Whats up with the outlaws?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matten Logan

Reaction score
Okay, after reading some seriosly heated and sometimes very offensive comparrisons of outlaw audio to anthem, rotel, and other moderately priced seperates systems on the av forums, I need some honest advice. Outlaw offers their new balanced 990 pre/pro and 7500 amp at under $3K. An anthem AVM-20 used goes for 1800, not to mention you need an amp, and dont know if you even get a warranty. I researched the outlaw and the processor is modeled after a Sherwood that costs almost three times as much. I know the outlaw wont sound as good, but if I can get 80 to 90% of the preformance for 1/4 the price, am I going to regret it? Seriously, outlaw uses cirrus logic dsp chips and Analog Devices dacs. Thats the same as many higher end H&K's, Integra's (also H&K), and Sherwoods. The amp inside the 7500 is a/b weighted at 200 @ 8ohms and 300@4ohms and weighs in at like 85 pounds. It looks like a sherbourne inside, with three less toroidal transformers (only two), and five HUGE heat sinks. This just seems to me like a rediculous bargain. Anyone ever own outlaw and hear them on ML's? Curious how they match.
Heres the system

System 108 :confused:

Last edited:
The new Outlaw stuff looks quite well built. Sorry, I can't comment on the performance. I'm interested in knowing myself...

Matten Logan said:
Anyone ever own outlaw and hear them on ML's? Curious how they match.

Hi,
I have an Outlaw 950 (the predecessor to the 990) that I got about a year and a half ago. It replaced a Sunfire Theater Grand pre/pro. For 2 channel use, they are both very, very good. For multichannel use the Outlaw wins, hands down. Oh, and it was $2k cheaper than the Sunfire as well. I have no regrets about the purchase.

They have a very generous return policy, so you can try them out, and if it's not your cup of tea, just send them back...but I bet you don't. I'm using a Classe amp and CLS's with mine.

Peter

I have not heard the new processor or amp, but I have been using the Outlaw ICBM as the crossover in my ML based home theater for several years. It sounds wonderful. When I had a problem I called Outlaw and spoke to a real person who helped me troubleshoot the problem IMHO these folks are the real deal and I have no qualms about purchasing their gear.

I use an Outlaw pre/pro and amp with my Clarity's. I am very happy with the setup. I have used it for about two years with no problems. I would definately consider them again. As another poster pointed out, they have a money back guarantee. If you decide you don't like their stuff, they will take it back, no questions asked. The savings they offer is the result of their direct sales model. They cut out the retail mark-up by selling direct to the end customer.

Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
I have an Outlaw 950 (the predecessor to the 990) that I got about a year and a half ago. It replaced a Sunfire Theater Grand pre/pro. For 2 channel use, they are both very, very good. For multichannel use the Outlaw wins, hands down. Oh, and it was $2k cheaper than the Sunfire as well. I have no regrets about the purchase. Peter

Peter, I have always wondered how the Outlaws would compare with the Sunfire in terms of sound, clarity, power, etc with ML's. Did you stay with the Outlaw amp as well, or using something else? Can you elaborate?

I, for one, keep hearing good things about the new Outlaw set, and came dangerously close to buying their LFM-1 sub, which is a great unit.

Last edited:
I've been lurking around here for six weeks or so now and this thread motivated a response. I have the 990 pre/pro w/ the 7700 amp. Anyone considering Outlaws should heed my warning, they carry some form of infectious diease. I purchased the combo pair to replace a yamaha rx-v1 and since then my life has been total ( I don't have the words). I had Klipsch ksp 400, klipsch center and rear w/ B & W for surrounds when I bought the Outlaws. Since purchasing the Outlaws, I've gotten rid of every piece of equipment I had before the purchase. I first bought a pair of Vantages, four Scripts, A Theater I and a Velodyne DD12 sub. Well I don't have the Vantages any longer they've been replaced by, you guessed it "Summits". My new DVD is a Simaudio Orbiter and tomorrow I pick up my new Simaudio 5.3 Cd player. Never mind the acoustic treatments, interconnects and related various sundries. Oh yeah, the Outlaw product is an excellent value which I have no qualms recommending. Is it the end all to beat all? No and I truly doubt that there is any such thing. The people at Outlaw do what they say and deliver a fine product. Will this combo be my last? That answer should be very, very clear from this post.

Regards to all

Adrian

yes. we need to quarantine joey. Or maybe I should just rely on him for second hand deals. Even used from him is like new, because he had it a total of 30 days and got something better.

Back on topic... being unfamiliar with their stuff, I was just reading an Outlaw 970/7075 review at AV Revolution here and perversely, the large picture ad on the right side of the review page was for the Summits from Martin Logan. It's apparently a rotating ad space, so it likely won't be the Summits if you go look now. I just thought that it was humorous to happen across one in this context (no, it had nothing to do with the http referrer field - I linked in from the Outlaw site).

Well for one, the Sherwood Newcastle product that the Outlaw is based off of is not three times as much. In fact street price on the Newcastle is about $1250 or $150 more than the Outlaw.

In fact the Newcastle combination amp would set you back about $2,500.

However I like the Outlaw amp over the Newcastle. The amp is not the same amp at all. However yet again I like the Newcastle PRe-Pro over the Outlaw as it has just a few things I like better.

However in that price range, the NAD combination is better than the Outlaw combination, but slightly more money.

The Sherwood Newcastle P-965 Revision II is out now for $1495 MSRP. Street on it is about $1250.

It doesn't have the DVI switches of the 990. HOWEVER Sherwood sells a HDMI switcher that is separate from the Prepro and claim the reason is that built in, it degrades sound quality.

I believe them, and still combining the P-965 with their switcher the HSB-600 with the Outlaw amp would be amazing.

Thanks for the price clarification. Any idea of prices for the NAD stuff, they don't post that info their site. Also, what are the array of inputs if you know? I'm particularly partial to getting balanced because I'm moving soon and might need longer cable runs.

In that sense I would buy the Outlaw 990 and the NAD T973.

Its a sweet combination. The NAD amp is priced around the Outlaw as well.

Latest posts

Back