What Martin Logan speakers mean to me!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
Please be patient with me, not sure how much of this I can type tonight. Here it is 3:45 am 12-26-08 and at 11:50 PM on christams day I had to say what could be the last goodbye and words of Love to my mother. I sit here hoping she awakens in the next few hours but the odds are stacked against us. She has been in the hospital 8 times since July 28th, 2008. I have been a member of this site for awhile now and have placed a few threads and responded to some. I have never put my system in members are for many reasons. I am a poor man, with taste for the finer things that life offers and giving those finer things to others. I am 46 years old at this time and to be brutually honest i have never made more than $36k in any year that I have worked. I have been a hard worker and started working at age 14 when my step father died and 6 years later my mom was told she had Multiple Scelerosis and and could no longer walk. Needless to say my life have been spent at her side caring for her as her health issues became worse.

My mom always loved music and passed that on to me. I always made sure she had audio gear to have the music she desired and like me she always wished for better sounding audio. Thru the years I put together a nice system for her on my modest budget, picked up Klipsch rf-3 for the fronts, Rc-3 for the center and Rs-3 for the sides with and RSW-12 sub. We feed this with a nice pioneer elite reciever, and top of the line pioneer laser disc player and of brand cd player and tape player. I had bought other stuff in the past, sweet 2 channel audio with seperate yamaha amp and pre-amp going to Ohm 4 speakers. Well I bought all the klipsch stuff in 2000 and when I became permantently diabled in 2005 live got tough. In sept 2006 we lost our home, went partners with a friend on a house and he sold it out from uneder us in August 2007. No money left, so to speak, we move to Arkansas. pack up all the audio, mom made me pack that first. She said the furnature can stay behing but bring the stereo and cds. We had 700 albums but lost those during the first move.

So we get her to Arkansas, because we could live on our two incomes fairly nicely unlike california. Well on 2-5-08 our new home was hit by a tornado that went thru our town her in Arkansas, we survived but the house was hit hard and her beloved audio equipment paid the price for the whole in the roof. Seems water and audio equipment just dont get along, go figure. Thus begins my quest for audio nirvana. I looked at my mom and said we need to be happy and life could take us tomorrow so why not have what we desire. So like any audio nut that has an addictive personality I went shopping. I went in to my reserve account and started my quest. Picked up a new Denon avr-3808ci and a denon dvd-3930ci and fired up the klipsch. Well the sub took a dump. So I was reading reviews and knew I wanted a musical sub and everything said Martin logan Depth i. Well my nearest audio dealer with anything better than Pioneer Elite and klispch speakers was a mere 140 miles away. Well being disabaled and having to stop to walk around every 30 miles want going to work. So I looked on the Gon and found a used Depth I. Got that baby and oh was it tight and fast. Blended so well you didnt even know it was there. Well my good fortuune continued. I know had a 70 pound paper weight after 1 week. After 10 minutes of use it would right light. I called Martin Logan for help, talked to Mark Hurla and since the guy I bought it from worked at an authorized ML dealer he sent me the new amp I needed. So I get the new amp and everything is great. Mopm is watching Sarh Brightman live, life is good. Then the 80 buzz with nothing on, The sub has an internal short. Mark say ship us the sub, well while they have it I decide to suck it up and take a Car ride. My addictive mind is working, any company that treats a preson that didnt even buy the product new deserves my time. So I went to the bank and took out $4k and headed to Missouri. I walked in to best buy like a fool and listened to the Souces and I wwill have to say, they sucked. Not ML fault it was best buy. So I then drove to an Authorized ML dealer and walked into a room with claritys playing and my mouth hit the floor. I sat in that room for 45 minutes. I told him that I heard the sources but it was at Best buy and sound was awful. He told me no problem go get lunch and ill have the sources here i this room to to an a to b test. He said wait till you here them. This was ealry May. I left that dealer with a pair of sources and motif center and was going to use the rs-3 as sides. A few days later I get the sub back and hook everything up and before the 100 hour break in the sub shorts out. So this time ML sends me a brand new one and I call my ML dealer and say I am returning the Sources and motif, order me a pair of Vistas.

