What other interests or hobbies do you spend time on?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very interested in your version and tricks of a great prime rib...

Other hobbies include flying my single engine airplane around on sighseeing trips.
Low and Slow. Basically, the same as how Lawry's suggests cooking their meat that can be ordered and shipped. Here is a link to the prep instructions: Lawry's At Home

I cook it at 200º on Convection Roast all the way till I take it out, so it takes about 4+ hours for 4-5 lbs with bone. This amount of time allows the fat to render nicely and adds a ton of flavor. It also helps with tenderizing the meat, so even a not so great cut can end up being pretty good.

I've always wanted to fly, and also jump out! Maybe one of these days I'll get around to sky diving.

Nice table! What kind of bike(s) do you ride?

My wife and I have matching Specialized Stumpjumper Experts ( full suspension mountain bikes)
We both have hard tails, mine is a Cannondale F600.
We both have road bikes, mine is a Specialized Roubaix and I also have a 1983 Cannondale SR900 setup as a single speed.

I used to road race and my wife got me into mountain biking when I first met her.

bikerackfull.jpg

The table is my favorite piece. It's epoxy coated my wife and I have been eating off of it for a number of years now.

The center is birds eye maple with ebony accent strips and highly figured quarter sawn white oak framing it in. The center edge banding for the table top is ribbon Sapele which is like a mahogany. It has a baltic birch plywood core, but the veneers are about 1/3 inch thick on top.
epoxycoat.jpg

The surface is like glass.
coolreflection.jpg

I tried to make the legs match the top. The leg core is baltic birch with white oak front and back forming an I-beam for strength, then filled the center in with more birds eye maple and ebony accents. The legs are removable and fit into slots with 3x 1/4-20 bolts going into threaded inserts, sandwiching them in place on both sides.
sealedlegs_2699.jpg

Also made a very deep chest of shallow drawers to fit in my office for all my little tools.
Of interest is that each drawer face is made from 3 pieces of red oak fit together with tongue and grooves for dimensional stability .
firstsemifinishedlook.jpg

Solid walnut table. Although the round sections were made from many layers glued into a form.
f3inplace_2366.jpg

The table is my favorite piece. It's epoxy coated my wife and I have been eating off of it for a number of years now.
That's really amazing, nice work!

I've seen a video where an epoxy mix was poured onto the tabletop, torched a bit, and let dry for 12 hours?

That's really amazing, nice work!

I've seen a video where an epoxy mix was poured onto the tabletop, torched a bit, and let dry for 12 hours?

The heat gun worked pretty well and I didn't have a lot of bubbling. But I did initially run the torch over a couple bubbles, but I put it away pretty quickly.
epoxyready_2725.jpg

I taped the bottom off so I could peel the drying drips off before it completely hardened.
maskingtapeundertable.jpg

Epoxy continues to harden for a while after it is dry to the touch. I ended up waiting about 36 hours before I wanted to put things on it just to be safe. Given the time I spent building this, I thought being cautious with the final stage made sense.
Letitdry.jpg

Very nice Mark, you like Brad sure have the woodworking skills !

Back