What to upgrade next... new ML's, Krell amps, ...???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon,

I had the SL3's before buying the Summit. I've also heard the Prodigy.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you are 75% movies, I don't quite understand why the Prodigy would be a better choice versus the Summit.

Have you had the chance to audition the Summit in a similar environment?

Gordon

Last edited:
Greg,

thanks for the input. It seems that Oppo no longer produces that model... What is so great about this player compared to my Sony (if ya don't mind me asking?)?

The Oppo BDP-83 was just discontinued and will be replaced this month with the new Oppo BDP-93. If you want the latest you might wait a couple of weeks until the -93 becomes available or you might look for a solid discount on the -83. However the Sony may still be good enough depending on your particular use.

The Sony does not handle SACD which is a killer to me. The Sony does not handle VCD another killer to me as I have over 200 Thai language VCD's (however VCD ability doesn't matter to most U.S. users). The Sony cannot stream DTS Master Audio so some high-rez soundtracts cannot be accessed.

The Oppo supports both NTSC and PAL systems, I am not certain if this is true for the Sony.

FYI, the Sony does what it does well but there are some things that it does not do. Only you know if the Sony does enough for you.

I beleive it is the Oppo 83 not being made anymore. I am talking about the SE model. They have the new 32 bit sabre chips in the dac. Some other high end manufacturers have incorporated this very chip.

Just google the Oppo nu force edition. I will keep my eye's open for prodigy's up here in Canada for you. I agree with your larger panel theory completely.

Cheers, Greg

I beleive it is the Oppo 83 not being made anymore. I am talking about the SE model. They have the new 32 bit sabre chips in the dac.

Just google the Oppo nu force edition.

Greg,

The SE stands for Special Edition and the full name is Oppo 83SE. You are correct, the upgrades in the SE include the ESS Sabre32 DAC for stereo output and the Sabre DAC for 7.1. They also upgraded the power supply. These upgrades were only for analog audio. If you used the HDMI there is no difference between the 83SE and the regular 83. NuForce is a separate company that upgraded the 83SE by adding some capacitors and some other mods to enhance the 83SE. I understand the 83SE has also been discontinued. At the moment, I do not believe Oppo has a 93SE in the works. They do however have a new "audiophile" player with a target price of $2500 in the works for some time next year. The 83, 83SE, and 83SE Nuforce edition are all good equipment and I hope the 93 is an improvement.

But we digress. My recommendation still remains for Gordon to make his next upgrade his main speakers be they Prodigy's or Summit's or ...

Regards,
Gary

Latest posts

Back