I get a friend to drive me to Missouri to get the Vistas and my mom sits at home waiting on UPS to bring the new sub with my neighbor. Get the Vistas home, hook it up to the denon avr3808ci and the dvd3930ci and put in an SACD copy of Sarah Brightman La Luna. My mom looks at me and smiles, and says its like she is sitting between the 2 speakers singing to just me. She tears up and I realize why. Back in 2005, I fullfilled 2 of her wishes, see Josh Groban Live and Most important Sarah Brightman. I got the Brightma tickets from PBS whcih included a special meet and great and front a special seats in a cut out area of the stage. Seeing her tears and hearing her comment sent me on a quest to make things even better. We watch a bunch of concert dvds also, so upgrade begins. I dump the rest of the Klispsch peakers, the denon 3930 dvd and denon avr3808ci to a friend and pick up a Nad M25 amp, Nad t175 pre-amp, NAd M5 Sacd player and a Lexicon Rt-20 dvd player. Figure this is a good place to start. I get a deal on a Motif from a dealer friend in Georgia. and find a used set of Script i's. So now we have 5.1 in our front room.

All this is done by june 15th and life is great, mom is happy and listening to music and life couldnt be better. She never asked me what i spent, but she did ask my friend. My friend said to her its not about the cost its about what this means to you. Now comes july and mom cant get out of bed, and you can see she is crushed and cant get out of bed. I tell her Ill put the audio in your room she says no, and I can see something sint right. So her I go, I sit in the front room alone listening to swing kids sound track and start shopping. I buy a pair of Aeon I's and dont tell her and I order a Jolida jd-100rc tube Int. Both arrive in a week and I take the Nad M5 cd/sacd and put that all in her bedroom for her. The look on her face said it all. She asked for cd after cd. No other speaker I have ever bought, be it Klipsch, Ohm, Acoustic Research, infinity warmed her heart as much as Ml did. She always said i cant belive that only 2 speakers are going and yet thats all that was in that room. She kept satring at the Tv looking for a center speaker. She kept saying the music just floats and dances in the room. Well at the End of July she was to begin the 8 trips in and out of the hospital.

During this time, I bought a hospital bed, wheel chair and other stuff. I also made her room surround also. I used the Jolida tube to power the Aeon i's and moved my Motif to her bed room. Picked up a pair of demo frescos from my dealer and a a sub. Used a Harman Kardon avr-325 to power the center and sides. Moved my hd-dvd player to her room and picked up a new denon dvd-2930ci for dvd-audio and sacd. I also picked up a lifting recliner for the front room and bought a New Stage and aanother set of script I's found an authorized dealer with a set of demos. So now the main room has the Vistas, stage, depthi and a pair of script i, cant run 7.1 since her lift recliner would interfere with placement. Her room complete and front room working good, she returns home. Ocober was hell, took my mom back to the hospital on October 8th her blood pressure was 215 over 130 and other issues. that night the Nad t-175 pre-amp died as if to protest mom leaving again. On Sunday morning October 12th at 9am my cell rings I see its my father calling i dont answer right away. I check my voice mail it its his niegbor using his cell. My father had a major stroke and was heading to the hospital paralyzed on the left side. I rush to the hospitalto see both my parents. They both were there unit November 13th, only difference being my mom came home once in that moth and went back. I ended up replacing the Nad pre-amp with a Marantz av8003. Love it for the price. wanted and anthem d2 but money is gone. I lost all my incone while both my parents were in the hospital. For no reason my income just stopped. I had to hire a lawyer to represent me with Social security and workmans comp. So basically I have no income since October 5th, and this started the fire sale of my loved audio gear. This hurt my mom so much, broke her heart. She looked at me and said dont you dare sell my Aeon I's, they are to beauthiful to sell.

Well I have managed to keep the front room intact and yes her room still has the Aeon I's. But sadly power by the Harman Kardon avr-325 with the M5 cd/sacd player for the source. I use the multi-channel in to get thhe best sound and be dirct from source since the Nad dac is better.

