What hdmi cable would be best at around $100?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an hdmi cable under 100 bucks? I will go used.

I found the audioquest hdmi-x...any comments from users? Should I just get the hdmi-3? I wouldn't think that it could make that much difference between the two?

If I am buying the cable, I would at least like to get an obvious improvement in the picture, so I dont want to skimp too much.

Thanks,
Dominick

i dont know the price but tara labs makes the best hdmi i have seen

I hesitate to ask, but as a computer engineer I must...

Is the premise of this thread that "high-end" HDMI cables have better picture quality than "low-end" HDMI cables? In other words, beyond obvious bitstream errors like entire frame-drops, freezes, or garbled/sparkly images, do you expect better detail and/or color accuracy from different HDMI cables?

i am not sure what to expect which is why i am asking...Is there no justification for the high end hdmi with the upgraded price?

Dominick

I have the belief that a good hdmi cable is just a good hdmi cable. So get a Monoprice and save a ton of money. They have 1.3 versions as well. Which is also just a cable like 1.1; they just are "rated" or guaranteed a certain bandwidth. Take the saved money and upgrade your source if you want. Or some new dvd's.

Yikes. I am so going to regret getting involved in a potentially neo-religious subject like "high-end" HDMI cables. Oh well...

As everyone else has said, you will either see grotesque artifacts like sparkles (bad pixels), freezes, and dropped-frames OR the picture will be identical for any HDMI cable of reasonable length. Different HDMI cables will not create subtle, quasi-subjective refinements like better detail or black levels.

Speaking both as a computer engineer who is currently studying the HDMI specs (I've written protocol analyzer software for high-speed serial buses like USB) and as a nutty audiophile who uses "high-end" speaker wire from Transparent, I can state without reservation that all HDMI cables which have passed HDMI certification and can legally display the HDMI Licensing logo will not affect picture quality regardless of price. I am dismayed that nearly every cable company (including Transparent) has jumped on the "our HDMI is best" snake-oil bandwagon. HDMI cables are just as boring as USB and FireWire cables.

The only qualifiers I must add concern A) longer cables where adequate shielding might eliminate the need for a repeater and B) new HDMI standards (specifically 1.3) which support features demanding more data flow (such as 12-bpp color and uncompressed, multi-channel audio).

There are only two types of HDMI cable defined in the latest specs: "Category 1" cables supports data rates up to 75 MHz while "Category 2" cables support up to 340 MHz. The 75 MHz data-rate supports 1080i HDTV with compressed audio. I suspect "Category 1" cables also support 1080p without audio, but I haven't run the numbers. To use all the features of 1.3 spec, "Category 2" cables must be used.

Unlike USB, there is no maximum cable length defined in the HDMI specs, but physics dictates that longer cables can't support faster data rates. So I suspect "Category 2" cables will always be less than 15 to 20 feet.

I ran two 36-foot lengths of Liberty HDMI cables from my cabinets to my Panny plasma for $140 per cable ($3.89 US per foot). These cables are very well made, are CL2 rated for in-wall use, and supposedly support up to 1080p at up to 50 feet (which I find astounding). Since my older Panny only supports up to 1080i, I've not had a chance to test the higher data rate myself. Regardless, my dual 36-foot runs have been flawless at 1080i with all HDMI sources I've used. These include a RadioShack OTA HD tuner, two el-cheapo $80 upscaling DVD players, and a Sony BDP-300 BlueRay player.

Last edited:
sorry but if i say that i agree with you it's like i say that i am blind...There is a huge difference in black levels and detail...Try them and then you can talk ;)

Dominick22,

Go with the monoprice cables, they work great and avoid the "snake oil" mentality that you have to spend a lot of money to get a great looking/sounding cable. The older I get the more absurd some of these theories are in regards to cables.

Cleon,

How was your comparison done? Did you use the same source with both cables running hot at the same time or did you view,stop, change and compare again? Just curious. I saw a big difference between component and HDMI but comparing HDMI to HDMI no difference. I have to add I'm using a 25ft to my projector and two 6ft lengths from sources to the HDMI switcher. What size screen are you using?

HDMI cable shootout Part-2

HDMI cable shootout Part-3

sorry but if i say that i agree with you it's like i say that i am blind...There is a huge difference in black levels and detail...Try them and then you can talk ;)

After my earlier response in this thread, I got a PM asking my opinion regarding digital audio cables (coax vs. optical).

I hope it's quite clear to everyone that the simple coax and TosLink SPDIF outputs on the back of a CD/DVD player have as much in common with HDMI technology as a caveman painting has with the Mona Lisa. Yes, both art-works are "paintings" while SPDIF and HDMI both are "digital", but that's where any similarity ends. HDMI, USB, FireWire, and the new eSATA bus use extremely advanced technology to ensure that all bits arrive exactly how they were sent. And they all work unbelievably well.

Digital is not forgiving like an analog system. One wrong bit out of billions may give you one, unnoticable yellow pixel on screen which was supposed to be blue. Or it may corrupt the entire frame. If errors occur while the pixel data is streamed, they will also occur in the header and checksum information. Errors in the header information before each video frame or each line causes the grotesque errors I mentioned earlier.

We don't shop for "boutique" USB or FireWire cables for the exact same reason we shouldn't adopt "boutique" HDMI cables. I don't worry about losing bits as I drag files onto my USB drive, and I don't worry that my HDMI cables are affecting the PQ of my plasma. I just wish I could afford a 70-inch plasma running 1080p.

Back