Whatta mistake....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdtv4you

Reaction score
So basically I am very happy with my current system, Carver amp and pre, Denon cd, M&K sats and sub, external crossover. But I have been thinkin on going with ML or Magnaplaner, so I strolled into Magnolia AV up here in Seattle to take a listen to some Purity's and probably buy them. They were in a real crappy room, cramped in with a bunch of garbage and right up against the wall. I asked the Best Buy pimply face idiot if we could move them a couple of feet away from the wall and he just looked at me like "What for". Anyway they sounded like crap and I siad bite me and left. Unfortunately they are the ONLY ML dealer in the state, so long story short I will be buying Maggies at Definitive Audio next week.
God how can ML put up with that kind of sales. :mad:

It's unfortunate that you would give up that easily.

Oh well, welcome to the IPod generation.

GG

You sound like a real nice person for a new salesman to deal with. It's a Magnolia store. We're you expecting to be served cheese and wine with your personal listening session?

Audition them in your home. Then if you don't like them you can simply return them. At least you typically have that option with a chain store.

I've never heard Logans sound good at a Magnolia store and the kids working there are CLUELESS!!

Before buying the Maggies, I'd buy the Logans and then return them if you're not happy.. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain....

Maggies are fine speakers too, so it's a win-win situation.

I am suprised that your winning personality didn't convince this kid to do as you asked.

The first time I auditioned MLs I wasn't impressed for the exact same reasons. However, I knew that there had to be the buzz for a reason so i didn't stop with the "pimply face idiot". I knew very little about the positioning of MLs at that point but knew that any speaker wasn't going to shine butted up against a myriad of others killing the soundstage. Once the salesman left I simply pulled them out from the wall and toed them in to my listening position. I'm sure it wasn't anywhere within the 1/2" tolerance they recommend, but hey I'm just trying to see why people love these things! once I did that it was like listening to completely different speakers. If you would have given them a chance, even if you weren't the type that auditions in your own home, you probably would have had a different impression. But you never know. The MLs have a house sound, as do the Maggies, and not everyone is amazed by them. Good luck in your search :music:

Which Magnolia store did you go to in the Seattle area as there are Best Buy sections and real Magnolia stores that focus on real staging and professional sales. Magnolia will never be the same as they were pre-Best Buy purchase but if you go to the U-District store or Bellevue you should at least get the proper room and kit regardless of Sales person.

In any event, I like Definative Audio as well but I would not let one bad experience push you to that kind of investment decision without really being completely comfortable you have heard all the products you are looking at in the proper light.

If you don't mind used, you can also hit Hawthorne on Rosevelt in the U-district and tell them specifically what you are looking for (if they don't have it there already) and get some pretty good deals.

You have Magnolia (a real one), Definative Audio, Hawthorne, and others that I would not recomend all on the same block. The Audio trifecta in Seattle.

I would call the Magnolia store on Rosevelt, speak to the store manager, tell him specifically what your situation is, set up an appointment with him personally, and if you don't like what you hear (Summits, Decent i, and a bunck of Mac's) then hang a left and do your deal with DA.

Good luck.

I purchased most of my audio equipment at Magnolia store in Roosevelt. if you go to Magnolia store (Roosevelt) next time and ask for Paul (Sale Manager). Paul is very nice person (salesman) to work with.

Enjoy your audition.:music:
An

As others have said... Go to a real Magnolia, not Best Buy. I live in Bellevue but like the Magnolia down in South Center. They move equipment all over the place for me, even room to room.

Ask for Tony if you visit the South Center store. Tony's spent several hours working with me on the Vantages I'm picking up tomorrow (I so Excite!). He moved them from where they were displayed to a different room that more closely matched my existing setup and then probably spent an hour demoing both my stuff and his stuff for me and my girlfriend. Granted I've spent a fair amount of money with Magnolia over the years and they know it but I've seen them spend a lot of time with people looking at equipment worth a lot less so there are good sales guys out there...

-steve

I have a feeling this guy is a troll.

If he doesn't respond, or post something else, I'll 86 him and nix this thread.

WOW
I am not a troll but a 55 year old that has been into audio since the late 60's. Buy the way I have spent in the range of 60K over the years when the Tweetens owned Magnolia. Also I was very lucky that one of the GM's I am friends with, who buy the way left the company when Len and his son sold to Best Buy. So no I am not an ipodder, don't even own one. I just have growen to expect great things from Magnolia, but in all fairness to them this is the 1st time since they changed that I have been in a store. And yes everyone needs a second chance, but when you have cash in your pocket and are ready to buy and the sales person has zero clue to why you want to move the speaks, what gear you have and the room size, then I get the feeling why would a company like ML which I am buying due to the fact they have great customer service and I love the sound, would allow their outlets to be that slack.