This brings me to my point. On christmas eve i laid in my moms hospital bed in her bedroom and put on Sarah Brighmans La Luna sacd. Yes it was played in 2 channel theu the aeon i's. I was Listing to the second track when it happened. I moved in the bed and something fanastic happened. We are all use to hearing the vocals floating dead center between the front speakers. But right then in my position the audio and vocals were coming from behind me. My position in th bed had her vovals soundling like she was sitting right above me on the headboard of the bed and nstruments all coming from the back wall. It wasd the most amazing thing. Why do i love Martin Logan, foget the sound, forget the wonderful design, that is a well know fact. I love martin Logans because in a world were tomorrow may never come, my last night with mom at home was spent watching her cry as she listened to her favorite artist coming out of what she considers to be the best speakers she has ever had or heard. Its not the model or the cost but how Martin logan affect each of its listeners. If I had to sell all my Martin Logan stuff right now I would be crushed, but yet so very thanksful for what they have brought to my life and especially my moms. I have decided I will never sell the AeonI's, no matter what. I have no children, no wife, my life has been a caregiver and even when my mom passes my care giving will be to my father.

I have decided to give my MOMs Aeon i's to a friend, whom I have never met but has been a true friend since the tornado hit our home back on2-5-08. Upon her passing i will personally deliver these to him and set the up for his enjoyment no strings attched. I know he will enjoy them as much as my mom did. I just have one christmas wish, that my mom awakens so I can talk to her one last time.

Thanks for letting me vent, I know I didnt cover much of my feelings about martin Logans, but for me there is no finer company around. They take care of their clients, treat you with respect no matter what you own. How much do i love my martin Logans, so much so i cover them when I dont use them, I sleep on the floor in the front room at night just to hear them one last time just incase tomorrow never comes. Everyday the astound me, warm my heart and bring tears to my eyes! This last 8 months since my first day with martin Logans in my home has been a dream. So to all you fellow Martin Logan owners, be you Montage owners or CLX owners, savior each day, for you truly own a speaker that few ever have the chance to experience. I think Sarah says it perfectly, This love is a strange Love. I hope everyoneone has a wonderfui holiday.
Sincerely, Michael J Mc Donald

Just want to send my love to my Step Sister jenny who Died 12-28-08 of Brain cancer, Miss you sis. And to Pooh, who died in my arms on 4-11-05 mom misses you and so do I!

That was wonderful, thank you for sharing. I am happy to hear you where able to share that passion for music with your mother. Especially seeing my family over Christmas, this story really brings you back to appreciate life.

Mike,
thanks for posting... I'm sure that it was hard for you to share that. This should be a reminder to all of us that life is so precious and we all should enjoy it to the fullest.

I am going to get a copy of that Sara Brightman CD and give it a listen. I've never heard her music before, but based on your post, I'd really like to hear it.

Mother's favourites

Hi Mike
Good to hear you valuing life's treasures. It is so important in this audio trail lest we seek the next upgrade before appreciating the present. I vslue that encouragement in this ML Club. My father was musical and loved Sibelius and Brahms whilst my mother's all time favourite Beatles song was Piggies on the White Album! Great pig noises for Hi Fi novelty.
Good to hear you extend your altruism beyond the family, too, good on ya!

May this new year bring health and prosperity to you.
what a great love of music and HIFI we all have here

Last edited:
Thankyou! More then you know! That was a most impressive post! Your mother is also an impressive person and knows quality I have never been into female vocals music, mostly intrumental. After reading your post, I looked up "Sarah Brightman", what an incredible voice, and accompanied buy an array of classical musicians, what fidelity. I just listen briefly to two albums, which I will buy, Diva: The Singles Collection-2006, and A winter syphony-2008. Hearing her sing 'silent Night", and "Amazing Grace", but what choked me up the most is hearing her sing, "Time To Say Goodbye", with Andrea Bocelli, and after reading your post. Wow, I am going to buy several of her albums and thank your wonderful Mom for me. She knows what sound best on MLs Thankyou! Incredible story, I really hope things will turn better for you and your family beginning this New Year! Guys, You have to hear her voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that we can inherit a passion for music form a parent, and of course through example, and the art of hifi. My father loved classical music and had a very good hifi way back in the seventies. I regret then that I did not have much interest in classical, and if I happened to wander in to his music room I would have to sit and listen, and at some point make an excuse to leave. Mind you from his collection I did like Chopin : Polonaise, and Mozart. My mother when she used to visit me here in London in the late eighties took an interest in my hifi, and enjoyed jazz, and classical. I had a pair of Stax headphones, cannot recall which model but one of the top range, and no loudspeakers! I had an LP : The Three Tenors / Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti, Mehta. I was using a Michell Gyro, SME series 4. Ortonfon cart the top one then.. She sat and listened and I could see tears, and she said "I will never hear anything like this again" She also enjoyed a bit of her old favourite Ole blue eyes.
Sometimes I wish that my father was still around as he would have loved my Martin Logans, and can just imagine him sitting there and listening to his favourite; Peer Gynt. My son is very much in to hifi and of course has inherited this from my self, and yes, he has a turntable and prefers vinyl to CD ( he is 19)
Last night we were listening to some vinyl on my system, and despite the fact that the speakers are now on cones we could detect feedback. Also when walking toward the hifi the cart picks up the footsteps. He went on e Bay and purchased a pair of marble plinths that will fit underneath the Quests, and hopefully resolve this problem.
When these arrive we will place them accordingly, and do this together, and then share a "critical session" together.
It is nice when family can share an interest in their hifi.

