What would you do ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
If you had a pair of 16 year old CLS II's which are enlisted to get new panels any time soon (CHF 2300) and the opportunity to buy a almost new pair of odysseys for CHF 6000, what would you do ? (We presume that the CLS IIs will sell for at least CHF 1000)... CHF = Swiss francs. What would you do ? I'm really puzzled... the CLS are a symbol in ML's history, and coupled as they are with a very good subwoofer, I don't miss the lower octaves. Actually they sound pretty good, and with new panels they might become divine...what should I do ? (Damn, Joey, your upgraditis is highly toxic)...

lugano said:
If you had a pair of 16 year old CLS II's which are enlisted to get new panels any time soon (CHF 2300) and the opportunity to buy a almost new pair of odysseys for CHF 6000, what would you do ? (We presume that the CLS IIs will sell for at least CHF 1000)... CHF = Swiss francs. What would you do ? I'm really puzzled... the CLS are a symbol in ML's history, and coupled as they are with a very good subwoofer, I don't miss the lower octaves. Actually they sound pretty good, and with new panels they might become divine...what should I do ? (Damn, Joey, your upgraditis is highly toxic)...
If it were ME, i'd get new panels!

I suppose as a Sequel owner I'm good for <1.8! I'd get new screens for it, and upgrades for the crossovers and boards. Then save your CHFs for a pair of Summits!
If it helps, I'm going to: upgrade the caps and inductors in the crossovers, and replace the 1N4007 diodes on the main boards with HEXFREDs, and new panels. I'll have the sweetest sounding Sequel Is on the planet! The satisfaction of hotrodding a classic for me has a greater value than upgrading to a new speaker, in the short term. Eventually I'll get Summits, or perhaps something bigger. Hotrodding what I've got gives me more time to save up for a major upgrade.

Tube60 said:
I suppose as a Sequel owner I'm good for <1.8!

I think I forgot to mention it, but senior members have also a 1.5 multiplier :D

So far, 3:0 for repanelling :)

It's just that I can hardly stand a millionaire who bought a couple of odysseys, used them for 30 hours and is pushing them on ebay because he ain't got enough room for them... ML's deserve respect ! And a cozy home, too...

Last edited:
I think either way may be a good choice. Having said that so I am politically correct, :D I would get new panels for the CLS. I did and they are great. :D:D
I also have a pair of Sequel II's with replaced panels which also sound great.
Just my opinion as biased as it is.

Jeff :cool:

Tube60 said:
The satisfaction of hotrodding a classic for me has a greater value than upgrading to a new speaker

I agree with Tube but,
As an Odyssey owner I can tell you I'm quite happy,I've never heard the CLS's,but I know your dilemma well.I was quite happy with my Klipsch Forte's for almost 20 years before replacing them with the Odysseys,in fact I couldn't part with them and have them hooked up in my basement with an old Adcom GFA 555 amp.The Fortes need to be reconed,but I've never gotten around to it.

Someting else I forgot to mention: I've just forked out a lot of dough for an amplifier which can provide enough booze to the CLS in order to make them happily sing at higher volume (something that my former power amp was failing at), and I've gone through a 15-day period of suffering, waiting for the new king of the road to burn in. My family hates me and does not appreciate that Diana Krall was on 24/24 all these days (I would have chosen pink noise... but that translates into total thermonuclear war at home). Anyway, to sum things up, it seems that everybody is telling me to worship the CLS's and offer them the panels they were dying for. Deep inside me, this one was my take, too, so thank you for confirming my primary urge :D

Repanel, no doubt.

Cheaper and one of the best MLs depending on setup/room/etc...

I say, let the upgraditis spread!!!!!

So, how much does my vote count towards? 1.0? 1.5? 2.0?

I don't see the problem here. . .

The obvious answer is to do both. :p

Buy the Odysseys now, but hang on to the CLS II's and repanel them as time and money permit.

Who says you only need one audio system. I'm thinking separate ML systems, one for hi fi and one for home theater. I'm sure the family will approve. ;)

I'd repanel. BUT, Rich has a point - buy the Odysseys and enjoy them, then repanel when funds permit. You can't have enough audio equipment!

Here's what I did in the same situation : I bought the Odysseys and kept the CLS. Now I enjoy both pairs ! :cool:

So, that's what I would do if financially possible. Otherwise, I'd repanel the CLS, mostly so if your new amplifier is up to the task ! They are worth it !

Regards

I did not expect such a massive choir of "repanel, repanel" :)

Thank you guys, it's nice to see that we think the same and that the CLS's are widely appreciated (at least until the CLX comes...)

There's no way that I can afford to buy the Odysseys and keep the CLS - it might be done financially but the real estate for keeping both systems is simply NOT available.

One more for repanel.

If you have a good sub, then you are set.

There is no substitute for a full range CLS panel.

BTW. I would try some tweaks with the old panels before replacing with the new panels just to see what improvements can be done. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well I would always recommend the wash first, but then again if they appear to be clean and free of dust it couldn't hurt to try a small sample. Worst case scenario is you need to wash it off (and it does wash off).

What is interesting with the washing of the panels is that it can have a rejuvenating effect. Years of air born contamination can start to drain the static charge from the diaphragm and typical signs of this is when more and more power is needed to produce a listening volume. I can only suspect this might be the case for you right now hence toying with the idea of replacing the panels. :(

Latest posts

Back