What other interests or hobbies do you spend time on?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would like to know what you do except Martin Logan or ML-related.

Cooking/Baking!

I'm not shy in saying I'm a great cook! My fan favorite specialties are chicken breasts in a wine sauce with caramelized onions over noodles, Pot Roast that is cooked for 12 hours, and, Prime Rib/Mashed Potatoes/Gravy/Rolls that rivals Lawry's The Prime Rib - especially the Brown Gravy. The secret for brown gravy to taste like Lawry's eluded me until after the Chicago location was closed at the end of 2020 after 46 years of operation which made me desperate to get it right. So in 2021, I discovered the secret is a mixture of Browning And Seasoning Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce along with, of course, the meat drippings.

My contributions for Thanksgiving Dinner at a friend's house this year, and last year, were to make 8lbs (net after peeling) of Mashed Potatoes and lots of homemade Rolls.

Over easy, sunny side up, scrambled, poached, hard or soft boiled, using rings or cups. These are all the ways I like to cook eggs. I began with cooking soft boiled eggs when I was 10 years old and soon perfected the method of scooping the egg out of the shell. And of course, French Toast!

Howdy folks,
I play drums in metal bands and have traveled the globe doing so. Met a lot of people and had & still have great times. I also Have old and new Muscle cars I play around with as well as an avid Horror movie artifact collector.

Howdy folks,
I play drums in metal bands and have traveled the globe doing so. Met a lot of people and had & still have great times. I also Have old and new Muscle cars I play around with as well as an avid Horror movie artifact collector.
Traveling the globe! You must have played with some big ones. I'm excited to have tickets to see Metallica and Pantera play next year. Pantera reunited with Zakk Wylde on guitar and Charlie Benante on drums. Have you played with some well known bands? I'm a huge metal fan.

The most exciting concert I attended was Black Sabbath's The End tour.

Vegetable gardening. Growing roses and lilies..

And, I am currently trying to learn how to build a tube output stage for TDA1541A CD players. I have a Philips CD880 that has been my main player since I bought it new in 1989. In the past two years I have added a Marantz CD94 MKII, and a Marantz CD95 (Japan).

I also have a Philips CD304 MKII with (TDA1540 DACs) and the mother of all transports the CDM1 that I plan to sell soon. I am not wild about the sound of the TDA1540s but the transport would be great for someone who is building a DIY player.

I used to race my built Toyota MR2 turbo on the track at PIR but in my 70s I just couldn't keep up the maintenance so I sold it really cheap to a kid who proceeded to just resell it for a big profit. :( He had bugged me for months to sell it to him and said he was an enthusiast I wanted to buy a used PU truck so I wouldn't have to rent one every time I needed to pick up stuff for my gardening projects.

Last edited:
avid Sporting Clays shooter, Corvettes, running live steam engines on my outdoor garden railroad and keeping up with all my grandkids activities.

Traveling the globe! You must have played with some big ones. I'm excited to have tickets to see Metallica and Pantera play next year. Pantera reunited with Zakk Wylde on guitar and Charlie Benante on drums. Have you played with some well known bands? I'm a huge metal fan.

The most exciting concert I attended was Black Sabbath's The End tour.
Hey there! Haven't gotten to the "Big" Leagues yet but have played with Misfits, Undead, Static-X, Puddle of Mudd, that caliber. Did many mini tours opening for many many B level gigs as well. Yes agreed Charlie is ripping it up right now! One time I got to hang out with Slayer, Slipknot, Sepultura on the Slayer tour buses which has its own stories lol. Omg I can go on for days......I saw Sabbath in California on the Knotfest meets Ozzfest 5 years ago. My buddy does sound for Sabaton and hooked me up on the sound stage.

Hey there! Haven't gotten to the "Big" Leagues yet but have played with Misfits, Undead, Static-X, Puddle of Mudd, that caliber. Did many mini tours opening for many many B level gigs as well. Yes agreed Charlie is ripping it up right now! One time I got to hang out with Slayer, Slipknot, Sepultura on the Slayer tour buses which has its own stories lol. Omg I can go on for days......I saw Sabbath in California on the Knotfest meets Ozzfest 5 years ago. My buddy does sound for Sabaton and hooked me up on the sound stage.
Nice! You've had some great experiences. I'm jealous. I saw Anthrax for the 1st time a few years back when they toured with Slayer. They were fantastic in concert. Charlie Benante is a great drummer. Slipknot puts on a heck of a show too. I've never seen Sepultura but would like to. I bet that bus was fun!

Misfits are pretty big in my book. What's Glen Danzig like? Were you drumming for them back in the original days?

What kind of stereo systems do some of the band members you know use? Anyone Martin Logan fans?

avid Sporting Clays shooter, Corvettes, running live steam engines on my outdoor garden railroad and keeping up with all my grandkids activities.
Whats your clay shooting all about? I am interested in trying it as I do lots of range stuff just haven't done clay yet.

Nice! You've had some great experiences. I'm jealous. I saw Anthrax for the 1st time a few years back when they toured with Slayer. They were fantastic in concert. Charlie Benante is a great drummer. Slipknot puts on a heck of a show too. I've never seen Sepultura but would like to. I bet that bus was fun!

