What is your listening distance?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

yogibear

I just got my Vantages a week ago. I'm still changing around the position of the speakers. I noticed that the sound changes considerably depending on how far I sit from it. What is your listening distance?

yogibear said:
I just got my Vantages a week ago. I'm still changing around the position of the speakers. I noticed that the sound changes considerably depending on how far I sit from it. What is your listening distance?

Welcome to the club!

Yes, most speakers will sound quite different depending on distance. What you are mostly hearing is the differences in room modes.

All rooms impart a ‘signature’ on the sound with the varying reverberations.

What is probably different for you is that the ML’s are dipoles, therefore they excite (there’s a cool word) many more modes than a regular speaker will, as the rear wave bounces off the rear and side walls.
It’s part of their magic, and part of the challenge in placement.

If you sit real close, you are mostly in the ‘near field’ of the front of the panel and will hear a less ‘reverberant’ sound. Further away, the comb filtering of the rear wave will be felt more. It’s a matter of taste and room geometry as to how far you should sit from yours.

So be careful with what you hear back on this thread. It all depends on room dimensions ….

However, there are guidelines you will hear that could be followed.

This would make a good "Poll" question as well...

yogibear said:
yogibear,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I used to watch your cartoon shows a lot when I was a kid, with your friend "Boo Boo"... :D Just kidding..., I really did watch Yogi Bear when I was a child though. Anyway, I digress...

My dedicated HT room is so small, I'm almost ashamed to say... :eek:
It's about 7 1/2 feet from my Ascent i's to the prime (center) sweet spot, listening seat of my HT. About 6 feet from the Ascent i's, in the side/end listening positions of my HT room. i look at it this way I 'm so close to all my speakers, I don't have to turn-up/stress-out the amplifier very much at all. It all sounds great though, but definitely near field listening. It's one of the reasons I used the corner to corner set-up for my small room. The greatest length is diagonally across, which lets me take full advantage of the negative space of my 12' x 11' HT room... :eek:

It's good to have you here. Good thread by-the-way. :D

I sit ten 10 feet from my speakers and try to keep a distance of 2 feet or more from my back wall. Too much reflection from the back wall can destroy your soundstage, dampening the wall behind your head can dramatically increase the sound of your system.

My MLs are 10 feet apart and 12 feet from the listenging position, which is 4 feet from the back wall. (There's a 106-inch projector screen in the middle, so I have to sit farther away.)

For music listening, I sometimes pulled the seat closer, though that would have created an equilateral triangle - nevertheless the music sounded richer.

Then recently I placed acoustic panels in the rear corners (I only had them at the front before) and that brought the music to my seat in a way I hadn't heard before.

It never ends, trying to get the best out of MLs...

My Vantages are 6' (inside edges) apart, 30" (outside edges) from the side walls, and 51" from the front walls. We listen about 9.5' away from the speakers and 30" from the back wall. I am still playing with toe in and tilt. Fairly small room about 15x12. Speakers are in front of short 12 ' wall due to unchangeable couch, door factors.

Joel

Last edited:
My Vantages are 33" from front of wall, 40" from side walls, 7'8" apart (center-to-center), listening position is 9.5-10' back

My speakers are 7' apart and 3' out from the front wall.

I sit 14' from the speakers at the prime position; the front row is at 10' from the speakers.

At 14', I'm 7' away from the rear wall, which has both a large quadratic diffuser and some absorption.

currently 3' 8" away from front wall,with apsorbtion panels directly behind them.
4'5" from side wall
just over 9' apart center to center toed in using the jim powers technique
listening position is 14' from speakers and 4'5" from the back wall

but it constantly changes always playing around with the placement

Approximately 4.5m from my ears to the front of the panel. The speakers are approximately 4m apart, and 0.5m from the rear wall. There is no wall behind the listening position as it opens out into a kitchen. It produces a wide and expansive lifelike soundstage, but with slight expense of precision.

My room is 14.5 feet by 31 feet with my Logan placed 36" from the back wall (to the front of the panel), 7.5 feet apart (center to center) and the listening position is 14 feet away from the speakers. This is the best position so far but still experimenting.

Musicman

Back