What did I get myself into?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
I have been reading this group and must admit that it is very intimidating. The photos make your homes appear more fun than DisneyWorld.

I recently added a cinema i (USD 998 off the floor @ Tweeters) to my aeon i's. However, I am concerned that my 85 watt @ 8 ohms Yamaha 5.1 may not be doing it justice. The mains are powered by a 350 watt/channel Carver and need to be dropped by 10 dB to match the output of the center (an option in the receiver).

I am considering adding an amp to power the center. However, after spending all that on the cinema i, I cannot afford much more right now.

I am considering a Audio Source amp100 for about $100. It can be bridged to deliver about 160 watts at 6 ohms, which is the resistance of the cinema i. After reading about the type of equipment in this group, I am wondering if the amp100 is practical. Am I undermining the cinema i with such an addition?

I must admit, it sounds very nice with the Yamaha. Still, I suspect that it will sound better with sufficient power. Clearly, spending thousands can't hurt, but do you think that hooking up a cheap audio source will do more harm than good?

Thanks for any input you care to share.

What you'll read on this forum or any other audio or A/V forum is to audition the peice you're considering buying in your system. Usually this is in conjunction with a dealer that will allow this. I suspect that you would need to purchase the amp you're considering buying outright, and return it if you don't like it.
Personally, I would ask about their return policy: If their policy is "You don't like it, return it", I would try it and return if I didn't like it. If it's "We'll take it back if it's defective" then your personal ethics come into the equation if it works but you don't like it.
Another thing to remember (and I think many of us forget more often than we'd like to admit) is that if it sounds good to you, it is good.

I am glad this question came up, I was wondering about a similiar situation.
When I get my X-250 (at 4 ohms) hooked up to my mains, I was wondering if I will then need an amp for the KEF center.
I was thinking of checking Audiogon for an inexpensive Parasound mono.
I will let you know how that goes.

Lee

Thanks for the Audiogon connection. What a Site; i saw a Krell for $30,000! I am fairly new to this and have to adjust to the possibilities. This site is amazing with the equipment photos, and here I am asking advice on a $100 amp. :eek:

Back