What are your long term audio plans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
What are your long term audio plans?

Within 1 year:

Speakers: The Martin Logan Vantage are a dream to own.... almost surreal at times! I guess I'm just waiting on my Maple Vantages to arrive at the dealer so I can do a swap.

Amp: The Rotel RB1070 is powering the ML Vantage very well... however, I know there's better out there. Looking to get the RB1090 or a Krell Integrated (sell off both the RB1070 and RC1070 preamp) sometime this year before Christmas time.

Chair: I need a better chair, period. Looking for a leather chair to become my mainstay Listening Chair. Plastic chairs and an ML Vantage dont mix.

Within 5 years:

Speakers: Hopefully by this time, I'll be a resident at some hospital and almost done... I'll be able to afford to upgrade the speakers. At this time, it will be a tossup between the NEW Vantage-replacement or the Summit-replacement. I'm for sure not going to spend more than $10K on speakers.

Amp: If I have the RB1090 or the Krell Integrated, I'll remain a happy man... wouldnt need to upgrade. Ok, maybe Classe.

Within 10 years:

It's hard to say where I'll be at this point in time. However, I'm thinking that I really want my own listening room - probably in the basement with a decently large room (20x15 or so) and have proper room acoustics set up. I would really like to stay with Logans and will probably do my best to get the best Logan has to offer (like whichever are the Summits at that time)... of course, NO statement e2s... that's just craaazy. I'll try to budget around $5K for amps and another $5K for preamps, transports (dacs), and source. Will I go vinyl? I dont know.

Would try my best to keep the 2channel setup under $20K.

As for HT, I will settle for some lesser speakers. Perhaps something from Klipsch and a sub or 2 in the family room... nothing super special. Dont want to spend much over $5K in this setup.

All this is just a vague "wishlist".... hopefully things turn out OK for me and one day I'll be able to achieve some of these audio goals of mine.

Well.. that's all for now.

Post yours! :)
Joey

Last edited:
Long term plans for me are very basic. Kids are starting to go to college, so most if not all $$$ is going to them. So this means what I currently own has to last for the next 4-6 years.

Lately, I have been able to purchase things (IC's) by selling off stuff that I do not use, which then gets replaced by something I like better for almost the same cost (Fruegal Purchases). Lately, I sold off my DAC and an IC and will use the money to modify my CD/SACD player resulting in better sound with no extra out-of-pocket money required. This agrees with the "wife accountant" 100%

So the sysetm I have now, is my long term plan :) And what I do own, I really like the sound I achieve with it. I can just sit back and thoroughly enjoy the music these days. At times, even I am in awe of what I have.

Dan

My Once and Future Plans...

Joey,

Well, lets see...

My one year plan:
To acquire a new Blue-Ray player. Start saving for a Anthem D2 or D3 Processor and a Shanling T200 tubed SACD player with Bendix Red Bank Tubes. :)

Five year plan:
Actually purchase a Anthem D2 or D3 Processor and a Shanling T200 tubed SACD player with Bendix Red Bank Tubes. :D

Ten year plan:
Purchase two beautiful sounding Mono Block amplifiers, for my front speakers and two channel listening. Purchase a excellent condition used Xstat Statement E2x speakers or the top of the line under that Summit-like speakers. Up grade all my interconnects and speaker cables to top quality for my ears. Put together a new dedicated HT room (28'x24'x10) at my retirement house on Camano Island, WA. with two tier recliner seating. Possibly purchase more surround ML speakers and another Descent for a 10.2 system... :D

Sometime this year.

Get a decent center channel. Probably a Theater i. Still lurking at audiogon for one that fits my price range.

Next 3 years.

Get a decent pre/pro, amp combo. One that has potential to last at least 10 years. Also get a Blu-Ray player. This will probably be a PS3.

After 5 years.

New speakers all around! Probably used vantages and frescos.

within 1 year -
pair of ascent's or ascent i's

i have no long term goals yet - probably just look at your guys systems and eventually spend the dollas

Robin said:
Purchase a excellent condition used Xstat Statement E2x speakers...:D

Geez... you dont beat around the bush do you, Robin?

