What about Ascent i, Aeon i, Clarity with new xstat range...?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garmtz

Reaction score
We all know that the Odyssey/Prodigy will be replaced by Summit and the Theater i will be replaced by the Stage, but what about the Ascent i, Aeon i, Clarity, Script i and Cinema i? What happens with these? Will there be other models in the Xstat range that will supersede these speakers in the near future?

I was wondering the same thing but ML and the distributers are tight lipped....

Gotta sell their old stock first I guess.

The Prodigy and Odyssey's are already out of production.

Last edited:
The Prodigy, odyssey, and Statment E2 were never given “i” status, now we know why (XStat).

Martin Logan has said the current ESL’s will not change any time soon, which in Martin Logan terms probably not till next year.

There will be a big gap between the Ascent i and the new Summit. I wonder if it will be filled :confused:

Don’t think so.

Rumor has it the replacement for the Ascent i will be based off the Summit with one front firing woofer and no internal amps.

The clarity could get a taller panel closer to the size of the Aeon, and the Aeon could get the Axe along with the Odyssey. In my option.

Martin Logan has been sharing a lot of parts with there different speakers to obviously cut coasts, (Clarity, Mosaic, Montage). Clarity could be upgraded to keep the same bass unit and take over for the Aeon. All speculation of cores.

Zip3kx07 said:
Don’t think so.

Rumor has it the replacement for the Ascent i will be based off the Summit with one front firing woofer and no internal amps.

The clarity could get a taller panel closer to the size of the Aeon, and the Aeon could get the Axe along with the Odyssey. In my option.

Martin Logan has been sharing a lot of parts with there different speakers to obviously cut coasts, (Clarity, Mosaic, Montage). Clarity could be upgraded to keep the same bass unit and take over for the Aeon. All speculation of cores.

The Ascent and Summit are already similar in size,and the Summit is able to match the Prodigy output at that size. I would suspect the Ascent replacement to shrink to maybe the size of of the Aeon with powered Sub. The output would be the same as the present size Ascent but a smaller footprint. And you could delete the 2nd powered sub and keep the price at 4K. That would definately be a bargain.

The Aeon probably would not be replaced. Its range is covered by the Mosaic and Clarity.

Prodigy vs summit

This is my 1st foray into high end speakers. I like the Martin Logans. I may have the chance to purchase a set of Prodigy's brand new for around $7200. Would you recommend waiting for the Summit (even thought it will cost more) or moving ahead of the Prodigy?

Another comment was the Prodigy had not received i status. Is this significant?

Zip3kx07 said:

Don't forget, the Clarity was the first speaker with the 'MicroPerf' stators, so it's panel is already using some of the new technology. So, with Clarity you've already got some of the technology that allows a smaller panel to deliver much of the sound that you'd expect from a bigger panel.

Cheers,

David

DavidG said:
Don't forget, the Clarity was the first speaker with the 'MicroPerf' stators, so it's panel is already using some of the new technology. So, with Clarity you've already got some of the technology that allows a smaller panel to deliver much of the sound that you'd expect from a bigger panel.

Cheers,

David

Thats true and so does the Theater i, and Aeon i.

In the beginning when Martin Logan was coming out with the Generation 2 ESL panels, the question was asked why only the small panels have “Micro Perf”; Martin Logan’s response was that it made no difference on the large panels. I guess they were wrong.

One thing to keep in mind is the spec’s of the Ascent i and the Summit. You may think they are the same, they both have clear spar, 13” wide panel, and.

If you look at the specs of the Ascent vs. the Ascent i, you will notice the specs are the same, both are 90db sensitive, independence 4 Ohms min 1.2. "Generation 2" ELS dident do to much to the sound eather.

Now look at the Summit vs. the Ascent I

"ASCENT i"
Frequency Response: 35–22,000 Hz ±3 dB
Dispersion
Horizontal: 30 degrees
Vertical: 4' (122cm) line source
Sensitivity: 90 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance: 4 ohms, 1.2 ohms at 20kHz
Crossover Frequency: 280 Hz

"SUMMIT"
Frequency Response: 24-23,000 Hz ± 3dB
Horizontal Dispersion: 30 degrees
Vertical Dispersion: 44” (112cm) line source
Sensitivity: 92 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance: 4 ohms, 0.7 ohm at 20kHz
Crossover Frequency: 270 Hz

A much more efficient panel that can play louder, has a lower independence than the ascent. And the new Xstat panel is 4 inches shorter then the ascent. I don’t know about you but I would call that an advancement in ESL technology.

Still think the clarity will give me a taste of what Xstat can do?

Zip3kx07 said:
A much more efficient panel that can play louder, has a lower independence than the ascent. And the new Xstat panel is 4 inches shorter then the ascent. I don’t know about you but I would call that an advancement in ESL technology.

Still think the clarity will give me a taste of what Xstat can do?

Do I sense a little hostility here?

Think you missed the point! If MicroPerf etc can give the improvement ML reckons it can from a much smaller panel, then they won't need to alter the range a huge amount. Clarity / Aeon i can be replaced (or not) with a single model, built around the base unit / panel design of the Clarity - and without much loss of performance.

A taste of XStat? Who knows? XStat consists of two new elements 'Vacuum Bonding' and 'MicroPerf'. MicroPerf is already in the Clarity, and according to MLs website 'reveals more open playable area in each panel, offering increased performance from even more compact stat panels.'

I'm simply pointing out that with this, we seem to be able to get comparable sound from a much smaller panel. This has great appeal to me 'cause it increases the WAF of all speakers that use it!!!

Cheers,

David

DavidG said:
Do I sense a little hostility here?

Nope. :rolleyes:

"Xstat"
Advanced Vacuum Bonded Construction • MicroPerf Stators • CLS™ (Curvilinear Line Source) • ClearSpar™ • Plasma Bonded Diaphragm • Low-Mass Diaphragm • Push-Pull Operation • Direct Full-Surface Drive • Dipole Radiation

EDIT

If Xstat is every thing people are claiming it to be, more open, transparent, dynamic, ETC. I don’t think the clarity’s are going to blend in very will with the summits. That’s were I am going with this. Not that I want a Clarity Xstst speaker, but I want all my speakers to be matched together sonically.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the new Stage speaker,it will have the capability to play as stereo mains too. That speaker will figure somewhere in the plans of the Aeon and Ascent replacements.

Back