What would you do?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstring

Reaction score
Last night I was listening to Frank Zappa's Halloween DVDA when I realized the TV was distracting me, so I decided to turn it off. Whoa, all of a sudden the musical stage became noticebly more precise. I had always felt I was getting this weird image smear that was a result of the glass windows next to the left speaker; however, when I turned the TV off everything became more precise. The bass was significantly tighter with a nice slam. The midrange was smoother; although I never thought it to be harsh. It knid of freaked me out that I could hear such a dramatic change in the presentation.

I have not given much thought about a power conditioner, but given the events of last night, it would appear that at critical listening levels, with the TV (Pioneer Elite PRO630HD) on, that I may be experiencing some drop in voltage that is audibly effecting the quality of my listening. Would a balance power conditioner help this situation, because for concert videos you need the TV on ;) . It's funny because I have recetnly nonticed how the transformer in my line conditioner hums when everything is on. To quote Roberto, "I trusted my ears."

What would you do?

I would get a Richard Gray Power Center, perhaps either a 400pro or a 600S model. They are simply wonderful

Hi,

the effect could be also psychological. Late in the evening when all are fallen asleep I tend to turn most of the lights off, relax & listen at low levels: the surrounding disturbances and noises are minimal. Often with eyes closed - definitely when the primary perceptors (eyes) have been less busy the sounds get much more attention and then I notice how the nice the system sounds, subtle details etc etc - many things that during the day just slip being unnoticed. I know that under same conditions the amount of light - not to mention the TV - makes a difference. Not technically but pshychologically.

get rid of the TV, go with a front projector, wire yourself in a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It amazes me the amount of people that drop good money on line conditioners, etc. but don't address the REAL issues, ie........ do you know what is sharing your existing circuit between the outlet and your breaker box ??

twich54 said:
get rid of the TV, go with a front projector, wire yourself in a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It amazes me the amount of people that drop good money on line conditioners, etc. but don't address the REAL issues, ie........ do you know what is sharing your existing circuit between the outlet and your breaker box ??

You know twitch, the thought did cross my mind to see what capacity the circuits are. It may be as simple as a 15 amp fuse. It's interesting in that my other front may be on another circuit because it sounds smoother. I have always thought that I was/am hearing early reflections from the glass, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone know if a balanced power conditioner is a more economical solution than having an electrition rewier my breaker box?

Added AC Power Makes a Huge Improvement...

twich54 said:
Dave,

I agree. I had up-graded plus added 50 amps (modifiying or adding four circuits) of additional power to my HT room for all of my equipment. The additional juice has really made a huge improvement to my over all sound. :D I discribed the process in this post:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931&page=2&pp=15&highlight=electrical+power

gstring,

I used a good electrician for the job, it was really worth the expense. ;)

HTH

Latest posts

Back