What's with the Odyssey?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pohopien

Reaction score
Why are Odysseys going for so cheap on Audiogon? This is a speaker that retailed a couple thousand above the Ascent.....yet the Ascents often go for the same or even more money.

Is the Odyssey a flawed design or something. Just wondering why nobody is picking these up. I see a pair out there now, one is $2,400 and the other is $2,000!

Both the Ascents and Odysseys have a similar same panel size....so it shouldn't be a room matching issue.

I have seen those adds also and thought they were giving them away. The Odessey's are a great sounding speaker , I own a pair and love the sound they put out.You can think of the Odessey as a bit smaller Prodigy. If you are in the market, don't hesitate to buy them at that price.

Cheers, Greg

The Odyssey's are large. Much bigger that the current generation of Vantages, Vistas and Summits... A large room is a prerequisite. And they are now a couple of generations old. Great speakers, mind you, but lacking the latest whiz-bang technology.

I liken the phenomena that you're seeing to that of trying to sell a $500,000 house in a working-class town.... you really have to find the right customer or be prepared to discount heavily.

~VDR

While the Odysseys are indeed a few years old, many people still prefer the sound of that speaker over the new line available today.

Food for thought.

No, I am not knocking the Vista/Vantage/Summit line. I have heard the Vantages a number of times and they are a fantastic speaker to say the least. But if you come across a nice deal to obtain some Odysseys, I would strongly consider it.

Erik

I own both the Odyssey and Ascent and love them both. They sound very similar in my room, with the nod going to the Odyssey for deeper bass response. The odyssey is simply a larger footprint and therefore a more difficult sell to the wife unless you have a dedicated room. They also need a larger room compared with the Ascents because of the depth. They need to be placed a bit further from the back wall. The Ascent has a smaller footprint both height and depth wise. The one generation old means little to nothing to those who have heard them. But it may mean something to those who are just researching the brand and want the latest offerings. The phenomenon on Agon may have something to do with the size. I find it strange as well. The ascents typically go for 1900-2100 while the Odysseys have gone for ~500.00 more in the past on average. I'm not sure if numbers are allowed here, so pardon me if I have mis-stepped.

IT also may have something to do with patience. People looking to unload them quickly will give in and reduce asking price quickly.

Back