Great post, Mike. That was very moving.

I wonder if Tom could copy this to our friends at Martin Logan?

Erik

Great post, Mike. That was very moving.

I wonder if Tom could copy this to our friends at Martin Logan?

Erik

There is no reason to copy it. The folks at ML have undoubtedly read it already... They are lurking here all the time.

I just snagged a SACD copy of La Luna. It's coming from Hong Kong. Can't wait to hear it.

Update>>.

As I sit her this morning listening to some music and thinking about the future, I just want to thank everyone for the responses and concerns. It now has been a long, exhausting month of highs and lows. As of last night mom is out of the hospital and in a Hospice house. 2 emergency surgerys later she is bouncing back, but she isnt the same. It is amazing how our brain shuts down in times of trouble, hers is really acting up. Never in her life did she stutter, but now she does. You can her her frustration trying to get the words out. At times during the last month she didn't even know me and my heart broke. Then other times she would ask me if I had listen to any good music lately. I would laugh and say get your butt home so i can fire up some Michael Crawford and some Michael Ball for you. Her reply, I need sexy, give me Robbie Williams. I made the mistake of intoducing my mom to his music and now she craves him...lol Good to know that when we hit our middle 70's and in pro health we still think about "SEXY". I love my mom and it is breaking my heart to see her this way, but I seem to have gotten my christmas wish, I wished she would live and comeback home. Well she is half way there. She was so bad she gained 40 lbs of water weight in 5 days. She has had MS since 1982, meds destroyed her Kidneys and heart. Now we live day to day and at Kidney Dialysis. I told her, if you need to leave this world I understand, she looked at me and said do what you need to do. So we installed the shunt, put in a feeding tube and Kiidney Dialysis 14 days in a row to get her back. I told her people were buying Sarah because they wished her well and she said appreciated it. She told me to have all of you come over and have a listen.

I have made it thru this time, but as you know in this economy things arent cheap. I am selling our beloved stuff right and left to keep bills paid and medical bills. I sell one thing at a time, next to go is one of our TV's, I am busting my behind to keep the audio, we need music. I have sold parts of it and combined my two Martin Logan systems into one. Someone needs to talk to the >> Amp Gods <<, for us. Our power amp took a dump, 8 months old and she wont turn on unless you tape the front. It has a bad prtotection relay as far as I can tell. So back to using the Nad M25 , but its up for sale. My dealer said just send me the P5 and we will get something to you before she gets home.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and gets what they desire in the new year. Lve today for today because we may never get a Tomorrow.

Thans to everyone that replied and to anyone that read my post, and to those who sent prayers. Best Wishes to all! Mike :music:

There is no reason to copy it. The folks at ML have undoubtedly read it already... They are lurking here all the time.

I wonder what they really think of this site? a Martin Logan employee actually told me about it. he is no longer with the company very helpful fellow though he convinced me to upgrade to the stage center without hearing it

well I was asking about speaker position as I thought I had it wrong wich I did. the flashlight trick got brought up and he said you gotta go to the martinloganowners.com and check out some of the stuff on that site I asked what that was about and he replide just go to the site and see for yourself.recently I called to ask a ? about the CLX and asked for him and they said he was no longer with us.

Latest posts

Back