what amp to use with Renaissance 15a

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been powering my renaissance (15As) with Spectral 400’s, I have no complaints, but you may have to wait awhile to get a pair as there only a few operations in the US that sell Spectral equipment.
I cannot find any Spectal Audio dealer info. Spectal's web site is not great to navigate. Can you clue us in on any dealer in the USA please?

Anything that produces 100+ watts per side should do for power, what you really want to look for is impedance stability, I'd look for amplifiers that continue to double down until at least 2 ohm.

The new Schiit Tyr monoblocks would drive them well for about $3400US for the pair, they can drive low impedance loads no issue they say. Lots of other options as well depending how deep you want to dig into your bank account. Pass labs class A amps will drive almost anything as well.
Have you used these amps, or know anyone who has?

I contacted Schiit to quiz them about 0.7Ω impedance capability. They replied that they have not tested that low but that "the Tyr should be quite stable at low impedance".

They don't have a trial period, it's a 15 day money back guarantee so there's a "small restocking fee". So if it's a 5% restocking fee, that would be $160 cost added to the shipping, then double that or triple that if the restocking fee is higher. So it's about $3600 shipped, and about 10% of that to ship back and return, assuming the restocking fee is 5%. That's a pretty big audition cost.

I find this amp intriguing, so, I guess I need to know more.

Have you used these amps, or know anyone who has?

I contacted Schiit to quiz them about 0.7Ω impedance capability. They replied that they have not tested that low but that "the Tyr should be quite stable at low impedance".

They don't have a trial period, it's a 15 day money back guarantee so there's a "small restocking fee". So if it's a 5% restocking fee, that would be $160 cost added to the shipping, then double that or triple that if the restocking fee is higher. So it's about $3600 shipped, and about 10% of that to ship back and return, assuming the restocking fee is 5%. That's a pretty big audition cost.

I find this amp intriguing, so, I guess I need to know more.
I just thought I'd throw it out there, they make solid gear and they say this can be an end game amplifier. It's worth remembering that the 0.7 ohm minimum impedance is just that, the minimum, it's not really going that low all that often. Also these amps likely cost a fraction of most other big name options.

I've used smaller offerings from Schiit with fantastic results and I still have and use their pre-amp today.

I highly doubt you'll get any amplifier manufacturer to actually tell you in writing that they can drive under one Ohm

Last edited:
I highly doubt you'll get any amplifier manufacturer to actually tell you in writing that they can drive under one Ohm
I always ask to get a response that I can pick at. But there are some who are unafraid, like D'Agostino who states the only limitation is being able to provide enough electric power to the amps. Now granted, this is a comparison with amps costing 100 times more, but still . . . .

I know of many who have Schiit products and give glowing reviews. I just question the cost vs what is claimed. Is this one of those times when we can get in on the ground floor before the world catches on and prices go up? Dunno. But like I said, it's intriguing enough and may be worth the gamble, but for charging a restocking fee they really should offer more time to try.

I always ask to get a response that I can pick at. But there are some who are unafraid, like D'Agostino who states the only limitation is being able to provide enough electric power to the amps. Now granted, this is a comparison with amps costing 100 times more, but still . . . .

I know of many who have Schiit products and give glowing reviews. I just question the cost vs what is claimed. Is this one of those times when we can get in on the ground floor before the world catches on and prices go up? Dunno. But like I said, it's intriguing enough and may be worth the gamble, but for charging a restocking fee they really should offer more time to try.
Maybe give them a call? I understand they have some pretty knowledgeable people over there.

Maybe give them a call? I understand they have some pretty knowledgeable people over there.
I will call them. I doubt they'll say anything different than what they said in the email, but at least I'd be able to ask some other questions and get a better sense about them as a company and the type of speakers they're designing this amp for.

I did find a video with a brief explanation about the massive choke, which was informative. Go to 33 minutes for the choke info.

The Tyr has 24 output devices, more=better (usually), which brings up the question again, how can they offer this amp for $1599? I guess I'm talking myself into ordering a pair . . . .

I have a pair of solid state Parasound JC1 amps, but I prefer two Primaluna EVO 400 amps in mono block mode with either EL34 power tubes or Tungsol 6550s. The low impedance has not been an issue. Great sounding speakers with tubes.