Wow... now THATS a damn good goal. ;)

Joey_V said:
Geez... you dont beat around the bush do you, Robin?

Wow... now THATS a damn good goal. ;)

Only $30,000 for a used pair and they too can be yours. :D

Last edited:
Within 1 year.
Get a Blu-Ray player (If you did not see that coming I can't help you. :D)
Make the jump to front projection.
PS3

Within 3 years.
Upgrade my Amp.
Summits or Vantage, maybe both.

Within 5 years.
I would tell you but then I would have to kill you.

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
Within 1 year.
Get a Blu-Ray player (If you did not see that coming I can't help you. :D)
Make the jump to front projection.
PS3.
I'd like to get a PS3 too!

Zip3kx07 said:
Within 3 years.
Summits or Vantage, maybe both.
BOTH? Wow.... that would be a sick setup. Get maple, lol!
Zip3kx07 said:
Within 5 years.
I would tell you but then I would have to kill you.
YIKES!

Joey_V said:
I'd like to get a PS3 too!

BOTH? Wow.... that would be a sick setup. Get maple, lol!

YIKES!

I will also be getting a Nintendo revolution.

I would kill for a pair of summits right now, hell even the Clairitys would be grate. but we will see.

Zip3kx07 said:
hell even the Clairitys would be grate. but we will see.

I thought your HT setup was complete? Why do you need the Claritys? Is it for a second rig?

Joey_V said:
I thought your HT setup was complete? Why do you need the Claritys? Is it for a second rig?

No, I sold my Scripts about 6 months ago, I still need to replace them. With what I dont know? Hummmm....

It's times like these that I hate being a poor, starving artist. :(

Last edited:
Amps Conrad Johnson Act2 & Premier 350
Turntable SME 30/2A (inc V tonearm) & Lyra Titan cartrige
Speakers Summits or Vantages if house fails to expand any ;)

But as an aside Joey, since you've climbed so far so fast (seems not so long ago we were "The Mosaic fanclub" and mine resolutely ain't turning into Vantages whatever I incant over them (bank manager got a "stop spell" in first I reckon), how about adding another source - ie a Turntable, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at what they can do! And theres a whole lot more great music on vinyl than ever made it to the hi-res formats (and since vinyl extends up into the bat frequencies, its pretty hi-res in itsself!)
Just my 2 cents as it were
Regards
Magoo

Hi all,

this year I'll add a Jadis JS2 mkII and upgrade my speaker cables to Kimber KS3033.

Patrick

Spike said:
SoundLabs electrostatics driven by Canary Ref monoblocs
I have heard SoundLabs and they are excellent speakers - if you have the room for them :D Did you forget to add the custom built dedicated room for your SoundLabs so they fit :) Canary gets a lot of great talk about them but have yet to hear them.

Nice dream and plan...

Dan

I'll start with the 1 - 3 year plan, which will include a Nottingham Hyperspace turntable, a Shannling tubed SACD player (if I can ever find one to listen to), and an HD DVD system in whichever format wins.

Then I skip to the 10+ year plan where I introduce true two channel listening starting with one or a pair of McIntosh MC2102 Tube Amps (depending on speadker demands) coupled with their C1000 preamp. Speakers would be at least Summit-level but less than Statements. Of course, this is predicated upon being able to have a dedicated listening room.

Well like everyone else I anxiously await the HD DVD players. After reading the off topic thread on the new players I may need a new receiver or upgrade to take full advantage the sound options. I hope they will play DVD-A and SACD or that will be on the list also.

My main money sucking project will be to finish my home theater room this year.

A newer projector will probably follow next year.

I hope to be good for quit some time after the projector upgrade. The income to hobby ratio is not in my favor and the other hobbies are calling.

Within 1 year:

A pair of used Classe CAM 350's

Within 5 years:

Prodigy's or Summit's
A new front projector.

Jimbo

Latest posts

Back