I was just pi$$ed yesterday cuz I wanted to bring them home but refused to be blowen off. I will still buy ML but will drive down to Portland to a high end shop and do business.

So if that makes me a Dick then so be it. I truely am just a regular working stiff that loves HI FI and have been spoiled I guess by having people in the past sell to me with the same passion.

So none of you guys are passionate about your equipment? So now Tom is gonna 86 me if I don't reply, WOW I guess I am better off just being a viewer and not post. Tom if you gotta boot me then I understand you gotta do what you gotta do.

If you wanna find out what kind of loyalty I have for goods then call Doxon Toyota and ask for Leroy the sales manager and see if he has enjoyed my business of 31 cars and trucks since 1985, all new only 2 used. If you need more refs pm me and I will gladly give you several places I spend major $$$ with and they don't have a need to call me a troll or threaten to ban me.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you want to know why you got the response that you did on this forum, then go back and read your first post. We are a community of folks that are passionate about ML and about this forum. We have a lot of experience and we like to help folks out with information when we can. But when someone comes on to the forum talking trash in their first post, we don't take it too well.

Most newbies introduce themselves and ask a question or two and graciously ask for assistance. You came on with an attitude, bitchin' about pimply faced idiots, speakers sounded like crap, bite me, I'm buying Maggies. With that as your first post and introduction to the forum, I would say overall the responses were probably too kind. Please understand that this is a community. Show us some respect and we will return the favor.

Well taken.
I appreciate your input, and I apologize for the attitude, but as I said I was ready to buy, just like the many times prior I have been to Magnolia, also for the sake of time and space I didn't go into full detail. I was there for almost an hour and I was very calm and polite to the young man, but if your sales force is not up to the task of providing help with high end pieces then maybe a bit more training is in order.

Anyway once again sorry, and this horse is beaten pretty much to death, and I still am without ML and Magnolia missed a sale.

Thanks for you time

I just learned there are few demo pair of Summit on sale at Magnolia store. My sale manager told me that they try to get rid of the current Summit and may get the new Summit (X)? in July.

Well taken.
I appreciate your input, and I apologize for the attitude, but as I said I was ready to buy, just like the many times prior I have been to Magnolia, also for the sake of time and space I didn't go into full detail. I was there for almost an hour and I was very calm and polite to the young man, but if your sales force is not up to the task of providing help with high end pieces then maybe a bit more training is in order.

Anyway once again sorry, and this horse is beaten pretty much to death, and I still am without ML and Magnolia missed a sale.

Thanks for you time

If you end up with a pair of ML's and stay with the forum, I think you will find that the most frequent posters and moderators have strong opinions but mean well. Sounds like you might have been monitoring the site for a while and know that already. Regardless, I don't think anyone outside of the Northwest that grew up with the orignial Magnolia and their world class customer service and staff can really appreciate the extent of the differance but unless you are looking for a tax break (not a bad idea for a realitively short drive) you don't have to go to Portland to get a good sales person, proper set up, full complement of options, or fair deal.

Ultimately your choice of course but I hope you stay with the group and we get some more Northwest folks involved to the point we can host our own listening sessions and maybe sway the group in our direction some time.

If you want to know why you got the response that you did on this forum, then go back and read your first post. We are a community of folks that are passionate about ML and about this forum. We have a lot of experience and we like to help folks out with information when we can. But when someone comes on to the forum talking trash in their first post, we don't take it too well.

Most newbies introduce themselves and ask a question or two and graciously ask for assistance. You came on with an attitude, bitchin' about pimply faced idiots, speakers sounded like crap, bite me, I'm buying Maggies. With that as your first post and introduction to the forum, I would say overall the responses were probably too kind. Please understand that this is a community. Show us some respect and we will return the favor.

Rich, I couldn't have said it better..

hdtv4you, glad to have you hear and I'm glad you're not a troll, because we all help each other here and learn alot about this passion that we have for all things MartinLogan.

and by the way, i got 4 private messages from other members giving me the heads up that they thought you might be trolling... unfortunately, internet forums attract people with nothing better to do than find a forum, register and stir up some sh1t and then leave... it sucks, but it's reality.

Best Regards...

Last edited:
johnwa said it best. Thanks for havin my back:bowdown:

Nuff said lets drop it and move forward. I really want ML in my room. Tom can you just delete this thread and I will start over when I get my new speaks.

Thanks again johnwa.......

Patience is key

Please keep things in perspective. Audiophile grade products are a small niche. In order for companies like ML to survive and serve the audiophile, they have to have move toward the mainstream market. The cash from lower end can then be used for R&D into higher end, which ultimately trickles down to the lower models. Tweeter/ Magnolia is one such compromise.

Latest posts

Back