I have been using PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks for left, right (ESL 15-A) and center (ESL34A) with excellent results. I don’t have a reference point other than my excellent experience with Martin Logan, Anthem, PS Audio, Rega and Reavon products. PS Audio also has 600 monoblocks now, but I haven’t heard them. I also have GIK room treatment panels to help the acoustics of a difficult room. I can’t offer insights for other amplifiers, but I’m pretty sure you’d like the amazing sound of the 15 A’s driven by the PS Audio monoblocks.

I've heard a lot of amps on the 15A's and settled with Boulder 2160. I've owned and operated the 15A's with a McIntosh MC452, an Audio Research 160S, and now the Boulder 2160. Hands down the best Amplifier I've had on the 15A's is the 2160. I demoed the Boulder 1160 along with other brands such as Dan D'agostino and Pass Labs but really loved the Boulder 2160 in the end.

How about Pass Labs? I think you're 15a deserves them. I am very happy with my Pass Int 60, and listened to a lot of amps - both when demoing and as loaners in my house, while I was waiting for the Pass. Nothing competed with the Pass except other Pass! If you need more juice, or want separates - you can go up the line as needed/budget will allow. I don't think anyone ever got a Pass Labs amp and didn't like it.

Hello,
I’m using the Mark Levinson No 5805 amp and it handles the 15a very well. Tons of power and clarity. I play at very loud volumes sometimes and never have any issues. I had the Esoteric F05 and that couldn’t handle it. Kept overloading at higher volumes.

I've heard a lot of amps on the 15A's and settled with Boulder 2160. I've owned and operated the 15A's with a McIntosh MC452, an Audio Research 160S, and now the Boulder 2160. Hands down the best Amplifier I've had on the 15A's is the 2160. I demoed the Boulder 1160 along with other brands such as Dan D'agostino and Pass Labs but really loved the Boulder 2160 in the end.
Boulder is very nice. I enjoyed mine as well.

Excellent choice if you lived within 200 miles of me I’d ask to come over and hear that. And don’t get me wrong Pass, Krell, Levinson and a lot of other amps are really good stuff (I have a Krell class A it was the best I heard in my budget). But I’ve never heard anything like Boulder.

Last edited:
Excellent choice if you lived within 200 miles of me I’d ask to come over and hear that. And don’t get me wrong Pass, Krell, Levinson and a lot of other amps are really good stuff (I have a Krell class A it was the best I heard in my budget). But I’ve never heard anything like Boulder.
Well if you ever make it to the East Coast of Virginia I'd be happy to provide a listen. Right now I'm in a temporary home while I sell my house so I have a new room and everything is different now. But I love tweaking and moving things around so it's been fun.

Currently listening to just my Expressions, no subs, with a Krell Duo 300 XD. I'm liking what I'm hearing. It's not a Boulder, but I can move it myself without extra help.

But seriously, it's only about an hour into the listening session and it's doing pretty much what I've been wanting, so far. Articulate sounds during complex passages aren't getting stomped on, they're easily making it through the mix.

Currently listening to just my Expressions, no subs, with a Krell Duo 300 XD. I'm liking what I'm hearing. It's not a Boulder, but I can move it myself without extra help.

But seriously, it's only about an hour into the listening session and it's doing pretty much what I've been wanting, so far. Articulate sounds during complex passages aren't getting stomped on, they're easily making it through the mix.
There's nothing wrong with amps that you can move by yourself lol. Sometimes you need to think about how much power you're actually using on a regular basis.

From what I have found, stability is much more important than maximum power.

It's not easy but I can move the Boulder by myself in my room. Have done it multiple times already. Now lifting it and moving it from my old house to the new house; I hired movers for that. LOL

And trust me, I get it, I probably look like an idiot to everyone here for spending that kind of money on an amp. Hell I'm sure most of you think I'm just a dumbass with money for doing so; but that's ok. If I hadn't heard the difference for myself and wasn't so impressed I wouldn't have sold my Jeep to pay for it. LOL But in the end it just out performed the other options that were there in the room so why settle? Trust me when I say it; I'd wished I never swapped it out during the demo and I had never heard the difference; but I did and now I'm here. LOL

I'll put it to you this way; Its like going to an amazing Steakhouse and paying $40+ dollars for a steak. Once you try it; its hard to get that out of your head when eating a steak you make for yourself at home. Yah its good but not as good. LOL And the time I got out of my Honda Accord and test drove an E Class; there was no going back. It was just better in every way. I'm not telling the creator of this thread to go out and buy a Boulder; but what I will say is Demo as many amps as you can afford with your speakers because you might not know what you are missing until its too late. Or don't and go with what you want. Either way as long as you are happy and happy throughout the process I'm happy for you.

Back