What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I’ve reached nirvana. I think. I listened to a well known. Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon. I’ve not heard in many a year. Especially since I got my ML11’s. Plus add my dual SVS PB16 subs. I may have caused some structural damage to my ceiling. I’ve never heard such. Not playing excessively loud either. But. The stage separation was just overwhelming. I had to make sure I hadn’t gotten switched to Atmos or some other processed DSP. I’m still in shock well after I finished listening. It may not be everyone’s top listen or artist, but I beg you to give it a whirl. I’m a changed man.

Ok. I’ve reached nirvana. I think. I listened to a well known. Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon. I’ve not heard in many a year. Especially since I got my ML11’s. Plus add my dual SVS PB16 subs. I may have caused some structural damage to my ceiling. I’ve never heard such. Not playing excessively loud either. But. The stage separation was just overwhelming. I had to make sure I hadn’t gotten switched to Atmos or some other processed DSP. I’m still in shock well after I finished listening. It may not be everyone’s top listen or artist, but I beg you to give it a whirl. I’m a changed man.
A most excellent album, and an all time favorite! I’ve had it in my rotation since first hearing DSOTM on 8 track in the car of a friend, in 1973 when I was a 16 year old. A few years ago I picked up a copy on 180 gram vinyl. It’s on my portable FLAC player, and on my mobile device.

Attachments

• 6FD8EB7B-D740-474A-9080-19E1CA975B5E.jpeg
    6FD8EB7B-D740-474A-9080-19E1CA975B5E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
It really is amazing how much better one recording can be than another. It's too bad that there's some great music out there that could sound so much better if it were recorded better. Sometimes it doesn't correlate with age either. Some of the older stuff sounds better than current releases. I always figured modern technology would trump old.

It really is amazing how much better one recording can be than another. It's too bad that there's some great music out there that could sound so much better if it were recorded better. Sometimes it doesn't correlate with age either. Some of the older stuff sounds better than current releases. I always figured modern technology would trump old.
That is so true. Even with my less than great hearing from drums and age, I can still hear immediately if a recording is well done or not (of course that could be subjective). Many of the old recorded material I think they took great pride and effort in getting the sound stage just right, and actually thought about how it should sound for the listener when they were listening. Much of today seems just thrown together. Of course a lot depends on the studio, engineers, and how much the artist knows or cares. I still find so called "old" stuff that sounds way better than much of today. To bad since with technology one would think they would have made improvements easily. Wait till AI starts doing recordings. That could be anywhere from great, to ear trashing.

Exactly, funny how even the remastered version of Queensryche operation mindcrime sounds horrible but the 52-year-old Cat Stevens teaser and the Firecat sounds amazing.

Last edited:
G'day maties, trust y'all are enjoying those fine tunes!

Not quite sure if I posted this one... anyway just in case I missed it. Another fantastic album from a duet with Anne Bisson and this French cellist. Superb work!

The arrangements are really tops and the way he blends in the cello with Annie Bisson's voice and piano finesse is smooth as silk. Doesn't get any better than this.
There aren't many of these recordings, just a handful, so I managed to grab this one as it was the very last in the store.

Woof! RJ

Attachments

• 20230530_011527.jpg
    20230530_011527.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
So much of what I listen to is what I grew up with, I still love most of that music. Yesterday was a day for Robin Trower.
bridge of sighs.jpg

Sir of the Blues: Doug Macleod

Just listening to this one right now... superbly done!
Having been used to Keb Mo, Eric Bibb, BB etc., this guy takes it to another level! Absolutely outstanding and on a fine label, Quality Reference Recordings on 45rpm.
Now I've collected about 5 of his albums on LP and this one's by far his best!

The transients and dynamics on the strings is fantastic, and the musicality is really really tops. Doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers to Doug Mackie!
Woof! RJ

Attachments

• 20230604_010638.jpg
    20230604_010638.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The newly released remaster of the 1983 classic from Tears for Fears - The Hurting on a limited edition (now sold out, sorry) with a Steven Wilson Atmos and 5.1 remixes on PureAudio BluRay.

First listen impressions: I love the new mix, very clean and creative immersive panning, really fits the music.

However, the original tapes must be devoid of bass, as this sounds relatively 'thin' compared to modern recordings.
It was so lacking in low-end on the first few songs I had to play another source and content to verify all was good with the system.
But then songs like Memories Fade kicked in with a bit more authority. Also, the mix on this one is superb.
The rest sounded better but still, represents the tools and tastes of the era. And I was there for the first go-around of this album in the prime of my youth ;)

This new Atmos mix is the definitive version of this album, one hears so much more detail, and the positioning is so creative and appropriate to each piece. Wilson is a master at this.

TfF_theHurtingMch.jpeg

Sir of the Blues: Doug Macleod

Just listening to this one right now... superbly done!
Having been used to Keb Mo, Eric Bibb, BB etc., this guy takes it to another level! Absolutely outstanding and on a fine label, Quality Reference Recordings on 45rpm.
Now I've collected about 5 of his albums on LP and this one's by far his best!

The transients and dynamics on the strings is fantastic, and the musicality is really really tops. Doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers to Doug Mackie!
Woof! RJ
Doug Macleod performed a set at our local salon, Overture, as part of a demo several years ago. Terry Menacker seemed to know everyone in the business. Definitely one of those special moments... Mr. Macleod is the real deal.

1687024497496.png

I picked this up in a dollar bin years ago and has been one of my favorites. 1990, most of the Tuesday Night Music club fellows, impeccable musicianship, beautifully recorded, and interesting history behind it. Kevin Gilbert ( dated Sheryl Crow for a bit) was an incredible talent. His solo album ,"Thud" was excellent.

Last night, I pulled this one out of the hat. Didn't even know I had it! Vanessa's voice, and dynamics on strings is fantastic! Reproduced through stats, the level of transparency in soundstage is superb! Along with a full bodied open midrange, really tops.

This is a three LP set, the first two are the best ones. Recording done by Groove Note heavy weight 45rpm. Top quality 👌
Cheers, RJ

Attachments

• 20230619_010945.jpg
    20230619_010945.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Been in a bit of a funk recently, ended up hunting through some of my ripped albums over the weekend. A couple of perennials (for me)...
Stanley Clark/George Duke - Clark Duke Project - Wild Dog... even some "Louis, Louis"
Marillion - Fugazi - Assassing, Misplaced Childood - Pseudo Silk Kimono;
The Waterboys - Red Army Blues
Alan Parsons (project) - Eye in the Sky - Sirius;Mammagamma (Instrumentals), Gaudi - La Sagrada Famillia (LES's just bring out the arranging this guy does on his albums/collaborations)
Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Money, Final cut - The Gunner's Dream (the cut-over from vocal to sax - always sends a shiver down my spine), Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert
Jackson Browne - Lives in the balance-Soldier of Plenty
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms-Money for nothing, Brothers in Arms; Communique -
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant (The Massacree Revisted)
The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Diana Krall - The Look of Love-'S Wonderful
Jim Croche-Photographs & Memories-Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, You don't mess around with Jim
Eric Clapton - Time Pieces- I shot the sheriff
Eurythmics - Sweet Dream (are made of this); Missionary Man
Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Welcome to the pleasuredome- The World is my Oyster/Welcome to the Pleasuredome/Relax
Golden Earing - Moontan-Radar Love
Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave-Steel Monkey, Said she was a dancer, Budapest; Aqualung-Aqualung;
Joe Cocker - Have a little Faith- Whole album

... to be continued..

An artist listed above produced another listed artist/group's well known album... whoever guesses that gets a putty-medal!

Back