What is your Speaker/Amplifier combination?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambob2

Reaction score
So what is your speaker and amplifier combination? I realize this is similar to the member systems list of equipment, but I want to see responses as to what you think about your combination.

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?

4. Are you considering an upgrade, if so what?

Prior to my Martin Logan ReQuests, I owned a pair of Snell Type IIA's powered by a pair of Kenwood Mono Block SS amplifiers. These mono block amplifiers were Kenwood's penetration into higher end audio equipment and they faired pretty darn well! Mine were (and still are) the Kenwood L-05M mono blocks that are rated at 100 Watts each into an 8-ohm load.

Prior to the Snell's, I owned a pair of Ohm F's (with the infamous walsh driver). Rated at 4 ohms, the Ohm F's were powered by a Phase Linear 700B Amplifier that was rated at 350 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 700 watts per channel into the 4 ohm load of the Ohm F's...and I used all of it by the indication on the front panel meters!

You could say I believe in copious amounts of extra wattage back in those days and I am getting the itch for it once again. While the Kenwood’s can make my ML ReQuests produce a 90+ dB level from 10 feet, I do not want to push it any harder for long periods of time. I prefer to have more headroom and a larger power capacity...clean wattage. Right now I am auditioning a Pass Labs x250.5 (250/channel into 8 ohms) and will inquire about the Plinius line as a comparison.

I am just curious as to what you are using and what your thoughts are as to how you feel about the power and SPL you're getting from your system.

Sam

Sambob,

I was also considering the Pass Labs 250.5 for my Summits in my dedicated 2 channel system until the opportunity to purchase a very affordable ( $2K) mint pair of Aragon Palladium 1Ks came along. I've been told that ML has used Palladiums to demo from time to time at various shows. I don't care about that as much as how well I like the sound which is nothing short of amazing. The Pals run class A for the first 120 watts and then class a/b all the way up to 600wpc for the 4 ohm Summits. They have that definite effortless big amp sound, yet have plenty of finesse at low volumes and from my experience are much more linear than many amps out there such as the Parasound Halos.

I would recommend that anyone who can grab a good pair of Palladiums, do so, and team them with a good tube preamp to reach audio nirvana.

OBTW, I'm from your area originally...raised in West Orange and lived in Parsippany for many years, besides partying at Lake H on many occasions, I built a couple of award winning custom houses on the lake about 20 years ago!

Last edited:
Jerry,
Amazing, those Aragon's still have that same contemporary look as they did a long time ago...about twenty five years if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for your input...I never thought about them. Very good wattage numbers...I'll have to look into this more.

Jerry,
Amazing, those Aragon's still have that same contemporary look as they did a long time ago...about twenty five years if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for your input...I never thought about them. Very good wattage numbers...I'll have to look into this more.

I would look for a newer pair. Mine were made in 2004 and were used at the personal residence of a local Klipsch dealer for about 2 years. Before selling me them he sent them back to Klipsch to have them gone over and check out to be 100%. According to the Klipsch service tech, parts are still redily available and they intend to support them for at least 10 more years.

What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.
HT mains are Ascents and driven by a B&K AVR507 receiver.
What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...
The amp component is essentially the B&K REF 200, with high current, toroidal transformer, class A pre-driver, class AB MOSFET, 150W @ 8 ohms, and 185W @ 4 ohms.
Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?
It does a very good job for home theater, but is lacking a bit for 2-channel music. In particular, I believe the 4 ohm and less the MLs routinely play at is definitely lacking. However, this has to be a hybrid HT/Music system and although I listen to 2-channel music, the vast majority of the usage is still home theater.
Are you considering an upgrade, if so what?
My retirement present to myself (as of Jan 1) was a pair of used Summits. But nothings ever simple, as the B&K doesn't match well with the Summits. After a lot of auditioning I found I really liked how the Sunfire amps matched, and decided to pick up the TGA-7400. I also decided that now was time to replace the B&K, got a bundled price I couldn't refuse, and also got the Sunfire TGP-5 preamp. (This is really killing me, though. The Summits and Sunfires were delivered last week, but I won't be able work on the system until next week, now. That's two weeks they will have been sitting there, driving me nuts, because I can't listen to them yet! Sigh. :D )

Last edited:
Running a pair of Quests pushed by a Classe' CA150. Looking to go to a Mark Levinson 334. Don't think copious amounts of power are really necessary. A good 150 - 200 watts will suffice.

