out on so much enjoyment!

Last edited:
$$ Mistakes

Beat_Dominator said:
When you're wallet cries for mercy? :p
Just because it's newer and more expensive doesn't mean it's going to be better in your system. I've made some expensive mistakes in the past. The Wilson Sophias were a good example; too heavy in the mid-bass and no where near the presence in the mid-range that I have with my Logans.

When?

:) I'm similar to amey01, I actually have several hobbies involved here revolving around audiophilia - Music listening, Home Theater movies, Audio Visual Equipment, This Forum, Audio Visual entertainment - Home Movies / TV (to a lesser degree), someday to a greater degree - computer based musical audio-visual immersion. ;)

So, the answer to your question... When I shuffle off this mortal coil, in other words... Never. ;)

I share the same theme as amey101, although when I want to get serious about listening to music I usually listen to viynl.

When my competing hobbies, audio and woodworking, have sucked up all of my cash!

risabet said:
When my competing hobbies, audio and woodworking, have sucked up all of my cash!
You need to start building DIY speakers, then they won't be competing ;)

I divide my hobbies between car audio and HiFi...... and I still want to make my car more "mine" via certain aftermarket add-ons.

Since I am balancing 3+ potentially expensive hobbies, I just have to stop when it's time to shift focus..... but my focus will eventually shift back to my home setup :)

*edit*

That didn't make much sense hahah. I guess the answer is never...kind of. I get to a point where I'm happy and have "enough" performance. Then I shift to one of my other hobbies and tweak there a little, and so on. :confused: :p

Last edited:
dyazdani said:
You need to start building DIY speakers, then they won't be competing ;)

Building the boxes wouldn't be difficult but I would have to work and spend to be able to design a really good speaker since I do like electrostatics. I have however considered building some tower-style woofers. Any ideas?

Rik_Rankin said:
Just because it's newer and more expensive doesn't mean it's going to be better in your system. I've made some expensive mistakes in the past. The Wilson Sophias were a good example; too heavy in the mid-bass and no where near the presence in the mid-range that I have with my Logans.

Rik,

Funny that you should mention that at this time. I'm seriously considering Wilson Watt/Puppy 7's right now. I found a set at a real good price that the dealer wants to unload due to the Watt/Puppy 8's being released. I'm going to audition them in my home next week to see if they are the right replacement speaker for my Odyssey's.

Last edited:
Statman said:
Rik,

Funny that you should mention that at this time. I'm seriously considering Wilson Watt/Puppy 7's right now. I found a set at a real good price that the dealer wants to unload due to the Watt/Puppy 8's being released. I'm going to audition them in my home next week to see if they are the right replacement speaker for my Odyssey's.
they will play louder and maintain an overall more solid image at high volumes. They will not provide the "magic" in the mid-range that ML's do on vocals and sax. Make sure you get a lengthy audition; 1 day is not enough. That's how I made my mistake. They are better than the Sophia 1 that I had. If you are into loud rock or symphonic music, they might work. If you are into jazz vocals and trios they won't be as good. I would never go back to a dynamic speaker. Wilson makes a nice cabinet with average drivers and crossover. It is ridiculously overpriced. Pull the drivers out and look at the sloppy soldering job to the terminals; it will shock you. I hope you stick with ML and save your money!

risabet said:
Building the boxes wouldn't be difficult but I would have to work and spend to be able to design a really good speaker since I do like electrostatics. I have however considered building some tower-style woofers. Any ideas?

Yes, plenty ;) But then, that was predictable from me.
Start a thread in the DIY section. I’ll jump in, as I’m considering building bass/mid-bass towers to accompany the Monoliths.

As for the OP question:

Never. There is always some dimension of the room, the speakers, the electronics or the sources that can be improved upon.

There is a balance of cost, time and know-how that each person will pick at any given moment, and undoubtedly will be different from the others.
I’ve made different choices in that balance over time myself.

However, as others have posted, the goal of these system is to enjoy the music / movie content. As long as the system delivers a reasonable soundstage, I can get into the program and not listen to the system. Over the years, that has been achieved with everything from a $1K system to one that is worth 100 times more.

Robin said:
:) I'm similar to amey01, I actually have several hobbies involved here revolving around audiophilia - Music listening, Home Theater movies, Audio Visual Equipment, This Forum, Audio Visual entertainment - Home Movies / TV (to a lesser degree), someday to a greater degree - computer based musical audio-visual immersion. ;)

So, the answer to your question... When I shuffle off this mortal coil, in other words... Never. ;)

Yep, I'm with amey01 and Robin on this one. As long as I have a job and disposable income I will likely improve my system here and there (I just recently added an Esoteric DV-50S; must update my listing). But that sort of thing doesn't happen every day, and I'm not living for the next upgrade, usually taking several months of auditioning and trial and error before taking an upgrade plunge.

On the other hand, I listen to some amount of music on my system virtually every day.

And Robin, thanks for the suggestion in your response - tonight I'm going to add some "This Mortal Coil" to the listening session; fantastic band!

MiTT said:
Yep, I'm with amey01 and Robin on this one. As long as I have a job and disposable income I will likely improve my system here and there (I just recently added an Esoteric DV-50S; must update my listing). But that sort of thing doesn't happen every day, and I'm not living for the next upgrade, usually taking several months of auditioning and trial and error before taking an upgrade plunge.

On the other hand, I listen to some amount of music on my system virtually every day.

And Robin, thanks for the suggestion in your response - tonight I'm going to add some "This Mortal Coil" to the listening session; fantastic band!
Makes sense. I however have learned that new equipment does not make me happy unless I was really dissatisfied to begin with. We are also at the mercy of poor quality recordings.

Wow...?

MiTT said:

MiTT,

:eek: Amazing, simply amazing... There is really a band called the "This Mortal Coil"? :) I am assuming this band plays Rock correct? :confused:

Rik_Rankin said:
At what point do you stop upgrading your system and just enjoy it? I have had much more expensive speakers than my current SL3s which I bought used. I think that when you can sit and enjoy music without think about the equipment, there is no reason to upgrade. What do you guys think?
I've reached a doldrum of sorts with my system, since I bought the Sequels. Right now I'm extremely happy with it, and beyond some room treatments and such, I think it's going to stay that way for now. I'm constantly thinking about little things to improve, but since I'm a DIY/Resto/Mod type, that usually entails taking something apart. Now I'm really reluctant to do any open heart surgery! This is the first time I've been so happy with an audio system. Now I can relax and enjoy it and not worry. Plus I'm not sweating what my friends and neighbors have or what they've spent to get there. I know for some that can be a mighty incentive to upgrade! I will offer that, long term, I'll be doing a new amp and preamp, but I'll have to have a serious incentive to do that now!

For me, I find I upgrade my system every 10-15 years, usually because something breaks down (well, the amp!). I then find a lot has changed in the hifi world, (I may have new preferences as well), and end up getting a more or less complete new system. This process takes about 2 years, before I am satisfied again. I then sit back and enjoy. Maybe do a little tweaking, just for the fun of it, but really not thinking much about upgrades. I rather spend the time and money buying new music to listen to.
Svein

Jazzplayer said:
For me, I find I upgrade my system every 10-15 years, usually because something breaks down (well, the amp!). I then find a lot has changed in the hifi world, (I may have new preferences as well), and end up getting a more or less complete new system. This process takes about 2 years, before I am satisfied again. I then sit back and enjoy. Maybe do a little tweaking, just for the fun of it, but really not thinking much about upgrades. I rather spend the time and money buying new music to listen to.
Svein
NOT TOO OFTEN

Back