What CD player do you own?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am in need of a a CD player to complete my system.

For the last few years I've been using a DVD player, 2 years ago got a set of ReQuests and 2 months ago I got the PrimaLuna One tube intergrated.

I was wondering what you guys have used with success (and at what price?). I'm looking for one that has mellow/soft sound attributes w/o harshness. If possible, but not necessary, I would like to get one that is black and has a remote volume control. Any ideas?

Peter,
I may get blasted for this but I would look at the Rotel CDP 1072. I know it comes in silver, cause that is what I have but I believe it also is available in black. Now having said that and ducking as things may be flung in my direction, :eek: look at their website and seek out the reviews on this before you say no. It has a remote and I believe the list price is $699.00 USD. For the money, it is hard to beat. Are there other players out there that are better, yes, but how much are you willing to spend?
I have had my player for a little over a year. Initially Rotel had a lot of trouble keeping up with the demand because it was such a great value for the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck and if you need any other info on this let me know

Jeff

Peter, I know what CD player you need!
You must listen to a Meridian 508.24. It is effortlessly detailed, has outstanding bass, and is as sweet and smooth as Sauternes. You can find one used on Audiogon for around $1,500, and is very difficult to beat at 4x the price. 100% digititus-free.

Sky Saw said:
You must listen to a Meridian 508.24. It is effortlessly detailed, has outstanding bass, and is as sweet and smooth as Sauternes. You can find one used on Audiogon for around $1,500, and is very difficult to beat at 4x the price. 100% digititus-free.

I couldn't agree more! I use a slightly later model Meridian (588 / 596) and the results are truly fabulous. These players work really well with ML speakers.

Cheers,

David

Non-oversampling, non-upsampling

Peter_Klim said:
I'm looking for one that has mellow/soft sound attributes w/o harshness. If possible, but not necessary, I would like to get one that is black and has a remote volume control. Any ideas?
Sounds like the non-oversampling machines should be on your list to audition. SoundStage had a glowing review of the Stello DAC/Preamp which include the remote control that you'd asked for. Mating this DAC/preamp with a decent Meridian 500 transport and you'll have a killer system, approximating the ARC CD3 battleship. Another good CD player is the Cary 303 and 308 players which have analogue output stage and remote volume control.

Spike

I have a Rotel 991, I love the sound.
I have had this player for over 5 years now, and have no reason to upgrade,
Yet :D

My previous player was a Rotel 965BX LE, it is now doing duty in the study, Still love the sound of the 965 as well.

Cheers
Steve

I use a transport (CD-3) and let the processor (SP1.7) handle all the decoding from R-DAT bitstream to two channel.

nice upgrade path. i can upgrade the transport, or i can insert a DAC.

Jeff Zaret said:
Peter,
I may get blasted for this but I would look at the Rotel CDP 1072. I know it comes in silver, cause that is what I have but I believe it also is available in black. Now having said that and ducking as things may be flung in my direction, :eek: look at their website and seek out the reviews on this before you say no. It has a remote and I believe the list price is $699.00 USD. For the money, it is hard to beat. Are there other players out there that are better, yes, but how much are you willing to spend?
I have had my player for a little over a year. Initially Rotel had a lot of trouble keeping up with the demand because it was such a great value for the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck and if you need any other info on this let me know

Jeff

I second the 1072. I picked up a lightly used one on audiogon recently for $450. It is more smooth and detailed than the Sony DVD player I had been using. For the money, it's hard to beat.

Although from the description of your equipment, you may want to go higher end. Just depends on your budget.

Here's my penny and a half worth !! I have a Marantz SA-14. Built like a tank and plays redbook CD's and SACD's very well !!, to me.

zaphod said:
I use a transport (CD-3) and let the processor (SP1.7) handle all the decoding from R-DAT bitstream to two channel.

nice upgrade path. i can upgrade the transport, or i can insert a DAC.

in regards to using a cd player as a transport, how critical is this choice? more specifically, if you have a really good dac or pre/pro, is it really necessary to have a $1k and up cd player when it is only being used as a transpaort?

Anthony A. said:
in regards to using a cd player as a transport, how critical is this choice? more specifically, if you have a really good dac or pre/pro, is it really necessary to have a $1k and up cd player when it is only being used as a transpaort?

definately. i did some tests between my CD transport, LD and DVD all being processed by the same unit.

the CD won out, hands down.

Peter,

Your Requests deserve the best front end you can source. While not being the only option open to you, I would strongly recommend you audition models from Wadia. They're black.........they have remote volume.........and sound superb. While the better models might have stratospheric price tags, they can often be sourced secondhand at more earthbound prices.

Try the models 6, 16 or 850/860 if you can.

I agree with Jeff Zaret. Rotel. I have the 1070, i think he mentioned 1072. I think they are good value for money.If you are using a DAC it is just transport.

Hi,
I like the LUXMAN players. They are currently only available on the japanese
market, but there is a company names Audio Cubes which you can find in the
web. For more informations on this players look at www.luxman.org where you
can find english infos.
Another exellent joice is ESOTERIC (www.teac.co.jp) . They are producing very
high quality CD- and Universal players.
Good luck, Frank

Sky Saw said:
Agree on this for what you are looking for, mellow and soft sounding.
I chose California Audio Lab Delta transport and Alpha DAC over the Meridian 508.24 because the CAL combo sounded more lively while a bit harsher. The 508 sounded too "polite", for me.

Haven't heard the new G08, the 508 replacement. And don't know where CAL is anymore...

I know you can find better CDs for more money, but I've found my Kinergetics KCD 40 that I picked up used for $300 and had reconditioned for another $100, beats a lot of new high end players.

If you do you homework, you can pickup some better used gear than you could ever find new at the same price.

If you've got the money, spend it on a top of the line new CD player, but otherwise do your homework. It's really worth it.

Nick

Erictrostatic said:
Agree on this for what you are looking for, mellow and soft sounding.
I chose California Audio Lab Delta transport

I could be wrong about the model, but the Cal Audio is very much like the old Kinergetics KCD20 with the great soft op-amps. It's a great sounding CD player, but you need to be very careful about the older CD players of the late 80s early 90s, because the transports are starting to go.

Nick

Back