Ken,
I've seen some posts by people here that are very happy with the Sunfire and ML's. Hang in there...the waiting is the hardest part. Summits and Sunfire...it'll be good I'm sure!

Running ReQuests front and rear in a 5.3 configuration. Front mains are powered by Krell 650m's, rear channels powered by Krell 250m's, center channel is a Logos also with a 250m. Front speakers are paired with two Descent subs, rear channels blend into a single Descent (my Casablanca III allows for up to four independent subwoofers).
Prior to purchasing the 650m's I had used a pair of ASL Hurricanes up front, but sold them to finance the big Krells. The Hurricanes did not integrate well into a multi-channel system, but to this day I still miss their deep, open soundstage, and regret not keeping them for a secondary two-channel rig.

Tj

As you can see from my signature, I have been running Ascents with a Descent Sub, powered by a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 Tube Amp (140 watts per channel of glorious tube sound from a quartet of 6550's per channel). I bi-amp the Ascents with Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocs on the woofers (200 watts per channel, solid state), leaving the tubes to power the panels.

Obviously, this is a powerful combination. I have a room that is about 20' by 22' and has a vaulted ceiling, but I can easily play the speakers louder than I can stand for any length of time. But even at the lowest volume levels, the warmth and detail, the huge soundstage, are to die for. I am very happy with this combination. So why on earth would I want to upgrade?

Because Joeyitis is a potent addiction, an irresistable urge, a horrible cash-sucking disease. I could go on, but I think you get the point. So I have recently purchased Summits, Stage and Clarities to form the basis of a dedicated media room (home theater and hi fi two-channel listening room) which will go in our new house. I have yet to make any definite decisions on selecting Surround Processor, Amplification and two-channel Preamp for this system. I have decided not to use my tubes in this system, so I am considering some solid state designs that can deliver sound like I am used to getting out of my CJs. Sound familiar? When I actually figure it out and buy something, you all will be the first to know.

Tj, sent you an e-mail on the Descent setup you are using with your ReQuests.

Rich,
I remember reading about your move somewhere in one of these posts. Your Ascent system must sound great!

The upgrade thing is definitely a disease for sure...I'm so caught up in it I don't know what I want to purchase first...in fact I'm looking at amplification and a new CD transport or player. I may end up buying the player used, looking at a Cary 303/300 and the amp new.

Good luck with you selection of equipment for the new home!

Sambob -- Ohm Fs???? wow - that is going way back.... I used to go into this place called Tech HiFi when I was younger - and they would have the Ohm Fs paired with (picture guy with pony tail ) -'a killer piece man'. Usually a big ol' Kenwood/Marantz/Nikko receiver.

Anyway - my amp combo - Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature (I bi-amp my Odysseys with it) along with a Sunfire TGIII pre. I also picked up a descent recently. Anyway - I find the combo very nice with the logans. I think a very big soundstage with some warmth for the stats. KCL - why aren't you hooking that up again? KCL - I use voltage for the stats and the woofers. I ran current to the stats and voltage to the woofers for about a year - switched it - and decided I liked voltage better to the stats (I think better detail)...

Sambob -- Ohm Fs???? wow - that is going way back.... I used to go into this place called Tech HiFi when I was younger - and they would have the Ohm Fs paired with (picture guy with pony tail ) -'a killer piece man'. Usually a big ol' Kenwood/Marantz/Nikko receiver.

Dang Tim!!! That's exactly where I bought them along with the Phase Linear 700B Amplifier and Phase Linear 4000 Pre Amp. In fact I'm looking right at the preamp now...I don't use it anymore but it's a nice nostalgic piece Bob Carver invented a long time ago! I purchased these pieces in 1977! Did we bump into each other there? Sold the Ohm F's and the 700B A while back.

