What are your long term audio plans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
I have heard SoundLabs and they are excellent speakers - if you have the room for them :D Did you forget to add the custom built dedicated room for your SoundLabs so they fit :) Canary gets a lot of great talk about them but have yet to hear them.
I have conveniently omitted the house purchase for now! I'm still calculating the raw cost of the SoundLabs ($30k+), Canary Ref One ($20k+) plus the stashing some $$$ into some investment account for cover for the cost of retubing 16 300B tubes every couple of years @ $600+ per tube! Ouch! That's why this is (and shall remain for a long time) a...dream!

Spike

Dream a little dream...

Joey_V said:
Geez... you dont beat around the bush do you, Robin?

Wow... now THATS a damn good goal. ;)
Joey,

I've always loved the look style and logic of ML Statement E2 speakers. But with the added improvement of the Xstat pannels which the new ML's sport I can hardly resist. The Statement E2X's must be totally awesome... I just wish, I had $30,000.00 (USD) and I would rent a U-haul and pick those babies up..., well maybe with a lot of male muscle assistance, as I hear they weigh about a ton. Who knows in ten years I think my dreams could come true... :p I just love the E2X's... :D

Joey, your Vantage (maple) dreams and now your reality are inspiring to me. If you can make your dreams come true with your Vantages, I can make my Statement E2X dreams come true someday too, I hope... ;)

Hopefully, Summit's this summer. Next year or the year after arc monoblocks. A blu Ray player the moment I find one!

I have a Benchmark DAC1 on order, hoping it'll arrive by end of Jan. Near term, need to finish ripping all my CD's to FLAC, completing my full conversion to PC-Audio. Contemplating a pair of Vantages by end of 2006.

Longer term (1-2 years?), *hope* to convince my wife to part with our monstrous RPTV wall unit, and convert to either wall mounted plasma, or HD projector system, thereby improving 2 channel audio imaging, while stepping up to full HDTV. "Honey, can we? Please? Just think how great Oprah will look in high-def!"

tonyc said:
Hopefully, Summit's this summer. Next year or the year after arc monoblocks. A blu Ray player the moment I find one!

First Blu-Ray player out looks to be Samsungs in early April.

Robin said:
Joey, your Vantage (maple) dreams and now your reality are inspiring to me. If you can make your dreams come true with your Vantages, I can make my Statement E2X dreams come true someday too, I hope... ;)

Thanks Robin.... you're very inspiring to me too. Your HT is crazy but you made it work and that tells me that there are possibilities for me. I wish you had a bigger room so you could hear what your speakers could really muster. How many more years before the new place? It's sooner and sooner each day, Robin!

Only six more years...

Joey_V said:
Thanks Robin.... you're very inspiring to me too. Your HT is crazy but you made it work and that tells me that there are possibilities for me. I wish you had a bigger room so you could hear what your speakers could really muster. How many more years before the new place? It's sooner and sooner each day, Robin!
Joey,

I appreciate the kind words. Yes, retirement is not that far away. I'll have to put a total of three children through college between now and then. Realistically, I probably won't have too much money for very much audio, but I love to dream and lust after great audio gear, I would love to own. Who knows though really. I am happy with my system and I will make due for the next six years. Plus, I love hearing guys like you making your dreams come true. Your 'Maple' Vantages will be awesome in your system. Thank you for including us in your audio adventure, your photo's are really great. I means a lot to us (me) for the ML Club too... ;)

Your ears will be in Vantage Xstat heaven.

I want to build my own artistic wood plinth for a custom turntable using Tenes mechanicals and perhaps a carbon fiber tonearm from Wilson Benesch.

I want to pick up and have refirburshed an old Scott tube tuner (real stereo not multi-plex).

Very long term, I want to build my own house with a dedicated listening room.

After the room, I could pick up another SE-100 Goldentube amp and bridge them to mono. I then could have a corner for an antique phonograph with stand - just for contrast and conversation. Perhaps it would play 78's or Edison cylinders and not just be a dust collector.

It might be cool to have an old "reel to reel" on the wall - hey this room is really starting to fill up, need a bigger room, need larger speakers, need biggger and bigger amps - willl it ever stop? :D

Could I end up like this guy?

http://reel2reeltexas.com/PPIMuseum.html

Last edited:
Ah, fantasy, this is a fun one ;)

Realistically, my plans are as follows:

Investigate a more powerful center channel solution. I have tons of space behind a perforated screen, so I can go crazy, and I probably will with a custom creation combining the panel(s) from an SL3 pair along with a 5’ line array of 5.25 to 7” mid-woofers. Will build my own PC based crossover and DRC / EQ solution just for this ‘speaker’. See thread on building this at DIY Audio forums.

Upgrade from my Meridian 568 to a G68 so I can do 7.1 room correction on top of the speaker processing I already have.

Add both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players this year. Add HDMI input to Sony G70 projector or get Video Processor that takes HDMI in and supplies Component out.

Replace PS2 with PS3 whenever Gran Turismo is released for PS3.

Add Xbox 360 whenever someone makes a Force Feedback steering wheel for it and when Forza Motorsports is updated.

Upgrade panels on Sequels and Monoliths.

Bi-Amp the Sequels (I have an Adcom GFA555 (200W/ch) just sitting around waiting to power the woofers. Oh, and either update the woofers in the Sequels or build woofer / mid bass line arrays for them.

Continue to tune room acoustics.

That should keep me occupied (and consume spare cash) for about 24 months).

Beyond that, well, I’d hate to even think about how crazy I can go.

Cheers,

Did your own record cutting machine make anyone's list?:)

cutter1.jpg

From a cool site (but where are the stats?):
http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/Sound_Room.htm

Beat_Dominator said:
This thread was funny for me to read after the recent "happenings"
laugh.gif

Again, I'm embarrassed. I'm walking away from this forum with my head down.

:(

kach22i said:
Did your own record cutting machine make anyone's list?:)

cutter1.jpg

From a cool site (but where are the stats?):
http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/Sound_Room.htm

He has a pair or Quads sitting in the other room! That picture is really old,LOL The machine still resides there by the front door just with other equipment next to it now. There are a pair of Wilson Sophia's in that spot where the old speakers are in the picture. :rolleyes:

Short term-getting a Bryston 4b SST for my Vantages and use my Outlaw 7500 for the other 5 channels-route the subwoofer to Vantages in my 7. 1 system

Next: Decent sub woofer

Next upgrade to Vista, get a vey good sound card etc (192 etc) to replace my m-audio 24/96 card.

Next More good CDs/DVDs

Next: HD DVD or Blu Ray

Next: replace Lexicon DC-1 with HD DVD compatible processor

Next upgrade by read ceiling speakers (currenlty inexepensive NHT, perhaps with ML)

Next replace my 1985 vintage Carver 1.5T amp (Bryston??) for my still wonderful B&W 801 series one speakers

Next????

Joel

A new turntable circa 1 to 2 years $15,000 max!

New Speaks, CLX's?

within 5 years another 1000 albums!

My plans are:
1 year: new panels for my Sequels, Goldpoint stepped attenuator for my Mac preamp, upgraded tone control circuits;

1 - 2 years: build me a new amplifier and preamp, tube universal player;

2 - 5 years: dedicated HT setup, 60" HD monitor, more modern or new MLs;

5 - 10 years: major remodel to create an ideal listening / viewing environment;

10 - 20 years: I'll be too deaf and blind to care anymore! :p

Back