What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20210313-174753~2.png

Picked this up Friday and if you’re interested in jazz you might want to grab a copy

Attachments

• 42FE44D6-09F0-4BBD-825F-EA79202116D9.jpeg
    42FE44D6-09F0-4BBD-825F-EA79202116D9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
I have re-discovered Steely Dan. I am not sure it is the age factor or the fact that my audio playback quality has really improved allowing me to enjoy this under-appreciated band. I ended up buying their entire CD collection separately all re-mastered. The level of artistry is astonishing. Their music begs to be heard on ML speakers as it is filled with lighting-fast start and stop of musical notes combined with smoky vocals of late Donald Fegan. I highly recommend to at least buy two of their albums - Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic. Be forewarned, you will be hooked.

Last edited:
Glad you found them again. For most us Steely Dan stays in heavy rotation. Also, Donald Fagen is alive but Walter Becker sadly has passed.
Check out True Companion. That gem sounds amazing on the ML's.
Enjoy!

Glad you found them again. For most us Steely Dan stays in heavy rotation. Also, Donald Fagen is alive but Walter Becker sadly has passed.
Enjoy!

Thank you for correcting me and my apologies to Mr. Fagen. I have been looking online for a high-quality concert preferably on Blu Ray of the band. But unfortunately I have not found any. I will check out your recommendation.

I have detailed my recent audiophile trials and tribulations in prior posts. This morning I finally fired up the VPI and played the Analogue Productions UHQR of Jethro Tull's Aqualung which I purchased at an obscene price from the MLOC's good buddy in Salina last september but only now got around to actually playing. I am sitting here slack jawed and stupified! For I had once again convinced myself that with recent additions, mods and updates my digital system was sounding nearly as good as my analogue system. Oh I am really such a silly boy as my wife says! When push comes to shove digital is still...tinkertoy. Now if I could just convince Chad to release a UHQR of RT's Bridge of Sighs...

Michael Franks "Tiger in the Rain" When It's Over Flora Purim on background vocals
via the VPI Prime Signature- sublime.

A while back I bought this WWII veterans record collection. About 1700 Records for $90.00 Sorting through them I stumbled on Julie London. Her first record "Julie is my name" was recorded in 1955 and is Mono. This album sounds really, really good, even being mono it has stage depth. (I don't know how but it does) I listened to other Julie Londons recordings and all of them sound great. Her record label was Liberty. Now listening to other Liberty Record recordings all of them are recorded very well. Do some research on Julie. She was married to some pretty famous guys and you might remember her from the TV show Emergency in the 70's Also some other interesting artists recorded with Liberty. Now I'm on the hunt for Liberty recordings.

Enjoy!
Steely Dan is one reason I bothered to get a decent listening system. Ditto Jeff Beck, Paul Simon, etc. Otherwise I’d just watch something in the Home Theater.

I am more convinced than ever that separate HT and Listening systems are beneficial, but if you can only have one, make it a HT with lots of room treatment and listen to music in > 2 channel. Just my 2 cents.

I discovered Brian Auger in the mid 70s, and have had this album (in format or another) in rotation since. Yeah - it's one of those... :)

Attachments

• Brian Auger - Closer to it.jpg
    Brian Auger - Closer to it.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 9
Back