Misfits are pretty big in my book. What's Glen Danzig like? Were you drumming for them back in the original days?

What kind of stereo systems do some of the band members you know use? Anyone Martin Logan fans?
Def lots of experiences! lol. Yes Anthrax is great, Scott throws around a bit of personal attitude for no reason though. Well if you've ever read the rumors and attitude about Glenn they are most likely true. Lots of attitude there hahaha. I toured with Bobby Steele too and he hated that guy. Never discussed stereo stuff with any of them, most are worried about their gear and not listening systems overall.

Whats your clay shooting all about? I am interested in trying it as I do lots of range stuff just haven't done clay yet.
Sporting Clays is a shotgun sport that came to the US from England back in the 80's. It is known as the 'golf of the shooting sports' for a typical 100 bird course consists of 15-18 different stations with different presentations at each.

Sporting Clays is a shotgun sport that came to the US from England back in the 80's. It is known as the 'golf of the shooting sports' for a typical 100 bird course consists of 15-18 different stations with different presentations at each.
Every year here in the Vandalia area there used to be a big trap shoot. Not sure if it still goes on, but it was well known. Around the area of the Dayton International Airport where they have the big Airshow every year.

Robert, Trap is but one of the three primary shot gun disciplines and for me my least favorite. The three being..... trap, skeet and sporting clays

When I’m not out running my sport bike through the mountains, I’m exploring my backyard literally in my Can-Am.
2327245A-9288-49D9-9FA0-E3893B5277A8.jpeg
17C0245A-18FB-4888-9CAF-69139EA2CBEA.jpeg
20550D26-0496-4C32-959A-DDB501230B6D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would like to know what you do except Martin Logan or ML-related.
Classical piano: my skills don't hold a candle to any of the artists typically heard through my CLS II's (some favorites are Andreas Schiff, Caudio Arrau, Chic Corea). But having great music under my fingers, however imperfectly, is a joy high end audio can't replace.

Photography: I have a large collection of Nikon SLR's, DSLR's and mirrorless--some see regular use, especially the Z6. Favorite subjects are nature, pets and candids of people.

Woodworking: been hacking around with carpentry since childhood, but lately have gotten interested in serious craft woodworking. Acquired my first serious power tool, a nice Delta table saw, a couple of years ago. It still scares the bejesus out of me, in spite of which I can get stuff done on it. Hopefully my obsession with safety will continue, since piano playing without some fingers would be a real bummer.

Electronics and electronics construction: but that's probably too close to audio to count.

Robert, Trap is but one of the three primary shot gun disciplines and for me my least favorite. The three being..... trap, skeet and sporting clays
Ok. I didn't realize there were differences. I thought they were all terminology for the same thing. I need to look that up!

Found this

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.co...t-vs-trap-vs-sporting-clays-whats-difference/
Looks like that trap shoot I remember in Vandalia started in 1924.

"This is no small shooting event. The Grand American, in normal years, attracts between 4500 and 5000 shooters. It is the world championships of trap shooting. Teams and individuals travel from Scotland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada, and all points between to compete here. It was truly an international event in Ohio. The Grand American Trap Shoot is normally listed as the third largest participant sporting event behind the New York and Boston marathons."

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/grand-american-last-stand-ohio

Last edited:
Cooking/Baking!

I'm not shy in saying I'm a great cook! My fan favorite specialties are chicken breasts in a wine sauce with caramelized onions over noodles, Pot Roast that is cooked for 12 hours, and, Prime Rib/Mashed Potatoes/Gravy/Rolls that rivals Lawry's The Prime Rib - especially the Brown Gravy. The secret for brown gravy to taste like Lawry's eluded me until after the Chicago location was closed at the end of 2020 after 46 years of operation which made me desperate to get it right. So in 2021, I discovered the secret is a mixture of Browning And Seasoning Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce along with, of course, the meat drippings.

My contributions for Thanksgiving Dinner at a friend's house this year, and last year, were to make 8lbs (net after peeling) of Mashed Potatoes and lots of homemade Rolls.

Over easy, sunny side up, scrambled, poached, hard or soft boiled, using rings or cups. These are all the ways I like to cook eggs. I began with cooking soft boiled eggs when I was 10 years old and soon perfected the method of scooping the egg out of the shell. And of course, French Toast!
Eggs were the first thing I learned to actually cook too, about the same age. Graduated to souffles in early adulthood. Very recently learned (embarrassingly so) the best way to cook hard boiled eggs that peel easily is to steam them.

Cooking/Baking!

I would be very interested in your version and tricks of a great prime rib...

When it comes to red meat, I've spent many years perfecting the skill of grilling a filet mignon and I've gotten the method down so that I can produce repeated consistent results that will give the best steakhouses a run for their money. During the covid lockdowns I branched out into sous-vide plus sear and lamb has been my most successful experiment so far.

Other hobbies include flying my single engine airplane around on sighseeing trips.

I'm somewhat good when it comes to building things with my hands and woodshop projects are very enjoyable. I've built several speakers over the years and continue to be amazed how good $400 of components can sound when the build is completed.

Latest posts

Back