Sam

Dang Tim!!! That's exactly where I bought them along with the Phase Linear 700B Amplifier and Phase Linear 4000 Pre Amp. In fact I'm looking right at the preamp now...I don't use it anymore but it's a nice nostalgic piece Bob Carver invented a long time ago! I purchased these pieces in 1977! Did we bump into each other there? Sold the Ohm F's and the 700B A while back.

Sam

Tech HiFi used to run huge ads in the Sunday NY Times. I used to look foward to reading their large supplements. I guess we need a modern incarnation of those stores. Today's kids don't know what they're missing!
Anyway, to your question: My Summits are powered by an ARC Ref 110 tubed power amp. This is a class AB 110 wpc amp. IMHO, it is, by far, the best I have ever heard MLs sound. It puts to shame my former ARC power amp (an ARC VT 100 III.)

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.
Martin Logan Sequels (mains, and for 2-channel)
Martin Logan Logos (Center)
Rear--soon to pick up ML Stylos
Subwoofer--soon to purchase Sunfire True IV or EQ

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...
2 Carver M-500t's, which are some sort of modified Class D. (500 watts each into 8ohms, bridged mono, so I'm probably running them at around 900wpc into the 4ohm Sequels!)
Other amps to come after I get the rear speakers and a surround processor.

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?
Yes, but a set of Silver 7t or Silver 9t amps for the mains would make me much happier...

New amps for the mains.
New Surround processor (Looking at a Rotel RSP 1098).
New Turntable (considering the Thorens 2010, or maybe a used Oracle Delphi)

--Richard

All-tube front end

Am running my Aerius i's off a pair of Rogue M-150 monoblocks in the Triode setting (~100 watts). Since my room is on the smallish side (14'x17'x8') I have plenty of SPL's to spare. A few years ago I replaced the panels with the "Clear Spar" version.

Mains: Odysseys Center: Theater i Rears: Script i's Sub: Descent
B & K Reference 200.5
Solid Sate
Class A Pre-Driver
Class A/B Output
200 watts per channel at 8 Ohms
375 watts per channel at 4 Ohms
Happy with Amp when listening to surround
Could be better when listening to 2 channel

I've actually contemplated picking up a B & K Reference 200.2 so I can Bi-amp the main speakers that would give me 400 watts at 8 ohms and 750 watts at 4 Ohms to drive the mains.

Aeon's

Running a pair of Aeon's hooked up to an Adcom 5400 amp I bought from craigslist. The amp is rated at 200w into 4 ohms. Class A & A/B

At first I was worried that with such great speakers I'd need to upgrade to a more expensive amp - but it sounds terrific.

not that I wouldn't mind having some fancy tube amp...

Last edited:
1. ML Ascent for 2-channel
2. Classe Audio CP-500 pre and CA-2200 amp (200 watts @ 8 ohms, 400 watts @ 4 ohms) operated in balanced mode.
3. Excellent sound, especially after positioning the speakers according to the room acoustic
4. Considering upgrading the pre with a Cello Encore and possibly later on with Genesis 5.3 speakers

KCL - why aren't you hooking that up again?
My wife is handicapped, and the HT aspect of our system is her primary form of entertainment at home. When I work on it, I try and make sure its up by the evening for her movies and shows. Adding the Summits and Sunfires is fairly major, and will take a couple of days with that constraint. Thursday and Friday of this week was the plan, but something came up and its into next week, now.
KCL - I use voltage for the stats and the woofers. I ran current to the stats and voltage to the woofers for about a year - switched it - and decided I liked voltage better to the stats (I think better detail)...
Ok, possibly showing of ignorance here, but what do you mean by voltage vs. current?

So what is your speaker and amplifier combination?

I am just curious as to what you are using and what your thoughts are as to how you feel about the power and SPL you're getting from your system.

Sam

Sam, the SPL is dependent of one's room and sitting distance from the speakers... I fear that you won't get a good picture from our systems, without having data about the room (that's one of the reasons why I included a "room size" field in the member database). And your post is exactly the kind of posts I was hoping to help with the database, btw.

Anyway, here we go:

1) CLS II for HiFi, B&W CDM for HT
2) 250 wpc class D (PSAudio GCC250) for Hifi, 140 wpc class AB for HT (Yammy RX-V2700)
3) Yes, definitively happy.
4) No, sonic nirvana reached :)

Back