What box speakers could accompany ML satisfactorily in a HT set-up?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andre

I know that the ideal is to have MLs all around in a HT set up. However, budget not permitting, what box monitor speakers would suffice in a HT set up? I plan to use Aerius i's as the front (left and right) as my main audio set up and add center and rears in a HT set-up. (Combined use audio and HT). On that note, anybody can recommend a good HT processor to be used in my audio-cum-HT set-up?
Heard sometime ago that bookshelf speakers which are transparent, such as ProAc Tablettes, would do fine?
Cheers....
Andre

Audio set-up: Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD player, Panasonic S-47 DVD-Audio/Video player, Benchmark DAC-1, Audio Research SP-14, McCormack DNA 0.5, ML Aerius i, TrippLite LC2000 power conditioner.

Andre said:
I know that the ideal is to have MLs all around in a HT set up. However, budget not permitting, what box monitor speakers would suffice in a HT set up? I plan to use Aerius i's as the front (left and right) as my main audio set up and add center and rears in a HT set-up. (Combined use audio and HT). On that note, anybody can recommend a good HT processor to be used in my audio-cum-HT set-up?
Heard sometime ago that bookshelf speakers which are transparent, such as ProAc Tablettes, would do fine?
Cheers....
Andre

Audio set-up: Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD player, Panasonic S-47 DVD-Audio/Video player, Benchmark DAC-1, Audio Research SP-14, McCormack DNA 0.5, ML Aerius i, TrippLite LC2000 power conditioner.

Hola...if you are going to not to use electrostatic speakers, the ATF tech. is the closest and also dipolar operation. Try the Fresco or the Vignette, very good sound and not so expensive as electrostatic. Hope this can help and happy listening. Remember, trust your ears, not specs!.
Cheers,
Roberto.

I think the closest speaker you’re going to find to match a ML electrostat’s is there ATF speakers. We have had different members try different box speakers with Martin Logan with good results but nothing seams to mach an electrostat like an electrostat.

I have had good results with Polk Audio’s RT series of speakers as surrounds; there LSi series would be a better match if there not too far out of your price range.

What’s your budget on separates? Outlaw audio is a good place to start for separates on a budget. Rotel, Sunfire, & Anthem are also a good place to start.

Take Care

What is ATF speakers? I have not heard of them, and am not well updated on new products....
My budget for a HT processor would be around $500. I have other amps such as Bedini, Rotel and Audio Analogue, as well as the VTL 225s.

Andre said:
What is ATF speakers? I have not heard of them, and am not well updated on new products....
My budget for a HT processor would be around $500. I have other amps such as Bedini, Rotel and Audio Analogue, as well as the VTL 225s.

Advanced Thin Film Transducers, ATF. It basically works just like electrostatic speakers only on a smaller scale so it can be produced cheaper. Take a look at Martin Logan’s Mosaic, Montage, Fresco and Vignette speakers.

$500.00, Ouch, It sounds like your best bet will be the used market. Check out www.audiogon.com if you have not already.

Thanks. I have been an audio maniac for all this while, and this is my first venture into HT. Geez, guess $500 may not suffice, huh? I did venture in Audiogon, and it does seem that my budget is a little low. Maybe $1000 would bring me into the high end level of used processors.
BTW, what's the current technology up to?
What are the differences between Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-EX, THX, DVI, HDMI etc...etc?? Too much jargon for me.
Andre

Andre said:
Thanks. I have been an audio maniac for all this while, and this is my first venture into HT. Geez, guess $500 may not suffice, huh? I did venture in Audiogon, and it does seem that my budget is a little low. Maybe $1000 would bring me into the high end level of used processors.
BTW, what's the current technology up to?
What are the differences between Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-EX, THX, DVI, HDMI etc...etc?? Too much jargon for me.
Andre

You should audition some pre-amps first and see what you like and just how much machine you need. Some people don’t need the very best HT processor to be happy, unlike my poor broke unhappy self that has to have the very best. :D

Dolby Digital is a 5.1 discreet format.
Dolby Digital EX is 6.1 with a matrix’ed six channel.
Pro-Logic matrixes any stereo source into surround sound.
Pro-Logic II will matrix any stereo source into 5.1
Pro-logic IIx will matrix any stereo source into 6.1
DTS is a 5.1 discreet format that uses less compression for a fuller sound.
DTS-ES is a 6.1 discreet format.

THX is used in conjunction with any format for that THX theater certified sound.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD will be the 7.1 standard for Hi-Def DVD when it arrives early to mid 2006.

DVI (digital video interface) and HDMI (Hi Definition multimedia interface) Is a pure digital interface, the only difference in the two is the plug’s, and HDMI can also transmit audio threw the same cable as video, DVI can only send video.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
...........and just to irritate everyone HDMI, currently at rev 1.1 (?) will be changing to 1.2 and then proably quickly to 1.3 in the near future. The difference will be the HDMI will be able to "carry" high def audio signals from the source, I.E Blue Ray or HD DVD. What this means is, if you one have one of first iterations of HDMI it will become obsolete. :eek:

Also to thorugh more gas on the fire, for those who have high def cable or satellite boxes they will also become obsolete in the very near future. This near future will be some time next year. :eek: Companies like DirecTv will be changing their broadcast technology from MPeg2 to MPeg4. What this means for them and us is the ability to transmit and receive more high def channels. It also enables these companies to broadcast more channels ( and have more satellites) within their given broadcast freqeuncy limits. The bad news is the current high def "boxes" are not compatible with MPeg4 and will either be offered an upgrade or have to purchase new boxes. :(

I for one have been waiting so I do not get caught with more obsolesence than I already have.

Jeff :cool:

Very true, Jeff.

HDMI ver.1.2 is making it way into consumer products now, and any receiver or pre-amp with ver.1.1 and up SHOULD work fine with HD-DVD. But as usual there are rumors of a new connector coming out within the next one to two years that will one up HDMI and become the new standard. This new connector is unnamed at this point and is suppose to be backwards compatible with DVI and HDMI. :rolleyes:

Joe,
I hope it is backward compatible. :eek:

I do have a thought and it is one think to think about. If you are "moving" audio through the HDMI cable is it digital or analog. If I play devils advocate and say digital then it has been changed from the original analog to digital and then converted again back to analog. To me there is more possiblilty of error, noise or change with the conversion and I may just want to keep the signal analog all the way. Maybe a bit anal and a purist.:D

Just an opinion and speculation

Jeff :cool:

Thank you Joe for highlighting all the HT jargons.
Whoopy! What to get now? BTW, are the DVD-videos encoded mainly in Dolby Digital or DTS? I guess that the discreet format would be the best (pure and original) format. However, are they now mostly encoded in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channels? I would think that 5.1 would suffice for me as my room is not too big. (BTW 6.1 means front: left+centre+right and rear:left+centre+right andsubwoofer??)

Cheers..
Andre

I was using B&O Beovox RL6000 speakers for the rear, less of a boxy sound than other speakers. The center speaker is where I failed hard (Yamaha), my dark pro-logic past.

64_s.jpg

Use stats all the way around if you are serious about the HT thing.

Has anyone hooked up Monsoon computer speakers before?
son_monsoon4.jpg

Latest posts

Back